HS30-00211

C.A.R.

And sellers on Carsales want you to pay ~$100k when you have no idea as to what is happening under the shell of the car - crazy!

And when are you going to buy said Z?

Plenty of cars of lesser value to probably keep CAF busy for many years to come.....

Edited by gilltech

Ha! Hopefully Lurch doesn't have to replace more than 49%..... Whatever happens it will be part Japanese steel and part BHP steel. Australian content if you will.

Take the situation of an historic rally car which has been re-bodied along the way, but someone has obtained and repaired the original shell... Just who owns the car and its provenance?

6 minutes ago, gilltech said:

Take the situation of an historic rally car which has been re-bodied along the way, but someone has obtained and repaired the original shell... Just who owns the car and its provenance?

I spend a bit of time in historic motor racing circles - what you've alluded to is a massive problem, as through the mists of time two people can own two cars that have the same chassis number...

As for #211, Tony asked this exact question of me and my reply was:
"We are not changing the identity of the car. We are saving it."

12 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

"We are not changing the identity of the car. We are saving it."

We are glad another one is restored to its former glory. Ignore my attempt at humour. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a while between updates...
A couple of distractions got in the way, but we have still been making progress with #211.

While the LH guard was being worked on, I set about finishing off the firewall because in typical Z fashion where the plenum bottom lip joins the firewall, the firewall had rusted though in various spots:

BAIM4zPuBOtPSj3GP8mpAjIwF8TbkuxOHJfAy8Jk

So my only choice was to unpick the bonnet catch mount and cut a long strip out of the firewall above and below the plenum flange:

DR5ERFLEyEZjduLZlDuJ1E1q2jmjgS37XgI3tT5M

The rusty flange was de-rusted, then I made a new patch and welded it in.
It was followed up by linishing the welds smooth and tapping it about to make it straight again.

EEXS65gwpTsjVy3paEvusLXx11Ba84z5bTTFcTx2

3kmbuL9twLdFbFfkMrxieHt-RLGunxtnYhMFTXO7

JAINm3nXKXNT9da8n7yA0QFQvtlDrjIq4oFDEGtP

Next was the big job... The chassis rail.
The  engine cross-member support gusset had a rust hole, so I unpicked it to reveal the state to the skirt behind it:

jEc5s9uXNJfXpZV8C2OdnNK5-SrGShCvVZxasQKC

sbHVCGvuKZKH9F0igTT5GrvNwPt7MRtVAW-bc3ji

uUs7bZZwm1vmnM3OM7nt6kh69aJ7ow2AjXyYH17H

spacer.png

Nothing else for it but to remove the chassis rail now:

knhj0HnzzVC3fjKMF4ti0yxMnlr_hIPVgicye8qa

pR6I53TwSf-Mxtd_j78jQxQyQ-IVFi4tFPxFiWIO

This photo really shots how rusty early Z rails get...

B1xQLzxNfF-Olxpu_GogmRyXrx4dj0f-LaSa6YA_

If your 240Z engine bay frame rails haven't been replaced, how rust free are they...?

2 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

If your 240Z engine bay frame rails haven't been replaced, how rust free are they...?

Yep, goes back to my comment in another thread about paying six figure sums for 70's cars that are bound to be rusting from the inside out (unless it has been unpicked and restored as in this topic).

• Administrators
On 9/15/2021 at 10:43 AM, AndBir said:

Yep, goes back to my comment in another thread about paying six figure sums for 70's cars that are bound to be rusting from the inside out (unless it has been unpicked and restored as in this topic).

What's worse is that all the Yolo hipster types that want to slot in big power engines into these cars when they have no idea if the integrity of the car structure is any good. I mean chances are most cars running around are not as strong as they were when sold in 1970 now due to issues like this.. yet they all want 500hp+... recipe for trouble if you ask me.

But I've just outed myself as an old fart. Shouting at young whipper snippers with my walking cane. :)