Front and Rear Bumpers

Hi Guys

One of the things I'm starting to look at is my front and back bumpers. The ones on the car have a number of dents and have been taken to with a big hammer at one stage in an attempt to straighten out the result of someone's inability to reverse (and drive forward) without hitting things. It is possible they could be resurrected, but am looking for input as to what others may have done. 

As I see it my options are: 1) Try to source a second hand set of front and rears in good nick, 2) Purchase a new set, 3) See if someone (ideally in WA) is capable of fixing and re-chroming what I have, or 4) Strip them back myself, try to straighten them, strip 'em, fill 'em and paint 'em to match whatever body colour I decide to go with. I don't want to do a bumper delete, so have discounted that. 

Have attached some snaps of the front and centre section of the rear bumpers below. The centre section of the rear bumper took a big hit (see photo below to the right of the left hand over rider) and this has put a sway in the bar which puts everything out of alignment. 

IMG_4899.thumb.jpg.71924884e0ab3245497052bc91de142d.jpg 
IMG_4905.thumb.jpg.2974d6f5eeddacaf80c6c8cd0647269b.jpgIMG_4901.thumb.jpg.bb71cbec8b94aac290c28776ad6b80c8.jpgIMG_4902.thumb.jpg.6e120149b4d6300fb404e8d66f713900.jpgIMG_4903.thumb.jpg.d186081dfa13d62372f16aeea25c2fcb.jpgIMG_4904.thumb.jpg.b57f3ef2ced72c397d0d9d606abb9fd9.jpg

Have tried a couple of things - had to try the alfoil thing after seeing it on YouTube - fail. A gentle buff with a buffing wheel on the grinder - some improvement, but not enough and of course the dents are still there. And finally used a bit of metal polish which gave a slightly shinier finish than the buffing wheel. Either way, none of these approaches will get the dents out and straighten the bars up so the finished items are not going to work for me. 

Potentially, a company with rollers, dies, stripping and re-chroming may be able to bring them back to new, but haven't looked into that yet. 

It seems the second hand ones which are available at the moment are in a similar condition to the ones I have. 

Which leads us to the purchase of a new set. Have had discussions with BumperAutomobile in Vietnam/China and have determined they do have the correct sized front and rear (longer) to suit my 260z 2+2 and that the fittings are the correct ones for my car. They advise they are 304 stainless steel and therefore rust shouldn't be an issue. So I've got all the measurements and I'm comfortable they will fit ok, just not happy with the USD580 + USD220 cost for supply and shipping. In Oz dollars (excluding any taxes and duty and a reduction in exchange rate by PayPal) at best that is about $1040. 

Gotta be another option. 

So, questions:

1. Any suggestions, comments or options about best way to go. Any experience with the new bumpers outlined above.

2. Any recommendations of reputable companies who can restore these and any idea of costs. Will send east if I necessary. 

3. Anyone done a bumper delete and have a set of front and rear bumpers off a 2+2, in good nick, they want to off load?

Hopefully, someone else's past experience will point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Paul

38 minutes ago, RestoZ said:

have a set of front and rear bumpers off a 2+2, in good nick, they want to off load?

In country Victoria from a 2+2 that was included when I purchased my 2 seater and I am now parting out.

Front has surface rust staining from the bonnet but is otherwise in good shape

image.png.29fdee2f329f9b5733ade83887807559.png

image.png.ee95f10c2857da20a0d7ebca49d6d5fd.png

PM me if you are interested and we can discuss price/shipping.

12 hours ago, RestoZ said:

So, questions:

1. Any suggestions, comments or options about best way to go. Any experience with the new bumpers outlined above.

2. Any recommendations of reputable companies who can restore these and any idea of costs. Will send east if I necessary. 

3. Anyone done a bumper delete and have a set of front and rear bumpers off a 2+2, in good nick, they want to off load?

Hopefully, someone else's past experience will point me in the right direction.

Repairing and Rechroming will be more expensive than $1040 for both bumpers. Particularly if you send it over east as you will wear the shipping costs.

I can’t recall if you can get the Vietnam ones with over riders, I didn’t want over riders so I wasn’t looking when I was researching. Do you want over riders? 

Andys ones look in good nick but if you can’t get the rust stains out they will need to be rechromed as well, so have to factor in the price. Depending on your budget and Andy’s price you could get him to ship them direct to vinnys over east then get them shipped back once their done. Save a bit of money. 

I would get quotes from vinnys and a rechrome place in perth. And quotes for a package to be shipped perth to vinnys. Easier to make a decision once you have all the info.  

I bought a set from bumper automobile recently and was very happy with the quality. Haven’t fitted mine yet, but from all accounts on the forums and Martin here in perth, they fit well. 

Ryan 

• Administrators

The answers you seek are in here:

My hot tip:

1. Keep your money in Australia. Support local business.

2. The finish from Vinnies I could not fault. They fixed the dents etc.. and can't even tell they were there.

3. You know OEM stuff will fit as it is supposed to.

I actually didn't fit mine after re-chromed it because it was too good for my 72. Instead I took the old bumper off #150 and put that on my 72 and have kept the re-chrome bumper for #150 whenever I get that finished! LOL.

Thanks for the link Gav. I did a search for "bumpers" and went through all the posts back to 2017 and then stopped presuming things would have changed beyond that and would no longer be current. Wrong!!

Anyway, good info in there which will assist in the decision making process.

22 hours ago, AndBir said:

In country Victoria from a 2+2 that was included when I purchased my 2 seater and I am now parting out.

Front has surface rust staining from the bonnet but is otherwise in good shape

image.png.29fdee2f329f9b5733ade83887807559.png

image.png.ee95f10c2857da20a0d7ebca49d6d5fd.png

PM me if you are interested and we can discuss price/shipping.

PM'd