Shannon’s Z car review

ScottyD

I would have thought the design brief would have been to produce a car that would appeal to the American market and then tweak it to satisfy the rest of the world, maybe the other way round but that doesn't make commercial sense . I know we will hear about the hand brake being on the wrong side! but the biggest market didn't seem to worry about that The car that was sold in the USA had the 4 speed box and various other elements that seem to be designed solely for the American market. (don't know what they are maybe softer suspension)

If the car hadn't sold well in the USA it surely wouldn't have lasted, sales figures in the rest of the world were not good (pricing lack of supply)no idea how successful it was in the domestic market.

I have no idea where the car was first released, presumably Japan domestic sales figure would be interesting

Happy Christmas

• Administrators
On 12/23/2021 at 6:24 PM, NickF said:

If the car hadn't sold well in the USA it surely wouldn't have lasted, sales figures in the rest of the world were not good (pricing lack of supply)no idea how successful it was in the domestic market.

Weird, and yet the R32, R33 and R34 GTRs were never really sold outside of Japan (only 100 or so R32 GTRs sold in Oz) in any volumes and continue to be the fan favorites of many enthusiasts globally..

You could argue Australia is a very small automotive market and yet we made domestic cars here for many years for Australia only.

I'm sure Nissan wanted their cars to be successful everywhere but it doesn't mean they built the car to be "American".

The Japanese domestic market is large in the 70's it must have been in the low 100 million and the USA would have been double that?

It would be really interesting to know domestic market sales, you often see American sales figures which appear to be in the tens of thousands

and the rest of the world in the low thousands, but Japans????

• Administrators

Just read the article in full, Mark the author walks his Boxer (dog) past my place often. I shall have to have a word with him on his mistakes in the article lol. Sure it will go down like a lead balloon..

12 hours ago, gav240z said:

You could argue Australia is a very small automotive market and yet we made domestic cars here for many years for Australia only.

I'm sure Nissan wanted their cars to be successful everywhere but it doesn't mean they built the car to be "American".

Absolutely agree.

They adapted to satisfy the  American market and were very successful.

I wrote in haste regret at leisure 

So where did this concept that the 'Z was designed for America' come from? I have still yet to see any period Nissan advertising material making that claim. ??? 

What they did do, was ensure that the car could comfortably seat drivers of taller stature than was typically often the case with Japanese cars of the period.

On 12/27/2021 at 1:44 PM, gilltech said:

So where did this concept that the 'Z was designed for America' come from?

From Americans….

I’m sure the needs/wants of the US consumer were heavily considered during design, but to say those needs or wants were purely “American” or that it was designed solely for the USA is a bit of Uncle Sam propaganda imo 

I think propagation of this idea has spread to be truth with the help of YouTube and Larry Chen.