71 240z on Ebay

gav240z

• Administrators

Great looking car.

Asking 35k

Item number: 280287039762

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1971-Datsun-240Z-Orange-M-Coupe_W0QQitemZ280287039762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Cars?hash=item280287039762&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Owner Comments:

1971 original 1 owner 240Z. 68000 miles. Concourse condition. All original. New Performance 16 inch Watanabe copy rims. Zero rust. Perfect interior and trim. Possibly the best in Australia.

4990_.jpg

4992_.jpg

4994_.jpg

Hmmmm if its from Edward lee's shop, havent heard the best about the other cars they sell. Im sure their personal cars are a diff story though.. Just had a look though and they also have imported another 240z but doesnt have a price.... Maybe they are getting into the older market as well now.

Hi guys

New to the AusZcar forum....

...so is this car as legit as they say it is?  And is it worth that much for what it is?  Any known issue(s) with this particular car since it seems to be well known here?

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Superlites are not watanabe copy rims  ::)

Well technically they are not an exact copy, but they are a knock off of the original design idea.

I think this car looks sounds, like any zed I'd get it checked for rust issues though and check to see engine number matches that on the compliance plate.

I can't really flaw much in it to be honest, but if I was being really really picky.

1.) Exhaust tip is not the original design

2.) The drivers door panel has been cut for a speaker and covered over (door trims are expensive now - pay $500 - $800 for a good brand new set).

3.) Don't think those are the wing mirrors it left the factory with. But they are close.

4.) Would hope he still has original hub caps as they are getting quite scarse and expensive now. They are D pattern hub caps, not the Z ones.

Some real positives:

1.) Dashboard looks like its never been reskinned - so original pattern (glove box is darker colour though??)

2.) Original centre console and choke / hand throttle cables.

3.) Appears to have early seats (non reclining)

4.) Not sure when the 2400CC valve cover was stopped, but since it doesn't have vents in hatch I assume its got the correct rocker cover.

This is a real transitional year car so some bits on it are very early, while others are more like the later 240's.

I'd say its a worthwhile car, provided its rust free.

Actually, Superlites are knock-offs of the UK Minilites, which have been around since the 60s or before.  Shamelessly incorporating "lites"  into the name for subliminal word association.

I don't know when the Japs first designed Watanabes, but I don't recall them being around in the 50s, so I would bet they, too, were copying Minilites.

Well technically they are not an exact copy, but they are a knock off of the original design idea.

I don't know when the Japs first designed Watanabes, but I don't recall them being around in the 50s, so I would bet they, too, were copying Minilites.

:o Are you all accusing the Japanese of copying European designs  :o

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Which was a UK design from the 50's The mini-lites as stated above.

To say Superlites knocked off the design from Watanabe, is like saying Jaguar knocked off the design of the e-type from the 240Z.

• 1 month later...

My personal view is that this car is not being offered by a genuine seller. I have contacted the dealership 3 times now. 1ce, I've arrived unannounced and was told the car was with the owner (the owner of the car yard). I have left my number and my business card for them to call me back (before Christmas). As no one called, I rang them again, and was told by a sales person that the car is "kind of for sale, but not for sale"???..I think he is using this ad as a draw card/web hit (or something) for his Japanese import car business. That's all I can assume as I have no other reasonable explanation.

• 1 year later...

I have mentioned this before - educated guess - I would say this is a "tax dodge".

I reckon the two Zeds he continues to advertise "for sale" are his personal cars. 

If he advertises them and "never" sells them - he can claim the stock as a loss on his business books.  That's why when people ask if it is for sale - his staff say "kind of" - 'cause they do not know if the question is coming from an undercover tax inspector OR a genuine enquiry.  Essentially he gets to own the cars while his business slowly pays for them via the loss adjustment.  Cars will eventually pay for themselves and will be written off as "unsellable stock".

Not a very honest way to be going about things.  Possibly a reflection how he manages the rest of his business?  Dunno. While I can't blame a guy for wanting to get back at the taxman - doing it this way would be confusing a lot of potential Z car owners - which ain't so cool.

Would laugh if someone comes up with cash and goes the "buy it now" option on ebay.  He will be legally obligated to sell! 

Just guessing mind you.....  ;)

tad harsh but....if you earn the money or own the property/house....you pay the tax (or should).

elect the government that you hope will use it best....to provide the services that you would otherwise have to pay for (avoiding privatisation debate).

Mimisation (ie. tax deductions, salary sacrifice etc are fine) but blatant tax dodges, especially where they waste other peoples time (much like writing a long off-topic post) are not. In short....if you are not selling it, it should not be advertised....whatever the purpose, whether real estate agent, car dealer, lawyer, accountant or criminal (there's a joke in there somewhere).....

nice zed.....sorry about the hijack.