Bought the 1973 240Z in Port Moresby in 1982, the previous owner having to leave the country unexpectedly.   The car was in good nick, but signs of rust in the lower doors and front mudguards.   I had this repaired and undertook to respray the car (in the original silver colour) and generally restore it to pristine condition.   The car had mirrors mounted on the mudguards and I decided to remove them as pedestrians loved to knock them about and put shallow dents in the car body.   I removed all badges (I still have them) and filled the badge mounting holes as I saw these as potential future rust spots. I returned to Australia in 1993 and brought the car with me.   In Cairns I had the car resprayed (by a professional), modified the seat belts (the originals were non retractable) and had the car certified by the QLD dept of Transport.   The car was (is) fitted with a blue plate that bears my name.   I drove the car until I moved to Adelaide, and during transportation it was damaged, front and rear bumpers, bonnet, guards and one door.   I had the repairs done, the car resprayed, new windscreen and new rubbers (including door and boot seals) all round.    During this restoration I have misplaced the bonnet latch (the part on the bonnet itself) and as I'm getting old (73 yrs old) am finding it difficult to finish my project.   Both front and rear bumpers need repair, the under body engine/gearbox shield needs replacing and probably a lot more needs doing to pass roadworthy in South Australia.   The suspension has been lowered all round and there are no external rear view mirrors.   By the way, it's a 5 speed manual with about 43,000 miles genuine on the clock and has been garaged under cover since I've owned it.

In Port Moresby I also had a 240Z auto, and being maroon and silver in colour, used the same rego for both cars (naught naughty but only if you get caught).   I salvaged a few bits of other Z cars up there and have items such as console, door with stainless steel window frame, drive train half shafts, etc.   The Z auto ended its life at the Port Moresby.  

I wouldn't mind hearing from others regarding their experience in getting a vehicle back on the road after nearly 20 years in storage.

20210228_135650.jpg

20210318_151717.jpg

20210228_135720.jpg

20210318_152232.jpg

6 hours ago, Ian Macklin said:

their experience in getting a vehicle back on the road after nearly 20 years in storage

Welcome to the forum.

My 260z had only been off the road for 10 years but, as you have found with the visible rubber bits (seals etc.), anything rubber tends to deteriorate with age so I expect all of the underbody rubber parts will need attention (steering rack mounts, sway bar rubber, ball joints, lower control arm bushes, engine mounts, gearbox mount and diff mount. That being said, given yours has done so few kms and has been garaged, the rubber may not be that bad?

6 hours ago, Ian Macklin said:

pass roadworthy in South Australia

One way to find out what is needed is to take it for a roadworthy - you will get a nice itemised list :-)

• Administrators

I would love to learn more about how many Z's were in Papua New Guinea and if you know of anyone still over there who would be involved with them? I've never really heard from folks in PNG with regards to owning Z's etc.. we know a few cars made their way to Australia but usually we've found this out via things like Glovebox markings.

Have a read of this thread and perhaps post a photo fo your glovebox for interest sake?

11 hours ago, gav240z said:

I would love to learn more about how many Z's were in Papua New Guinea

Me too, as it may shed some light on how a couple of CSP311's ended up there from new in 1965/6. PNG doesn't spring to mind as a hotbed of exotic imports.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, mcasco89 said:

That looks absolutely stunning. 

Can you prove you're not a scammer posting here? I've approved your message but I am always suspect of new members who may be sending PMs.. We've had issues in the past?

For context refer: