Jump to content

Predict the Next Modern Classic


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

JC Cosmo 20b.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/mazda/eunos/listing/2985749296

$60k NZD. They are getting incredibly difficult to find, even more so the 20b version (there was also a 13b version with desirable intake manifold and bigger ports for low down torque - compared with FD 13brew engine).

But the 20b's all got parted out for FD and other rotary swaps.

Lots of hard to find parts for these cars also, which means a good 1 like the 1 in NZ is worth its weight in gold. The only 3 rotor production car in the world. It also was 1 of the first (if not the first) to have a sat/nav system in it.

Really a halo car when Japan was going crazy with high levels of refinement during the bubble years. Competing with the likes of the Lexus LS400 etc..

I have a gut feeling these kinds of cars will be highly coveted in a few years as Gen X/Y matures (a.k.a get old and boring) and looks beyond the boy racer stuff.

Just a hunch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, hmd said:

google photo just reminded me I bought this car 12 years ago.

The best 6 cylinder normally aspirated engine, pulled like a train.

yRh_AmB8vgAOnkgz82U6pbuy_gezqwFNy11B-vvLdBW7EwuScx2uBkmVK6FJfQR1vzgPrDzP5wv4WcGx9LRUJUrHwqbMI4EIUf--s6EppLHs4kdFUkOYtYMtfjJ6F4x4V52F2ql69mnW9XiL435mBQre0qU6PBqv5GzTR5gZZKaINYV1fdWTlQ-j3pUvELB1ZZBUcun7fJnMnd2nq7L5yNssqPV-4Ss_ItiR4mNQ1E5bTk-OWC2OCfZUnBGrJnc-339T3u8AcW4DSkoMQMh20HBcTsCXCRaydmkcQcRpGU1sZTXsoaTAW9d22fN88DnFhQBtqZ3UBqhuQuFvq9HcAWuxp0_QxFGsCITIRI1_H_K78ZMxkV6-pl8-r_FSUTRZ_xYiXrrdu6CKPPGS1FpSqTbp2mq6Ak24dYTFWoavF4ElofAxUIORAUt4ZJox9f0dkhvZz908JI-nYikRSjGsLD2stFPYH4FMobnpQDM-lG5XbSTvvPalrcaPPnj1qjHfEr2Ex4uNEvfpQstvkVAnSkueqsCE0O-GPyCXA58fv8loIW2IOeKbtDWKltnUnCwExLVEIMdPVRylUSkEEiDcrBBlIoolZIYvZKW7ElubBo3RAiaZZKXJRKGGHfeOzDeG73QNY-BmY_xWgD8uwWA0N9bvB2gp4hxKd00YLUE5waFvkdf_l97YOsR2wP7N8mgFdiVeuvJHImN8HtvzH96bNxTw=w1163-h772-no?authuser=0

Can't see the image....what was it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, C.A.F. said:

E46 M3 with a manual conversion.

Any pre E92 M car......E30 are unobtainium, even the much derided E36 are going through the roof and as you say manual conversion E46

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, gav240z said:

JC Cosmo 20b.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/mazda/eunos/listing/2985749296

$60k NZD. They are getting incredibly difficult to find, even more so the 20b version (there was also a 13b version with desirable intake manifold and bigger ports for low down torque - compared with FD 13brew engine).

But the 20b's all got parted out for FD and other rotary swaps.

Lots of hard to find parts for these cars also, which means a good 1 like the 1 in NZ is worth its weight in gold. The only 3 rotor production car in the world. It also was 1 of the first (if not the first) to have a sat/nav system in it.

Really a halo car when Japan was going crazy with high levels of refinement during the bubble years. Competing with the likes of the Lexus LS400 etc..

I have a gut feeling these kinds of cars will be highly coveted in a few years as Gen X/Y matures (a.k.a get old and boring) and looks beyond the boy racer stuff.

Just a hunch.

 

That’s definitely an out of the box one, never seen or heard of the 90s cosmo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
1 hour ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

That’s definitely an out of the box one, never seen or heard of the 90s cosmo. 

Were you born after the year 2000?

In fairness they have always been a rare car, I remember seeing a couple over the years, but haven't seen 1 in the flesh since I left Ireland in 2013.

20b is a beautiful motor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Were you born after the year 2000?

In fairness they have always been a rare car, I remember seeing a couple over the years, but haven't seen 1 in the flesh since I left Ireland in 2013.

20b is a beautiful motor.

No well before 2000 lol I know the original cosmo but didn’t realize they had successive models. 

maybe perth never got many? Don’t forget there’s only 100 people over here... ;D

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Were you born after the year 2000?

In fairness they have always been a rare car, I remember seeing a couple over the years, but haven't seen 1 in the flesh since I left Ireland in 2013.

20b is a beautiful motor.

Haha, agree to disagree Gav.

Rotaries have no longevity and cheat with their quoted capacity. They drink fuel because they are really a much bigger capacity motor than advertised.

Wouldn't stop me having an FD though (with an LS in it!) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, krizza said:

Rotaries have no longevity and cheat with their quoted capacity. They drink fuel because they are really a much bigger capacity motor than advertised.

they make no logical sense to own. Doesn’t mean they’re not cool though. I think if you have a passion for them and the salary to keep them running, it’s your duty to have one and keep it alive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

they make no logical sense to own. Doesn’t mean they’re not cool though. I think if you have a passion for them and the salary to keep them running, it’s your duty to have one and keep it alive. 

I can understand the passion because rx7's of any vintage are such great looking cars. I could just never bring myself to own a rotary (although I came close in my 20s with a powder blue Grp C kitted S1, but ended up with my first Z instead :-) )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 12:54 AM, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

pros: critically acclaimed on release, German built, incredible handling for a fwd, virtually no understeer (in the dry), cocks its leg round corners, torquey rev happy 1.6 Turbo engine, reliable, excellent recaro’s

cons: its a fiesta, not the best looking hot hatch, FWD, interior is cheap and nasty

The laughs per dollar on these is off the charts. You get good performance thrills for a small budget. Often rated as more fun than the Focus ST. 

Prior to owning a small-ish FWD car I would have agreed that front wheel drive was a con, but having owned one for several years now, I really enjoy the power-on through corners style of driving. Need to tighten the line? Add a dash more throttle.

Yeah, sure, the RWD Datsun is a different kind of power-on fun, but FWD is nothing to fear. 

Thumbs-up for all the 'pros' listed above :-)

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, datsunrally said:

Prior to owning a small-ish FWD car

What have you got Jeff? 

I think any of the modern FWDs that have clever electronics or LSD are great 90% of the time. Once it’s wet though, they’re no fun. The WZ fiesta ST doesn’t have LSD but has fords torque vectoring which brakes the inside front wheel to make the car rotate, it’s amazing. But chews rotors and pads quicker. 

There is a bit of snobbery towards FWD from the purists, but having owned both formats, for fun factor, RWD is always going to come out on top IMO

ryan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

What have you got Jeff?…

G'day Ryan,

The FWD car is an old TS Astra SRi, a relatively unremarkable car however the 2.2 engine us torquey and likes a bit of a rev, it's stock apart from Koni adjustable. It's never going to be a modern classic, but it's responsible for my new-found appreciated of FWD.

My RWD power-on fun car is an ex-works Datsun 160J (Stanza). Oops, did I let-on that I don't have a Zed… :-[

Jeff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 4/15/2021 at 8:16 PM, krizza said:

I can understand the passion because rx7's of any vintage are such great looking cars. I could just never bring myself to own a rotary (although I came close in my 20s with a powder blue Grp C kitted S1, but ended up with my first Z instead :-) )

Rotary is a fantastic motor. Incredibly smooth and willing to rev, sound awesome too (with the right exhaust), honestly the FD is 1 of the best handling cars I've ever driven.

To me it's the 90s version of a 240z.

The more people swap V8s into them, the more mine will increase in value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...