240 v 260 values

wildy55

Morning

After having 3 x 240Zs in the past, I’m now looking at a 260Z (2 seater). 
Excluding early girls, what’s the value difference between the two (240/260 presuming the same condition)?

Or are there so few that we are at a point now that the condition trumps the model?

Cheers

7 hours ago, NickF said:

I think condition and originality are the imperatives,

IMHO, a buyer (and therefore eventual owner) looks for a 240z as it was the first of the series even though there much fewer 260z (2 seaters). With both the 240 and 260 the critical criteria is the presence of rust especially in the hidden "structural" parts of the car as these will be the most expensive areas to repair. Originality is owner specific and in many cases only a factor when an owner decides to sell and talks it up to substantiate a higher price.

For the purist a totally original 240z would be worth more than an original 260z, however I drive a modified 240z and love the shape and style of the 2 seater so I believe the badge number is irrelevant for a non original car, the condition of the car especially the body should be major factor in price.

• Administrators

Lately price differences haven't been that extreme. It seems more important re: overall condition of bodywork/interior and mechanical work such as modifications Triple carbs etc..

A preference of a 240Z vs a 260Z or vice versa can be due to personal taste. 37yrs ago I chose a very early '74 260Z 5-spd 2-seat (a fairly bare bones NZ car) over a couple of '72 and '73 240Zs of similar prices simply because I preferred the later car refinements. As we all know Nissan kept tweaking the cars year after year. IMHO the interior design, the dashboard, console, trims etc all seem far better integrated and make for a nicer cockpit.

My 2c worth anyway.

Edited by gilltech
update

• Administrators

Certainly ventilation improved on later cars. And provision for aircon with it. Which I was reminded of in hot weather in Melbourne last weekend. Sweat box.