Factory paint questions

NickF

A couple of questions regarding original paint 

When wings removed there was no colour along the top edge just traces of the grey that is on the plenum chamber so are the bolts holding the wings painted, door hinge bolts the same? what about the  rear hatch hinge the hinge is painted then there is something that goes between the rubber and the hinge and the hinge screws. are these painted apart from the rubber ? Screws holding door locks

Is the paint in the plenum chamber satin grey ?

Interesting questions. I can only comment on my own '74 RS30 which I bought back in '84, it hadn't been subject to a full repaint just touch-ups here and there. The painting procedures used for earlier cars may have been different of course.

IMO the front guards and 'sugar scoops', the front valance panels, the battery and washer bottle inspection panels including their hinges and clips, and the doors and hinges, were pre-primed then painted the 110 red body colour only after being installed to the shell because their bolts were all painted.

Whereas the plenum panel, and the rear hatch, must have been painted separately as their installation screws are unpainted. But the hatch hinges are body colour.

I can't comment on the bonnet or its hinges as the LH leading edge of the bonnet had been damaged and repaired/repainted both sides before I bought the car.

As for the primer, on my RS30 it's more of a cream colour (faintest hint of green) rather than a grey.

PS. The plenum recess area is in primer with some body colour overspray. There's quite a defined line against the body colour of the engine bay, maybe the plenum panel was just sat in place for painting (but not yet screwed down) which might explain it.

Edited by gilltech

The bonnet  hinges were not painted

Ah, I suspected as much. Yet many 'restored' Zeds one sees online have the hinges painted, personal preference I suppose.

I've removed all the red overspray, or what I had suspected was just bonnet-repaint overspray as the coverage was inconsistent, off the hinges and the torsion rods.

There did seem to be some black on the rods beneath the red, so I wonder whether they got that when the factory painted the black on the radiator support. Or perhaps that was a rattle can job by a PO to hide them from front view.

It's my contention that Nissan were pretty economical with paint on these cars, to put it tactfully. So any repaint by an enthusiastic owner will inevitably result in a far better outcome than 'factory' with respect to longevity, corrosion protection, quality of appearance etc etc. I see great examples of that on this forum.

On 6/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, gilltech said:

As for the primer, on my RS30 it's more of a cream colour (faintest hint of green) rather than a grey.

Based on my early 260z there is cream coloured "primer" on the parts of the body that may have had stone chip coating but internally still had the grey primer.

IMG_6363.thumb.JPG.22177e1d60870963616a9f5090dce4f7.JPG

Edited by AndBir
correct photo

Going by my hinges only trace of paint is a bit of overspray the hinges appear to be old cadmium or zinc plated(a dull grey) but over the years they could have been replaced  and never painted?

Ignore all of the above

On closer inspection there are traces of red all over the hinges no primer?

What was the order of painting the cars?

Thanks

Edited by NickF
Should have looked a bit better

Bonnet hinges WERE painted - body colour, after assembly on the car 

Well that would explain the lack of paint coverage in some places and paint runs in others! Awkward things to paint on or off the car, given all the concealed faces whether they are extended or closed.

Recently I removed mine as they had got so daggy they spoiled the look of the engine bay, so I cleaned them back to expose the plated finish and they can stay like that meantime. Maybe I'll paint them, maybe I'll just have them replated as there are areas around the pivots where the plating has worn off and will rust again.

Based on my early 260z there is cream coloured "primer" on the parts of the body that may have had stone chip coating but internally still had the grey primer.

Ditto AFAIK, never having stripped the car totally down to its shell. Cream primer externally, grey primer internally. Different formulas perhaps?