Fast XR700 Ignition

Grace75

Hi,
I have a '75 260z 2+2 and I am looking into a points to Fast XR700 electronic ignition conversion, hopefully someone out there
can answer a few questions I have.

1> Which model do I purchase, I have narrowed it down to either 700-0231 or 700-0292.
2> Do I need to purchase another coil, currently I have a Bosch GT40R coil connected to the original ballast resistor.
3> Can someone post an image on how they have wired up the system.

Regards
Kerry

I have a rebuilt and recurved 280ZX electronic distributor which was also done by Performance Ignition in Nunawading, from memory it was about $300 odd for the rebuild.

I used to have an MSD aftermarket system and the rebuilt dizzy is simpler and works just as well as any aftermarket system. It actually works better than the MSD ever did!

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Agno said:

I have a rebuilt and recurved 280ZX electronic distributor which was also done by Performance Ignition in Nunawading, from memory it was about $300 odd for the rebuild.

I was gonna take my distributor there to recurve it, do you know how much timing they put into yours total? Mine seems to be too aggressive and pings if I open WOT all the way.

To answer your question, I have the 700-0231 fitted to my 75 2+2 and it works great. Much better than the Pertronix rubbish it replaced

But if you can find a 280zx dizzy that would be a better option imo

Edited by krizza

On 7/30/2021 at 3:35 PM, gav240z said:

I was gonna take my distributor there to recurve it, do you know how much timing they put into yours total? Mine seems to be too aggressive and pings if I open WOT all the way.

I don’t know the figure off the top of my head sorry. It was a good thing I took it in because apparently it was locked up and wouldn’t advance!

On 7/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, Grace75 said:

Hi,
I have a '75 260z 2+2 and I am looking into a points to Fast XR700 electronic ignition conversion, hopefully someone out there
can answer a few questions I have.

1> Which model do I purchase, I have narrowed it down to either 700-0231 or 700-0292.
2> Do I need to purchase another coil, currently I have a Bosch GT40R coil connected to the original ballast resistor.
3> Can someone post an image on how they have wired up the system.

Regards
Kerry

I've fit 2 of these to Minis and never had a problem. Cheap and easy to fit.

I do agree with CAF about performance ignition in Melb and if I was doing a full rebuild would spend the extra coin

My first choice is for a 280z distributor but the xr700 looks like a easier solution.

The scorcher/coil combo is a better option but pricier, then again you get what you pay for.

Thx everyone.

• 1 month later...