905 RED-MONTE CARLO OR FLAMINGO

EJ101

i didn't get any responses in the Bodywork section, thought i'd try here

in OZ was 905 Red called Flamingo or MonteCarlo as it is in the U.S?

a mate of mine had a series 1 many years ago and he's insistent it was Flamingo and he sent me this

image.jpg

• Administrators

The colour code was definitely 905, as to weather it was called Flamingo red or Monte Carlo Red may be the semantics of the paint provider? Unique cars was a good website, but who knows where that charge / data comes from?

Are you looking to settle an argument or get the right paint code for an actual car?

My personal take is that if I was to be painting a 240z in this colour, I'd be using companies that called it Monte Carlo Red :). After all Flamingo's are pink.

23 hours ago, EJ101 said:

a mate of mine had a series 1 many years ago and he's insistent it was Flamingo and he sent me this

I can't help but draw some irony in this, given that "series 1" was never a term used by the factory to describe early S30Z's. Did he also insist it was a 69 model? Like so many 240z owners, despite the fact that most HS30's were produced in 70. (NB: I said most - because based on the work that Kats and Alan @HS30-Hdid many years ago, HS30s were produced alongside S30, PS30 and HLS30s in 69, but certainly it's unlikely those cars (HS30s) were actually sold here, rather they were factory pre-production that was destroyed by Nissan.

To settle the *local* argument, you'd want to see 'Flamingo' mentioned in an official period Australian market brochure.

Nissan Japan occasionally changed colour names for local markets, but I've never seen the word 'Flamingo' used in official Nissan documentation in connection with the S30-series Z. It is far more likely to have been used by a local paint manufacturer/supplier, and this seems to have happened more often when they thought the colour corresponded closely with something they already supplied.

Refer to a post on Sept 6 2016 by PeterH contributing to the "Factory Colours and Years of Production" thread:

He tabled part of an old 1974 Dulux Australia catalogue that someone had given him - Datsun colours/codes included 'Flamingo Red' 13339 '905', listed for 1971 imported cars. Rather than a link I've simply attached it below for expediency.

Dulux colour codes for Datsuns in Australia.jpg

Edited by gilltech

Interesting post @gilltech the Dulux Australia catalogue  have quite a few names different to what they use in the states, below is a image from USA Datsun Touchup paint code file. 

eg. Kilimanjaro White 904, is listed as Moonstone 904,

New Sight Orange 918 is listed Kalahari Tan 918G (i have heard it called Kalahari Tan here), 

Racing Green 907 is Linden Green 907

Safari Gold 920 aka Gold poly is Klordike Gold 920

Universal Blue 903 is Azurite (M) 903

It would be interesting if any owners of Series 1 or 71 Z's have there original order or delivery documents that might shed more light. 

colour.JPG

• Administrators
13 hours ago, HS30-H said:

To settle the *local* argument, you'd want to see 'Flamingo' mentioned in an official period Australian market brochure.

Nissan Japan occasionally changed colour names for local markets, but I've never seen the word 'Flamingo' used in official Nissan documentation in connection with the S30-series Z. It is far more likely to have been used by a local paint manufacturer/supplier, and this seems to have happened more often when they thought the colour corresponded closely with something they already supplied.

I think this is what's going on, Dulux locally seems to be using their own naming conventions when describing the colours in their brochure, rather than the official names that Nissan would have applied.

The original delivery card on my 71 240z (HS30 01415) just says 904 (no colour name supplied).

I can't imagine why Dulux would substitute names for imported vehicles - which are already painted - when Nissan-Datsun's own names would surely suffice and circumvent possible confusion when it comes time for paint repairs or replacement, but so it seems. ??? 

And as already mentioned, whoever came up with 'Flamingo' for a red colour is rather off course. ;D