260z 2+2 Weight Distribution

Wally58

That's a bit harsh. People on this forum are generally very helpful, IF they have the right information. I doubt if many if any have felt the need to have their car weighed front and back.

The Zeds are generally known to have roughly 50/50 weight distribution, either wheelbase. With some variance depending on live loads such as driver, petrol etc. AFAIK and my understanding is that a barely wet 240Z is likely 51/49 front/back, but that reverses with a full tank of gas. A 2+2 is a bit heavier and a touch more at the back, but that can be offset by a big lump of A/C gear up front if fitted as many 2+2s in Australia were.

So why don't you get your engineer to base start with the 50/50 scenario and then calculate the effect the V8/trans weight will have in place of the i6/5-spd's weight. Info on USA forums would indicate there's little in it if the V8 is alloy. The unanswered question remains: what variance (%?) will he accept?

It may sound a bit harsh to you, but there is history. Regardless of what my profile says about being a newbie I have actually been a member of this forum for quite a few years and in the past some members of the forum were not always that helpful or friendly. I was hoping after a few years that situation may have changed with new people joining.

I realise that there is general consensus that the cars run at 50% - 50% but Engineers deal in facts not opinions. if it is 50% - 50% he wants documented evidence that is acceptable to the RMS. If I cant find it documented anywhere he wants me to find a stock car and get it weighed at an approved weighbridge, which I will do and pay someone for their time and trouble to do if needs be. And I did answer your question in my reply to your post in General Discussion on the October 1st, he wants it within 5%. If it goes above that he will want to see additional structural improvements.

Wally58

Trying to help. Have looked through much of the S30 data I have collected over the decades for that elusive 'official' S30 front/rear weight distribution info and no joy as yet. In various data charts I have, the weight distribution cell, if there is one, is blank. The JAF 260Z 2+2 homologation info provides probably every dimension and component weight one would ever want, but no front/rear weight distribution figures.

Maybe Nissan never published the figures, and it's been owners who have had their cars measured for their own purposes?

FWIW, the JAF info states total weight of the 2+2 with normal equipment, water, oil and spare wheel, but without fuel nor repair tools, to be 1,110kg (2447 lbs). Almost 200kg heavier than an early 2-seater.

Guess you'll have to find an owner of a stock 2+2 to help as you say.

Your engineer would have fun assessing an old 911, which I understand to be around 40/60...!!! ;D 

I've collected quite a number of '70s-era road tests of various S30s - by British, American and Australian car magazines - and the 'near 50/50 weight distribution' is often mentioned. But I have yet to find it in Nissan's own words as it were. Still looking!

• 3 months later...