Freight Forwarder Recommendation/Advice

NickF

As above I need quite a lot of little bits from  various suppliers in USA, as many of them don't charge for internal shipping thought it might be a 

good idea to have the parcel consolidated and forwarded on to Aus

So any advice, thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated

Nick

With freight from US anything over $1000 gets taxed hard ive heard. Does this apply to the whole shipment or just individual items? Any one able to explain the process? 
guessing you buy from vendor, post to US freight forward company and then they ship to your home address? 

1 hour ago, NickF said:

As above I need quite a lot of little bits from  various suppliers in USA, as many of them don't charge for internal shipping thought it might be a 

good idea to have the parcel consolidated and forwarded on to Aus

So any advice, thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated

Nick

I’ve yet to see someone not charge me for internal shipping! Which suppliers are these!?

ive used shipito before. They offer consolidation but I believe you have to pay extra for that premium service. The standard free shipito account only holds your items for a short amount of time. I think a week or two? So you have to take into account lead times from the various vendors and if they have stock etc. 

55 minutes ago, Millerman said:

With freight from US anything over $1000 gets taxed hard ive heard. Does this apply to the whole shipment or just individual items? Any one able to explain the process? 
guessing you buy from vendor, post to US freight forward company and then they ship to your home address? 

Yes that’s how it works. 

I believe it’s by item? But don’t quote me. I’ve had lots of orders over 1k and not been charged any import tax/duties or gst. I’ve brought in over 5k worth (separate orders and suppliers) of repair panels and not been charged anything. Maybe WA customs are slack? 

I’ve just accepted I’ll be paying a shitload in shipping over the build. Can’t escape it so just have to embrace the no lube reaming we get for being so far away.

I have an excel parts list and the supplier I want to purchase from, then when I decide to buy something from them I make sure I buy all the parts on my list from them so I can consolidate on the shipping 

JDM car parts offer free shipping and I thought Datsun car  source used to (not now) 

When I looked at the reviews of the forwarders there were a lot of unhappy punters

So much fun

• Administrators

JDM car parts often says he won't ship certain items international I've found.

I believe you get taxed on total orders about $1,000 not individual.

For large items I've used USAtoAus.com - like panels, steel wheels etc.. but it's a slightly painful experience.

11 minutes ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

not been taxed on anything. maybe it’s luck?

Didn't they change all this and GST is charged on all imports regardless of the amount? - many sellers include the GST in the invoiced amount.

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/international-tax-for-business/gst-on-low-value-imported-goods/information-for-consumers/

48 minutes ago, AndBir said:

Didn't they change all this and GST is charged on all imports regardless of the amount? - many sellers include the GST in the invoiced amount.

I don’t think so. I’ve only paid the amount for parts and shipping, no taxes were added. Any taxes were local US taxes included in the price. Aussie GST is supposed to be collected upon receival at customs. But it’s just never happened...

49 minutes ago, NickF said:

Is that US tax? 

I thought all goods to Australia were taxed GST and import duty.

that’s what I thought too. But as I say it hasn’t happened yet... I assume it’s only a matter of time before i have to pay tax on something 

So far I’ve brought in orders of 2k from KF vintage, 1.2k from MSA, $500 from the UK, 1k from zcarsource, 1k from bumper automobile.....

these all came direct from the suppliers, no freight forwarders.

maybe WA customs are a bit lax? 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

1 hour ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

these all came direct from the suppliers, no freight forwarders.

maybe WA customs are a bit lax? 

The ATO is going after the big fish first, all the big players like Amazon and Ebay etc... is required to put on GST.

The smaller players they are letting it through as it would cost more to try and charge the 10% GST (in man hour).

If your retail shop used USPS or DHL or good shipping company they all do their own clearing for you, else you have to do custom clearing and all that when it hurts.