More 240 A/C unicorn questions

aircobra

Question

does anyone know where the dryer goes?

on some pics on the net, the dryer is on a bracket just behind the strut tower and opposite the air cleaner. looks like there are two mounting holes there, but the dryer would be pretty close  to the standard air cleaner

on some others, its low just below the coil and opposite the compressor?

anyone have any legit pics?    

9 answers to this question

Hmm. Maybe better you ask whether anyone on this forum even has factory A/C on their 240. I think I've only ever seen it on JDM Fairladys, although supposedly it was indeed a factory option on RHD 240Zs.

Anyway, with all the extra weight and gear involved I suspect many A/C units got removed, especially once they started to break down.

On 6/3/2021 at 2:58 PM, aircobra said:

does anyone know where the dryer goes?

Are you wanting it to be factory correct or just what works best?

Pics of 260z with factory a/c seems to indicate the dryer was located on the strut tower adjacent to the fuel filter.

I presume this was the case as the outlet from the air con condenser radiator was on the driver's side of the car.

on the basis that i ve never seen a 240 factory setup ever. i dont actually know. the parts diagram only shows the evaporator side  and not the condenser or the drier. the firewall holes on the rhd 260s were on the LEFT side, so the hoses muse have been the left.

ive seen photos of 260s with the factory  drier mounted in front of the radiator, not on the sides of the engine bay

with so many after market jobs on both 240/60 its hard to tell

3 hours ago, aircobra said:

the firewall holes on the rhd 260s were on the LEFT side, so the hoses muse have been the left

Yep, but it appears they then ran one behind the engine and then towards the fuel filter

EngineBayPipeingETC.thumb.jpg.3b349c27081d36ed6cfcd19d6f44a42a.jpg

10.jpg.02d70d4004186fdd76289c8e222504f2.thumb.jpg.3b566b6012429c55c76b50fc693ae8d5.jpg

But then on a drawing of the layout of a 240z system it shows :

post-3797-14150815772052.jpg.7e320780c597794bde1c36acd5081fd5.jpg

right answer for the 260s, i think ( presume both pics are of 260z by looking at the extra brackets) 

so you can see in the 240, the drier is on the LEFT and on a vertical bracket. the only place that is possible is on the tower strut.  but as you know its very close to the air filter, so it must be a very small unit placed very low on the tower. alterntively, it could be forward of the tower and placed low opposite the compressor

cant believe it - a million photos of z on the net and not a single one of this setup

anyway, i will post some pics soon. i've just about finished the evaporator housing    

yes. agree. that's where i'll be putting it. note the FICD gear -more unobtanium. i wouldnt mind fabricating it, only if i could my hand on it. by the way. where the hell are you getting all these photos?