HS30-00211

C.A.R.

Starts getting a bit scary when you cut away this much...

Not from here. I'm finding it quite interesting, almost exciting.

Ditto. Having restored a Mustang ragtop with a myriad of rust issues under the paint (more cosmetic than structural, thankfully) and knowing the long time it took me, I'll not rush to tackle another. So AFAIAC maximum credit to those intent on saving this car.

Just goes to show what increasing Zed values are doing, making very rusty cars like this one more financially viable to rebuild. Which saves more of them. Whereas a decade or so ago it would surely have been a source of parts and the remainder eventually scrapped.

• 2 weeks later...

LH inner and outer sill assembly is now done. I can't do anything about the doglegs (rockers) until I receive quarters...

The bottom of the LH A-post was gone, so I made a new section and welded it into place.
And I remade the lower section of the LH rear door jamb area as that was badly repaired previously.

a9xCYva8kdLa5vdhWeCRexiUIywpJg3xeKZvadpD

-r96fHN5emExeMznPWG-d-QucQlmGuJDfGZrSFfT

Liberal application of KBS Rust seal:
tuGs8XAF3xVLDQVqAENW8mnelvKOpHG5UxmoMlxr

Outer sill screwed into position and the door fitted to check the gaps:
rZMzdhkpxUf9D3sSUWHMtRg7HdZRCoLbev-Dnvyh

veqUgUzUDD16b9Ma9tURGOlp-q8hdarTi3mP715y

HvORcj1EygfzjYYWrYgryqUSAKWjwAooCXFZ3bkb 

Onto the RH side next...

• 3 weeks later...

RH side was next, so the door was gapped so I had something to compare the gaps too.

e1XsLMK3JsbBVfrdENS875CiMj8-j2gmTeZ82GKq

And the bad repairs:

D1RXa7yLijNynS-SIb6CVKyzmHNJQq3PsG4fnuwl

VV61vDC6bAL5rJOILadTNtfRvYfJbUQqkK69Zxed

Nothing for it, but to start cutting it all out:

79ilroTNbwYC0-Yv8nvOzYv0xGsbyVyuUTDLXSkL

7eZjAK7wFPQEJgf7TmhJKavti7oxU1x9JTuok22c

And then start reinstalling the funky green panels:

-EStjyd1mJ5DvGkZJwlqtxKwI3ue2iDLU40C8-e-

Jwmrbx2DS1jNvv44mpCa2TiUITQo7NfQbhuUVlLL

Outer sill on, bottom of A post repaired and welded back in along with the bottom of the B post:

7ChX_fWe-kYw9o9w60EzhqG6qo5-g3xCBJvpg0Qg

-dbEcqYAhfLhY6sP_cTGdTNdeprfvHhHKm9Zn5Jc

While I was installing the sills, I had one of my guys - Paul - straighten the original LH guard as it had been beaten around more than a honeymooners wedding tackle:

VA-drxdKDO_Uw8vSnmIj8OM47t4o6WIOp3s9Evrw

TCYmauC4Qj-7bRqCwOavO6dXqdvJ_3OElggaRm_i

Floors are next...

59 minutes ago, gilltech said:

Jesus that car has had a tough life... your impressive work though is bringing it back from the brink. Looking at that butt joint in the lower part of the last photo, what's the plan to deal with the cut'n'shut front quarter?

I believe that’s a stock join isn’t it? From memory it’s the join of the a pillar and air plenum that goes the the nose of the car. 

1 hour ago, gilltech said:

Jesus that car has had a tough life... your impressive work though is bringing it back from the brink. Looking at that butt joint in the lower part of the last photo, what's the plan to deal with the cut'n'shut front quarter?

That's where they repair was joined, but it's also where they join them with stich welds from the factory.

What I meant is that the structural welding, by a repair person unknown, looks extremely poor (an understatement). One can presume that the rest of the welding used to attach the replacement front quarter, way back when, is of a similar low standard. So, what to do? Take the quarter off again and make all good?

The welding from factory was very rough in that area.

Lucky what do you use on the raised joint between the air tube and plenum its seems to be a non hardening mastic (brand?)

Nick

Edited by NickF

On 7/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, gilltech said:

So, what to do? Take the quarter off again and make all good?

Watch this space...

On 7/17/2021 at 5:17 PM, NickF said:

Lucky what do you use on the raised joint between the air tube and plenum its seems to be a non hardening mastic (brand?)

I'll just be sealing it with regular seam sealer, Nock.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, RestoZ said:

That's Lucky without a U

You seam to be having the same issue as Nock above... Are you two related?

On 7/20/2021 at 11:26 AM, C.A.F. said:

yTELHZtBotT-B5xe7N8gwyDjL2ip51FLfFlfa4A9

And this is the reason I removed it - I needed access to repair this:

CBV-6E6gv26J__ZJqu9KCO4YFM8nENmegCi0kRAM

I need to do this exact same thing to repair mine, wanted to take that panel off exactly as you have, but I’d never seen it done. Good to know it’s doable! Great work!

I decided to remove the plate inside the plenum that reinforces the pedal box mounts on the inside - no exactly easy to get at, but I eventually got it removed:

XNtt7Z-HYXO4mDSthuIx_mWTm2i2U0l3YtOq4GN9

Tasty...

I wire brushed the area, then I make a repair patch to follow the curves, cut the rusted section out and welded in the new piece into place. 

MS5pWRLZB4bkZa0tIzqq8wuC0l1NsC9KumuU0eCK

ZZMXQdhl_KUKmvGHkEgB1Hn-pOnNL-Oe2wd_S8O0

HukBVqNemoTpYx1MkeYUxvYNkLZgAcWlklKwT5HP

of6fxjRMW3-q2PqXJmwoMOsNzMmJV7cojJzBkIQ4

Edited by C.A.F.

4 hours ago, gilltech said:

Rust damage every which way you turn.

And  how many of our cars have this insidious rust "infection" quietly eating away from the inside out? - the answer is all of them - it just varies as to how extensive it is :-(

And sellers on Carsales want you to pay ~$100k when you have no idea as to what is happening under the shell of the car - crazy!

Unless they have had the C.A.F. restoration treatment :-)

Ah, yes, but restoration implies putting the subject back to as-made. From what I'm seeing I'd go further and describe that detailed work as preservation, better than the factory's effort of the day, with enhanced longevity for enjoyment by future generations. Perhaps pass the car down to ones grandchildren... ::) 

Except petrol may be a limited commodity by then so conversion to an electric power plant might be required along the way... >:D 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, AndBir said:

Unless they have had the C.A.F. restoration treatment :-)

This is why I like to buy the cleanest car possible to begin with... Because otherwise you're doing exactly what is being done here. Everything!