Std Wheel Widths

bluerat

G'day Guys,

I understand the 240Z came out in Oz with 4.5 by 14 inch rims, as stated in the Homogation papers, Is it true that in the US they were fitted with 5.5 by 14 inch rims standard and does anybody know what the G-noned Zed came out with in regard to rim width and size?? Also were the 260Z(Aust) and 280Z(US) fitted with 4.5 inch rims or larger?

Thanks

from what i can tell alot of g-nosed cars came from the factory with quite skinny wheels still, so not making use of the flares.

However, watanabes in 14" x 5.5, 8 and 10" were all factory options (the only year i am sure of this is 1973, but i assume that in the years after, this was the case also). I am hoping to eventually get an offical copy of the sports options parts catalog that i can keep in the glove box etc.

This is therefore my argument to police should they ever question my 9.5" rims, as vicroads regulations only state they must b within 1-2" of the widest factory option, without making mention of the country...although i am fairly sure in court i would loose :(

I've scanned the Page from the 240Z homogation papers for you Zedevan, as it lists the wheel size options, you are right theyn are 7.0inch, 8.0inch and 10 inch, but it came out crap!!! and not worth posting! I could post a photocopy if you want.

So nato, what does NOT 4.5" mean??, no they are not 4.5inches std?

• Administrators

from what i can tell alot of g-nosed cars came from the factory with quite skinny wheels still, so not making use of the flares.

However, watanabes in 14" x 5.5, 8 and 10" were all factory options (the only year i am sure of this is 1973, but i assume that in the years after, this was the case also). I am hoping to eventually get an offical copy of the sports options parts catalog that i can keep in the glove box etc.

This is therefore my argument to police should they ever question my 9.5" rims, as vicroads regulations only state they must b within 1-2" of the widest factory option, without making mention of the country...although i am fairly sure in court i would loose :(

I find this quite strange because you see lots of tubbed street legal vehicles. So I wonder how the rules vary on this, as there are many rides out there with far wider wheels than standard and far taller too. Unless of course they are all illegally modified, which I find hard to believe.

Went for a surf on the Vic:PRoads website  Ewwww

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

That's the link.

Section 8 ( i apologize to the mentally challenged ) says no wider than 25mm.

So i think i'm in a large group of people who are up S#%t Creek without a paddle

"the width of any replacement rim must not be more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series"

in japan vehicles from the same series (fairlady, 240zg, 432?) could be specified with 10" wide rims (as documented in their parts catalogs), so i interpret that it is legal to put up to approx 11" wheels onto our cars, making my 9.5" rears well within the limits :)

Bluerat, i wouldn't mind a scan of the document you were refering too if you ever get it to work out clearly!

I tried again, but its very hard to read, let alone trying to convince some officious public servant!!  Send me an address and I'll post you a photocopy, If you want to make a real impact with officaldome, ring CAMS and get the complete Homologation papers...they look very impressive!!

If your worried, why dont you just get them signed off by an engineer? the cop's can't argue with that!

Yes they can.  It doesn't matter how much you know more than them, they can still slap a sticker on your car and make you take it over the pits.  Technically, any modification, unless a genuine option, has to be engineered, unless its an adr approved direct swap.  So bolting a different seat on to standard rails, still has to be engineered, because its not original and not designed for that car.  I hate some of their stupid rules.

• 2 weeks later...