Different trim sets offered from factory

Millerman

Hi guys was thinking of trying to make a collective of all interior trims available for the 240z, 260z and the 2+2 

my 2+2 has cloth seat design that i havent come across yet so got me thinking what else is out there apart from the usual black vinyl trim seat

interested to see what people can bring to the table 

Dan

.... these are my seats currently

D9DFA8A9-F69E-4DAF-859E-A147890EF12F.jpeg

There was a discussion on this subject on this forum some years back.

My early 260 has the same vinyl seats as the late 240Zs. But later 260Zs often had cloth inserts, several different types of material being used and may have varied as to what trim level the local sales market deserved. In any case I have a collection of old sales brochures which show different types/patterns.

Your seats look like recovers to me as the shaping isn't quite right IMO. They've been apart at some stage as if that's the driver's seat with the damage then the seat adjuster has been switched with the passenger seat, as the adjuster is AFAIK always beside the tunnel and out of the way.

14 hours ago, gilltech said:

There was a discussion on this subject on this forum some years back.

My early 260 has the same vinyl seats as the late 240Zs. But later 260Zs often had cloth inserts, several different types of material being used and may have varied as to what trim level the local sales market deserved. In any case I have a collection of old sales brochures which show different types/patterns.

Your seats look like recovers to me as the shaping isn't quite right IMO. They've been apart at some stage as if that's the driver's seat with the damage then the seat adjuster has been switched with the passenger seat, as the adjuster is AFAIK always beside the tunnel and out of the way.

Thanks for the reply 

the car has only done 66,000 kms and was off the road for 18 years so i find it hard to believe they have been retrimmed but you never know what someone was doing back then! 

Hard to tell from the one photo without a close-up. The factory vinyl seat covers had a reputation for splitting so re-trims were the norm back then.

Whereas, FWIW I had my seats re-trimmed locally by the time the car was about 14yrs old and the replacements have well outlasted the originals.

How do you know the car has only done 66,000km, do you have early records of the car? As most I think would have done 166,000 in their first 20+ yrs! The odometer only has 5 digits.

• Administrators

As I mentioned over PM. I've observed some later model S30Z's had cloth trim. But your trim looks after market and later retrim to me.

Keep in mind vinyl is sweltering hot in Aussie sun and wasn't the most pleasant material to sit on with 35+ degree summer days. So people had the cloth inserts done to make it nicer to sit in.

I had a quick look for Japanese market cars because I've often seen cloth interiors on them. All I could find was this 2+2.

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/FAIRLADY_Z/700080285730171018001/index.html

0802857A30171018W00130.jpg

0802857A30171018W00131.jpg

0802857A30171018W00132.jpg

0802857A30171018W00106.jpg

I don't think the drivers seat is original, could be wrong but the rest may be original or a subtle re-trim.

Brian Long's book may have reference photos.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Datsun-Fairlady-Roadster-280ZX-Hardbound/dp/1904788076

I have a copy somewhere but since I moved house I still haven't unpacked my books due to not having purchased a book shelf yet! You can blame covid for that.

I did find this also.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283945348882

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I feel I've seen this trim type in more than 1 S30Z before, so I feel it's quite possible it's original. But my knowledge of late model S30Z's, especially S31s in Japan is quite limited compared with say earlier cars.

@HS30-H what's your knowledge on later model interior trim options and styles?

1 hour ago, gilltech said:

How do you know the car has only done 66,000km, do you have early records of the car? As most I think would have done 166,000 in their first 20+ yrs! The odometer only has 5 digits.

Car has full service history and has been around the same area all its life. I knew the person i bought it from and they knew the person they bought it from etc etc 

All documents i have seem to add up to genuine 66,000kms 

-

thanks again gav you truely are a wealth of information still curious as to see what other weird and wonderful trim sets there are

Car has full service history and has been around the same area all its life. I knew the person i bought it from and they knew the person they bought it from etc etc 

All documents i have seem to add up to genuine 66,000kms 

Excellent! Not that common and something to be treasured IMO.

Gav's photos are a good start and that upholstery looks very familiar. I'll have to dig out my collection of Zed sales brochures. But as I said, the early vinyl seats were prone to splitting along the seams so repairs or re-trims were soon needed.

Edited by gilltech