260Z 2+2 Axle Weights

Wally58

I have finally just about got my LS1 powered 1976 260Z 2+2 ready for final engineering and rego. I have documentation from Datsun showing the total Kerb weight of a standard 260Z 2+2 but the Engineer needs to have verifiable weights for the front axle on its own, and then the rear axle on its own. The car only has to be relatively stock for his purposes. He needs to know the weights so he can establish distribution percentages. I was hoping someone might have something from Datsun that would provide the required information. Alternatively if someone who has a 260z 2+2 would take it to a weighbridge and get the necessary weigh bridge tickets I would be prepared to pay reasonable compensation for their time and effort.

Wally58

Curious. If the engineer wants to use distribution percentages as a determining factor then has he said what margin of difference will constitute a pass vs a fail? ??? 

I believe the Zeds are generally considered to have around 50/50 weight distribution, which alters rearward depending on whether there is a driver and maybe also a passenger included and how much fuel is carried.... Info posted online by those in the USA who have done the alloy LS1 & T56 substitution for the Datsun i6 and 5-speed indicates there is little between those engines weight-wise. Also that the only slightly heavier V8 sits further back than the i6 which further helps its case.

PS. would Kennards or the like have scales for rent by any chance? With the car sitting dead level simply weigh one wheel at a time. Would be interesting to see what the difference is at each corner...

Edited by gilltech

He wants the front and rear axle weights off a basically stock car so he can compare both the actual weights as well as percentages to mine. I still have to take my car up to the local weigh bridge and establish its front, and the rear axle weights, as well as the total vehicle weight. From all of that information he can verify that the suspension, Brakes and Mounts etc have the structural integrity and performance to handle the LS1 weight and power. He is hoping the weights are within 5% of stock so the entire process will be easier. If we are outside that limit we will have to do a bit more work. 

During construction I had the car on the digital scales we used in the past on our race cars routinely. The last time just prior to strip down for painting I had  53% front, 47% rear with 50% x 50% cross weights, but that was prior to completion and with no fluids. If it ends up coming out at that I will be over the moon. Once everything with Rego is sorted I will put it back on the scales and sort out the correct spring rates so I have frequencies of 2.0 and 2.2.  If I find at that time the individual wheel weights have been screwed up. I will have to try and move some weight around to get them right.

Wally58