is this the correct 240z jack?

aircobra

Question

13 answers to this question

Looks about right, although I have seen slight variations in them. Surely easy enough to check if the length is right - does it fit into one of the in-floor storage boxes?

FWIW, in my 74 260 2-seat, the jack is packed away not completely folded down and its base slots in between the inverted pair of yellow wheel chocks, and then the tool kit lays on top, so occupying one of the storage boxes.

Edited by gilltech

Ah there we go, no the jack doesn't look fully retracted in the drawings.

But FWIW, I store mine mostly retracted as it then fits right down deep in the bin with the base plate fitting between the chocks (the chocks sitting the opposite way to the drawing and wide apart), and that then leaves room on top for the factory tool bag kit and even some other stuff. It measures approx 40cm long when fully retracted, I just went and measured it.

I don't know if yours at about 47cm would even fit in my car's storage bins. It may be from a bigger car, after all every Datsun would have had one.

Thought: are the 2+2 jacks the same size? They mount down on the floor of course.

Edited by gilltech
redundant

FYI - the three letter / numbers stamped on the jack indicates the date of production. 

Check out the thread - https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/59648-let’s-find-built-date-of-jack-and-tire-stopper/?tab=comments#comment-543912

FYI - the three letter / numbers stamped on the jack indicates the date of production. 

Check out the thread - https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/59648-let’s-find-built-date-of-jack-and-tire-stopper/?tab=comments#comment-543912

Most interesting! I never thought to look for codes on those. The jack and the chocks in mine, if I'm doing it right, decode with '73 dates which fits as my very early 260Z would have been built late '73.

Over to you.

Well if you have the toolboxes and your jack won't fit in one then I guess so. Or do you not have the toolboxes? In which case if the jack is floor mounted then surely no problem.

However, last weekend I had occasion to dig through my boxes of spare parts and found another, much more scruffy jack (it's a bit rusty) I'd forgotten about, but it does at least have a neat clip-on black plastic cover. IIRC it came with a pile of parts I once bought off a guy who was parting out a rusty Fairlady 2+2. It also measures 40cm long.

FWIW, I remember a wrecking yard in NZ, at that time owned by friends, which in the past had, I was told, processed quite a number of Datsuns. I recall a bin there filled with jacks with similar stickers on them but the sizes varied, I guess a jack for a 120Y didn't need to be as big as one for a 180B or 260C or whatever.

Anyone else care to chip in with info?

Edited by gilltech

My spare jack is not in great condition, best you find a really good one.

As I said, IIRC it and its clip-on cover came with a pile of bits from a rusty Fairlady 2+2 import to NZ. The owner had parted it out, over a decade and a half ago by now, apparently to use as a dirt track car. Must have been well beyond economic repair for roadworthy purposes. :'(  

There's no Nissan logo or part # on the black plastic cover. But if you look on ebay.com you'll see an image of one, fitted on the jack, mint condition, from a 280Z according to the ad. Did Australian cars not have the jack cover?

Edited by gilltech