HS30-00332

Jack332

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Jack332 said:

Hi

I now own S30 #332

Can anyone direct me to a reference source to find out details of the first shipment of 240Z to Australia and the specs/original fitout of components on these Series One cars

Thanks

Someone else signed up recently asking for similar information here, have a read. But perhaps you can start a new thread about your car? I know early 240z's very well and can point you in the right direction re: specs and fit out.

• gav240z changed the title to HS30-00332
4 hours ago, Jack332 said:

Hi

I now own S30 #332

Can anyone direct me to a reference source to find out details of the first shipment of 240Z to Australia and the specs/original fitout of components on these Series One cars

Thanks

There is no such thing as a "Series One 240Z".
It's an American-ism dreamt up by some druids in the 70's that has no basis in data or facts.

Edited by C.A.F.

• Administrators

The problem I have with series 1, 1.5 or 2 is that it simply isn't referenced in any Nissan literature in reference to these cars. Rather it is a made up label mostly used by North American's to describe changes they saw to the HLS30 models (LHD cars). But you need to be aware that there was also an S30, HS30, and PS30 chassis series and what applies to 1 model line may not apply to others. When I quiz North American's what series 1.5 means, I get all kinds of rubbery responses around where it begins and ends, meaning it fails the acid test when put under the microscope.

That's why it's the wrong question to ask. When you look at the S30Z series, as @HS30-Hhas stated many times before, you need to look at it as a family of cars (S30Z series) not a series of 240z. Since they were Nissan Fairlady Z, Fairlady 240z, Fairlady 240ZG, Fairlady 432 and Fairlady 432R models, as well as a Datsun 240z in export markets.

If you look in the parts manual of these cars you'll find that there was many incremental changes and part no. changes often at intervals of months (not just years) and so you can't always say a 71 240z is a series 2 (because in North America at least - I've seen 71 models with vents in the rear hatch still). And often what people "mean" by series 1 is vented rear hatch and solid c pillars. In part this is due to build date, vs delivery date vs sold date. North American cars had an ID plate in the door jamb indicating month / year of manufacture. However Australian delivered 240z's did not, instead we got a compliance plate (which is closer to date of arrival into country).

1 hour ago, Tony Mahonie said:

Hi Jack. Chasing this myself. So far, I think….?… your Z only optioned a compartment fan, but still searching for more info. C.A.F has his hands on HS30-00211, he would know more.

C.A.F may have his hands on #211 - but it's not a great reference car because it's missing a lot of the early components. Some of which I'll no doubt be helping source.

If you look in our forum signatures though you'll note that I own HS30 00150 and C.A.F owns HS30 00149. And some of us on here own even earlier cars - which again have differences not seen on later early cars. For example HS30 00051 has the Nissan 2400 OHC valve cover, but HS30 00149 and HS30 00150 did not come with that cover originally. Does this mean only HS30 00051 is a series 1? Are HS30 00150 and HS30 00149 - both series 1.5? Hopefully you can begin to see the flaws in calling these cars by a series identifier with this example, but I could rattle off many many more..

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Tony Mahonie said:

Far out! My brain has just popped. Glad I finally got round to conversing with people in the know. :D What’s the S and HS stand for anyway?

S30 is the family of car, you'd have to ask Nissan what it stands for.

The H prefix is for L24.

The prefixes and suffixes all have specific meaning for model designation and specification.

If you look at the parts manual it may help you gather some of the information you seek. It may take time to decipher but it may be an interesting journey.

If you donate to the site you can get access to a digital copy of the manual in the donating members area.

Jeff 

image.thumb.png.0a276d59a7ca1488c85ca8f761a9a0b6.png

image.png.658bc5556cb332623f6fccb7e67ad752.png

image.png.c48e2e0f36ce92356f89c75cc1a26214.png

• Administrators

There is no fixed amount. But the more the merrier. Since it's hosted via a US company and charged in $USD it means last month it was close to $250 to run the site.

Donations have thinned out a bit with lockdowns and potentially people being financially less well off without JobKeeper / seeker helping this time around.

9 hours ago, gav240z said:

The problem I have with series 1, 1.5 or 2 is that it simply isn't referenced in any Nissan literature in reference to these cars. Rather it is a made up label mostly used by North American's to describe changes they saw to the HLS30 models (LHD cars). But you need to be aware that there was also an S30, HS30, and PS30 chassis series and what applies to 1 model line may not apply to others. When I quiz North American's what series 1.5 means, I get all kinds of rubbery responses around where it begins and ends, meaning it fails the acid test when put under the microscope.

It's just another example of how the historical narrative around these Japanese cars is totally dominated - to their detriment - by the 'An American Car, Made In Japan'/'Made For The USA' babble. It's got to the stage now where even Nissan Japan's own press office are swallowing and regurgitating misinformed and skewed American opinion. 

Nissan took the Australian and NZ markets just as seriously as the North American market, and the S30-series Zs were a part of that. Australian & NZ models have a significant place in the S30-series' history and deserve to be properly recognised.       

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! OK

How about I retract the Yankee “series one” and just say “early production”. 
All I’m trying to say is I now have an early model S30, Zed, 24 ounce

Where do I find an early sales brochure (I guess Capitol Motors) or some pictures of the interior and exterior of the first 500 cars?

Also, some details on the first boatload of cars sent to Sydney, or was it Melbourne?

Cheers