Vos 260Z 2+2 Build

Just editting this first post so the thread makes more sense:

Hi All,

I'm new here and my son (who will probably chime in here shortly) and I are embarking on a 260Z project. It may be too early to start this thread, but I inadvertently started some discussion on this build in another thread, so creating this now to move discussion to where it should be.

We have been looking for a Z for some time, but had difficulty finding anything we could get to during COVID. A few cars we were interested in fell through as they were interstate and we could not get to them quick enough due to lockdowns (we are in Sydney). We wanted a project that we could make to our wants rather than a completed car, but we wanted something with a good body as we are no experts in bodywork, and we wanted something that was cheap enough that it was worthwhile not just buying a completed car. We realised pretty quickly that our budget was not going to stretch to a 2 seater, so we had been mainly focusing on a 260Z 2+2. This is actually good since it will be nice to be able to take the whole family of 4 out for a drive. We do however prefer the look of the 2 seater, but a 2+2 looks great also. 

We ended up taking a bit of a risk and winning the following auction sight unseen. So the only info we have is in the auction:

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-60011043/classic-cars/1977-datsun-260z-5speed-manual?spr=true

It is in transit currently. When we get it, we will find out whether we did really well or really badly!!

Our plans for this car are:

* We want a nice modernized retro JDM aftermarket styled external look... so larger but era correct wheels etc.
* Drivetrain is planned to be RB25/30 NA with ITBs... want to retain the Z NA 6 throaty sound while getting some more power and modern reliability.
* Interior will try to maintain stock look but add in modern sounds system etc.

The car will not be a daily driver, and will be garaged when not in use. But we do intended to use it often for weekend drives/cruises/meetups etc. My family is into cars but this style is new to us. I have a lot of experience in modified 90-00 JDM cars and have a 500hp WRX I use in motorsports that I pretty much built myself (except the engine bottom end). I used to work in aftermarket engine management, so I'm good with auto electrical. I am an Electrical Engineer and my son is studying to do the same. 

Anyway, that is about all I have so far. Will update when we get the car about a week from now and then we start sorting through what we actually got!

Cheers!

On 1/12/2022 at 6:56 PM, ScottyD said:

Fits well, looks good and goes hard. Plenty of parts here and in the US to make it easy. Enjoy the build.

Thanks for the tip! I believe there is some tricks to getting the RB25 head to work with the RB30... and possibly with getting the RB30 sump into an S30. Is there a build thread that details any of this you are aware of?

Edited by vosadrian

• Administrators
2 hours ago, vosadrian said:

Thanks for the tip! I believe there is some tricks to getting the RB25 head to work with the RB30... and possibly with getting the RB30 sump into an S30. Is there a build thread that details any of this you are aware of?

Castlemaine Rod Shop I believe make mounts for RB engines in S30Z's. A 200ZR sump from an Z31 used to be the go to for a rear sump on an RB motor that would fit a Z sub-frame, but who knows how available those are these days?

I would check legalities of RB30 block / 25 head from an engineering perspective in your state. I think on pre-emissions vehicles like 240z's it wasn't an issue, but later 260z's there may be some red-tape... Although I'm sure it hasn't stopped others in the past.

3 hours ago, vosadrian said:

Im in the middle of doing an RB25 into 260z 2+2. I tried for ages to find the sump Gav is talking about but they are becoming quite hard to come by! I ended up using a Nissan patrol sump as the bulge is at the opposite end. Just needs to have a little bit cut out to make it a slimmer profile and then the oil pick up shortened to suit. 

3 hours ago, vosadrian said:

I built a couple of these around 15 years ago now. I had the specs for the longer timing belt & where to drill & tap a hole at the front of the block for the 2nd idler pulley, but stuffed if I know where it all is now. Jump on the net, there's got to be something there. They are a great conversion with great torque produced from this combo. The head to get is the RB25DE (non-turbo) as it flows better.

Thanks guys!

Our thinking was RB30 bottom end with some descent rods/pistons etc. to do 8000RPM and RB25DE series 2 (with NVCS) heads with some aftermarket cams to get it to make peak power in the 7-8000 range and hopefully still idle and cruise OK. Combined with ITBs and should sound nice and make around 200kW flywheel. Is anyone aware of a workshop in Sydney who knows the ins and outs of these hybrid RB engine builds? 

Is it time for me to start a build thread to keep off topic out of here?

Cheers!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Millerman said:

Im in the middle of doing an RB25 into 260z 2+2. I tried for ages to find the sump Gav is talking about but they are becoming quite hard to come by! I ended up using a Nissan patrol sump as the bulge is at the opposite end. Just needs to have a little bit cut out to make it a slimmer profile and then the oil pick up shortened to suit. 

Do you know the part no.? I can try look it up.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, 240ZR said:

I built a couple of these around 15 years ago now. I had the specs for the longer timing belt & where to drill & tap a hole at the front of the block for the 2nd idler pulley, but stuffed if I know where it all is now. Jump on the net, there's got to be something there. They are a great conversion with great torque produced from this combo. The head to get is the RB25DE (non-turbo) as it flows better.

https://rb30det.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/rb30_dohc.pdf

There are probably even better guides out there.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, vosadrian said:

Is it time for me to start a build thread to keep off topic out of here?

Start a new thread and I'll move the posts under there.

• Administrators

The order of posts is a bit ass-about I'll check to see if I can re-organise them somehow in the software.

4 hours ago, gav240z said:

Do you know the part no.? I can try look it up.

11110-VB310

i just had a look through amayama and came up with this number. Its from an rd28 (diesel version of the rb series) and is currently $490 + shipping from the nissan dealer!

The oil pickup too suit is part number: 15050-VB300 and is currently $58.33 + shipping from the dealer

1 hour ago, vosadrian said:

Nice work guys. So is that bolt on without modification to fit RB25/30 to S30?

Tested on an rb25 so unable to confirm fitment on rb30 but would imagine that they would be similar! 
The sump just needs to be shortened for ground clearance. I basically had the lower section removed and welded to the second drop down section. Ill grab some photos tonight when im home to show you. 

On 1/13/2022 at 1:42 PM, vosadrian said:

Is anyone aware of a workshop in Sydney who knows the ins and outs of these hybrid RB engine builds? 

In Sydney there is Croydon race development and Maatouk race engines, they have the quickest rb power Skylines in the world, but you will pay for their services.

For information on the rb engines look up the SAU forum.

To rev an Rb30 to 7/8000rpm will require knowledge, experience and $s for its longevity.

So our car arrived in Sydney:

IMG_1411.thumb.JPG.eea05bfbdb694326948356356f04fe52.JPGIMG_1416.thumb.JPG.9ac84c703cb9bdb29a5f071607979bb2.JPG

We were expecting a few surprises and there are a few, but nothing major. I think this is part of being annointed into a S30 restorer! We will be on the lookout for a few bits but it seems to have the hard to get bits. I can see we are missing some large bits:

* Fuel tank
* Bumpers
* Windscreen
* Hood liner

It has a partially dissassembled L26 (with turbo and manifold), but no gearbox. It seems to have a rear diff upgrade but we need to work out what it is. 

Our current plan is to get a RB25DE neo engine and a matching 5 speed manual (R33 RB25??) and fit that and get it running as stock initially. We have plans for RB30 hybrid and cams/porting etc later, but I think it best to debug the engine management and everything on a used engine rather than a new build. We will have to talk to an engineer first and see what we need to do that. 

The car has no rust which is great. It has a few knocks that will need some minor repairs and panel alignment and it will be getting a respray at some point, but probably we will get it all sorted and registered and then in the running state we want it in, and then dissassemble for painting as a final step. Seats and dash are in good condition. Just one minor crack in dash.

After a little advice here. This is related to NSW rego. Our car has a chassis number stamped on the firewall. But the under bonnet area has had a "bay shave" and it seems any identifying plates were removed and we cannot find them. We have done PPSR on the chassis number and it is all clear. Does anyone know if we need a compliance plate or any other identifying plate in order to get rego? And how we go about getting that if we do? Car is a 1977 model if that makes a difference to the relevant rules.

When I first read the OP and it mentioned a clean engine bay I wondered about the car's ID and provenance. There was a much modified 240Z or 260Z on FB a while back with no ID at all, meaning the owner - or new owner, as it was up for sale - might have a battle to register it if even possible.

But at least you have the VIN. Normally there would be a factory data plate with ID numbers, and an Aus-new car of that era also a compliance plate.

No old rego plates? Any history at all? As in which state it originated?

Before you go spending any more $$$ go talk to the NSW rego authorities and find out what they will need for registration. Some states are tougher than others.

We don't have the compliance plates, but we do have the chassis number. We also have receipts for work done to the car dating back decades as well as a sales receipt for the car dating back to 1978 for a second hand car sale (the car is a 77 model). So we have quite a bit of info on the car. It seems to me that the car was in for restoration work in the 90s at Chris Milton in SA, and possibly there may have been a finanical dispute and the car was recovered by the owner with partially complete work (the engine is partially built). Part of that work was the engine bay clean up. They would have removed the plates to do that work, and it seems in whatever happened they were never refitted and have been lost. 

We have done a PPSR on the chassis number and it is clean... not listed as stolen or written off. 

I agree with you that I need to find out what I can do rego wise before committing heavily to this car... otherwise it will become a race car I guess!! But if you can import a car from another country and get it registered... surely a car that has a clean chassis number and has been registered before in Australia can get whatever is required to be registered again? I will have to speak to some workshops that deal in this kind of thing.