HS30 Registry In Graphic Form.

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Everyone,

For some time I've wanted to find a way to share the data I've collected as part of threads like, early girl bingo.

Or the donating member only section in the albums for a visual look at cars etc..

https://www.viczcar.com/gallery/category/10-hs30-registry/

I've been keeping a spreadsheet with details on each car I find to try and form some kind of view of what was delivered, what the combinations were, and what's left etc..

Well using Google's Data Studio I've been able to bring this data to life somewhat and share it with you. The challenge has been giving you the sausage, without showing you how it's made. Since the data has taken me a couple of years to compile, I haven't wanted others to be able to just data dump/copy on a whim. Since multiple competing copies of this data would lead to multiple sources of truth.

So here is the report.

This is my first real attempt to use Data Studio and I'm sure I could find more interesting insights here with more time spent on the data.

https://datastudio.google.com/s/n5FTQpw0KAA

Some notes:

1. This data could be inaccurate, in fact I find errors all the time (of my own making) and try to fix them as I come across them.
  2. Just because the data indicates that Safari Gold and Black were the most common combo, doesn't mean that's true. What is happening is that for certain exterior colours, I know there was only 1 interior colour available. Black. So I am able to fill that in.. where as for Kilimanjaro White there was black, blue and red. So unless I can confirm the original colour, it gets left blank.
  3. If I don't have the data it's represented as "null" or blank. In most cases I don't have all data points for every car.
  4. This data is for HS30s. but the reality is I've spent most time looking at the AU market for these cars. So records of UK, Japan, Hong Kong, South Africa, PNG, NZ etc.. are extremely limited.
  5. There is only about 500 records so far. If you believe some loose numbers thrown around in various books in the past something like 2,500 odd 240z's were delivered to Australia originally. I do not know if this is true, but let's assume it is, that means so far I've recorded 1/5 of all cars (or close to that). Which means survival rates are actually low-ish. How many went to the wrecking yard? We may never know, but I'm encouraged by the fact that more show up every year that were previously unknown.
  6. Compliance data is patchy at best, but most often what I've found is that cars came in and were complied in batches. So there is clusters of them around certain year/month etc..
  7. 1 thing I'd like to do more of is enter the VIN suffix details (UA is Australia) but -H is 240ZG and UK had it's own suffix etc.. this data is harder to put together but be aware there are some 240ZG, Fairlady 240z and export market 240z's in here, it's not all AU market cars.

I am interested in feedback about this data. What do you want to see? What have you learnt? What do you think in general?

Also I would like to make clear, that I'm open to correction on any data presented. I don't want people to assume this is the hard and only source of truth. Rather it's an attempt at collecting data on these cars since there is so little official information available.

Oh and 1 final thing is that you can all help with this data. Generally it's super helpful when I can see the ID plates here:

And before anyone asks, no I don't have 260z data and no I don't intend to include it in future. Collecting data on 240z's is enough work! But if you're keen, you can get started and do this yourself. I won't stop you! :D

Nice work Gav, love the commitment and passion. Tbh I had no idea there were so few remaining survivors. I thought there would be at least 1500 to 2000,  but I guess the value of the 240z was not seen until recent years, so there would have been so many scrapped before their time. 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Do you have data by state Gav? Interested to know how many are left over in the west

No I don't, I have thought about ways to do it. But it's a moving target. My data is attempting to collect information on these cars in their original form.

I could create an owner database and link the owners table back to specific cars but it would require constant updates as cars get bought and sold.

What might be helpful is to look at activity on the site per state. The East Coast is where most visitors hail from. The West and South Australia is a lot lower in terms of activity.

• Administrators

Also 1 thing to point out is that as I update the underlying tables the report should update.

Unlike previous graphs I made in Excel/sheets that were static. I would be able to extend and build on these reports over time.

• Administrators

I know, that's why the ID plate data is so helpful.

Knowing original colour is also very helpful, in some cases I can conclude interior colour. In other cases I can't assume.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

Nice work Gav, love the commitment and passion. Tbh I had no idea there were so few remaining survivors. I thought there would be at least 1500 to 2000,  but I guess the value of the 240z was not seen until recent years, so there would have been so many scrapped before their time. 

It's hard to know how many are actually left, remember this data is what I've managed to collect over the last few years. Some cars may be hidden away in sheds still.

9 minutes ago, gav240z said:

It's hard to know how many are actually left, remember this data is what I've managed to collect over the last few years. Some cars may be hidden away in sheds still.

Yes for sure there will be many cars hidden away. But I don't think anyone else has any data that would come close to yours. So I would say your numbers would be as close as we can get!

I see what you mean with tracking states, too hard, goal posts keep moving 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

I see what you mean with tracking states, too hard, goal posts keep moving 

I've thought about asking new members to enter the cars they own in a registration form (by VIN #), but that may put some off joining (even if the data is not public) and unfortunately not all S30Z owners are members here.

For now I'm just trying to capture as much about the cars as they were from factory. The other stuff can come later, if I ever find the time.

When I upload images to the HS30 gallery I try to tag in members by name of current or previous owners. So that in some ways ties cars to a location. But of course these cars are now moving interstate and in some cases outside of the country (sadly).