Yet another 260z Owner in Adelaide

G'day Guys,

Looks like there's a few of us in Adelaide that are joining the z family! My name is Rob and I've picked up a 260z 2+2.

It's a 77 Auto with the L26. Long term I'd like to do an engine swap, possibly a VQ series engine however for now the intention is to swap in a manual box and get the old girl cleaned up and eventually running.

I started off in cars with Nissan's having owned a Pulsar, Gti-R, 32GTR (wish i didnt sell that one...) and more recently having moved across to the euro side of the house with a handful of different euro cars . It is nice however to have a JDM car back in the shed and i'm looking forward to it hopefully being a project me and the little tacker (in a few years when he's a bit older) can work together on.

Thanks for having me, looks like a great resource that is here! I'll no doubt have a million questions so apologies in advance for the dumb questions that may be inbound! 

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks guys,

Photos attached.

Having bought the car sight unseen and having only had a proper look over it today I was pleasantly surprised that the rust on it isn't as bad as i'd first thought.

I however did find and unexpected surprise. The car has an L28 in it. Would've been nice to have the original engine in it as I like the idea of having all the original significant components, but given the intent is to swap it out eventually i suppose it doesn't matter so much. Would've been nice to have matching numbers though!

I'm definitely going to need a fair few parts so i'll be on the hunt soon!

20210813_132958.jpg

20210813_133012.jpg

20210813_133029.jpg

20210813_133322.jpg

DSCN1514.jpg

DSCN1523.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

Edited by Parso

On 8/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, Oliphips said:

Great colour interior! Nice it’s original too. How far are you planning to strip it down?

Planning to take it a fair way back, probably right back so that i can be sure there isn't any hidden rust etc. Got it in the shed now and up on the lift so the plan is to start tinkering away bit by bit.

It's going to be a long game but I'm definitely a believer of do it once do it right! Already got a long list of metal that's got to get ordered! At this stage my shopping list is inner and outer lower rear quarters for both sides, rear hatch slam panel, front guards, possibly the doglegs too as i can see filler in the current ones although i'll strip them back and see what im working with first.

Anyone got recommendations of where to find front guards?

20210814_122815.jpg

20210814_122850.jpg

7 hours ago, Parso said:

Planning to take it a fair way back, probably right back so that i can be sure there isn't any hidden rust etc. Got it in the shed now and up on the lift so the plan is to start tinkering away bit by bit.

It's going to be a long game but I'm definitely a believer of do it once do it right! Already got a long list of metal that's got to get ordered! At this stage my shopping list is inner and outer lower rear quarters for both sides, rear hatch slam panel, front guards, possibly the doglegs too as i can see filler in the current ones although i'll strip them back and see what im working with first.

Anyone got recommendations of where to find front guards?

20210814_122815.jpg

20210814_122850.jpg

from the prices ive seen id be repairing the front guards, ps the lifter looks great

12 hours ago, Millerman said:

Interested where your getting a slam panel from? I need one but apparently the 2 seater ones are different (this is what rare spares told me)

Hmm just realised I wasn't logged in when i posted before! Anyway I'm pretty sure the 2+2 is just a little wider hence I grabbed a 2 seater one to see how close it would be, hopefully I can just add some metal as required.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
On 12/9/2021 at 6:44 PM, Oliphips said:

hi @Parso mind if i ask where you got your lifter from?

I like the belly lifts also, seen a few online like eBay etc.. good for low height ceilings.

Yes the fenders are basically common to both. Although different sales markets dictated whether they had cut-outs for the side indicator and/or fender mirrors or not.

The old repro fenders, a few of which may still be around, aren't a perfect fit and need a bit of tweaking to make them sit right.

Better to fix what you've got IMO, keep as much of the original metal as you can. Patch panels are available for the lower portion of the guard.

15 hours ago, gilltech said:

Yes the fenders are basically common to both. Although different sales markets dictated whether they had cut-outs for the side indicator and/or fender mirrors or not.

Good point, however gerson at KF is very accommodating and would probably be more than happy to do a custom set without side marker holes. 

repair would be best if possible, will be interesting to see what they charge for them though