R200 Half Shafts

MikeZ

Do you have the halfshaft that is splined on the inner end and bolts direct into the diff with one central bolt, rathe than the more usual ones that have a flat flnge on either end and bolt onto a little stub axle that then is bolted into the diff ? I probably didn't explain that too well.....Anyway, I swapped out an R200 in a 260Z ages ago for an R180 out of a 240K, it used these different style of shaft so I had to swap both 240K diff and 240K shafts into the zed.

The original R200 260Z shafts I took out are now in my 1600, they fitted fine. I'm not going to guarantee it would work the same way, but perhaps 1600 shafts may work for you and be easier to find than R200 zed shafts ? Early 180B's also used the same shaft as 1600's till they swapped to the alternate style later in their model life.

Edited by 1600dave

58 minutes ago, 1600dave said:

Do you have the halfshaft that is splined on the inner end and bolts direct into the diff with one central bolt, rathe than the more usual ones that have a flat flnge on either end and bolt onto a little stub axle that then is bolted into the diff ? I probably didn't explain that too well.....Anyway, I swapped out an R200 in a 260Z ages ago for an R180 out of a 240K, it used these different style of shaft so I had to swap both 240K diff and 240K shafts into the zed.

The original R200 260Z shafts I took out are now in my 1600, they fitted fine. I'm not going to guarantee it would work the same way, but perhaps 1600 shafts may work for you and be easier to find than R200 zed shafts ? Early 180B's also used the same shaft as 1600's till they swapped to the alternate style later in their model life.

Exactly as you describe Dave. No flanges at the diff U joint, direct from the U joint to splined stub axel.

Lachlan has confirmed that these are probably Skyline half shafts, and it makes sense that they'd eliminate a set of flanges. He's also got some sets available so all sorted!

Thanks guys

30 minutes ago, Mike260 said:

Exactly as you describe Dave. No flanges at the diff U joint, direct from the U joint to splined stub axel.

Lachlan has confirmed that these are probably Skyline half shafts, and it makes sense that they'd eliminate a set of flanges. He's also got some sets available so all sorted!

Thanks guys

No worries, glad you're sorted.  I was going to offer a 1600 shaft for you to either try or for me to measure up if you couldn't get what you needed, went down the shed for a look but all I have spare is a pile of worn out ones with dead uni joints and another pile like what you already have. The ones with splined end that I fitted to my brother's car were definitely from a 240K coupe, I pulled them out of it myself.

For completeness in case anyone is interested, the halfshaft is 400mm from diff flange to hub flange when fitted to a 1600 (well, when fitted to a rear suspension assembly sitting on the floor, may be a slight variations when in the car with weight on it).