Quick question on dome light console and rubber behind rear seats

aircobra

dont know what they're called

1. what part #, size are the plastic rivets that hold the plastic panel around the dome light? left photo

2. looks like there's a special rubber that cover the metal joint behind the seats that goes across the car. has a kinda l shape to it at the top. is there something from clark rubber that will fit?

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

I don't know what year your car is, but FWIW my '74 just uses the same size plastic rivets throughout the interior.

And on mine that metal lip is covered with a hard plastic trim section (not rubber), that slots down over to secure the diamond pattern vinyl bulkhead covering, and is fixed in place with a number of small screws.

I used pinchweld from Bunnings across the rear bulkhead. And (I think) 5mm plastic rivets from one of the online auto supply companies. You could get 50 rivets for the same price as getting 10 at repco. 

Jeff

D58570CA-61D9-48E0-9904-B89DC4188B80.jpeg

you mean this for the strip?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/goliath-5m-black-edge-trim_p4230125

looked for 'nissan clip' in vic on gumtree, nothing obvious

is this the aftermarket one?

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/champion-champion-xmas-tree-clips---pp63-panel-pack/6462.html

PS. is that the original luggage strap bracket? my one is flat

looked for 'nissan clip' in vic on gumtree, nothing obvious

Go to Gumtree - look under '240Z' - go to page 2, well down getting towards the bottom, "Datsun 240Z 260Z interior buttons pack of 30", for $75, looks like by zfactory.com.au going by the address.

Do you not have any of those? How is the rest of your interior trim held in place?

yes, same ones. i think i just used the generic xmas tree plugs everywhere else

they're definitely 240 only item, never seen them anywhere else ( not in 5mm size)

are they disposable? suppose once  you push thru the rod and lose it, goodbye to the whole clip

27 minutes ago, aircobra said:

are they disposable?

Nope, generally you can find the rod and then it can be reinserted no problems. Any original ones will likely be brittle but the ones from the zfactory are pretty much exact replicas and work very well. I have used them and had no issues.

Edited by AndBir

Nope, generally you can find the rod and then it can be reinserted no problems. 

Exactly. The rod gets pushed through and drops in behind but can usually be found again and then the rivet can be re-used if it's not damaged. Have a few spare rivets in the toolbox anyway, or just make a substitute rod out of whatever piece of metal or plastic you have to hand.

On my '74 the rivets are used to secure all the plastic internal trim panels, and also for securing the top edge of the taillight trim panel to the body shell.

Edited by gilltech

17 hours ago, gilltech said:

make a substitute rod out of whatever piece of metal or plastic you have to hand

Thankfully you do not have to remove panels too often that are secured by these rivets, but I thought using a suitably sized small screw to replace (just) the rod part may be an option if you are not concerned about the aesthetic appearance.

Yes I suppose one could use a long skinny small-head screw, and even paint the head black.

But those Nissan factory rivets as designed work quite well IMO. To detach the rivet I just push the plastic rod through with a fine Phillips screwdriver, it drops down behind and can be retrieved and re-used. I bought a packet of the rivets some decades ago so I always have spares at hand.

Whereas the generic Xmas-tree rivet design as I've had on other cars can be a bitch to extract towards oneself without damaging the very panel its securing.

But whatever suits you.