Recent Upgrades 14/10/2020

• Administrators

Hi Folks,

Quick update: I ran the latest software update and with it came some layout changes and other improvements. The site may be slow for a little as everything is re-indexed and cleaned up - post install.

It looks like some custom touches for the website banner have rendered some icons/text hard to read. I'll fix that as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for your patience.

Also any feedback as always is welcome.

• Administrators

FYI, I got some feedback and I noticed this too, but the site may be a little slower post update.

I suspect it's because the software is running some background re-indexing and clean up tasks. So some pages may take a few seconds longer to load. If this persists past a few days I'll be looking further into it.

Please provide feedback here on your experience.

Hi Gav

when viewing unread posts and clicking on the most recent post of a thread, I am taken to that most recent post but, iirc previously it would take you to the most recent post in that thread that I have not read. This way you wouldn’t miss or have to scroll back to find where you were up to in the thread. 
is it just me or is this something new?

i hope that makes sense.
mick

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Cozza said:

Hi Gav

when viewing unread posts and clicking on the most recent post of a thread, I am taken to that most recent post but, iirc previously it would take you to the most recent post in that thread that I have not read. This way you wouldn’t miss or have to scroll back to find where you were up to in the thread. 
is it just me or is this something new?

i hope that makes sense.
mick

I haven't noticed it, but I'll have a look.

I just got an update that there is a new release with several bug fixes.

https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

I haven't read it in detail, but perhaps that behavior is fixed in the new release?

I'll run the update soon and we can perhaps check back in if the behavior has reverted back or still different to before?

However I've noticed the threads where I haven't read the updates have a marker now so you know which posts you previously read up to. Which I thought was a handy feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

FWIW I haven't managed to run the update yet. But I've noticed for a while now some background clean up tasks are stuck and not progressing. I've asked Invision Power support to have a look to see if they can fix it. I suspect this may be causing some slowness in terms of response times. I also noticed it broke a lot of images in my own build thread (before I used attachments and would reference third party hosts), I am hoping these issues will be fixed once the background process kick off again (since it will rebuild image caches).

Once that's resolved I'll look at running the latest update(s).

• Administrators

I am actually finding the site more responsive, but there is a bunch of background tasks that have locked up and I've reached out to the software support team for help. It may be that they were running certain tasks on the server to try and fix why these tasks were stuck and that may have caused choppiness?

The broken images are somewhat related. The site needs to re-index the image proxy, which is 1 of the stuck tasks. This impacts externally referenced images (not hosted here) and has caused them to appear broken. (NB: Homepage PayPal Donate button is an externally referenced image - hence it's broken also).

I am hoping once this re-indexing is complete the site should be faster to respond also.

Will update you when this issue is resolved. Support asked me to run the latest updates to see if that would fix the issue, but as you can see it didn't. So they are having a look.

• Administrators

Background tasks should now be finished. There was an issue with a large file that couldn't be moved to Amazon hosting and was getting stuck in the queue.

*Edit looks like it was 1 of @Gordo 's videos so I'll need to see if we can maybe move it to Youtube instead. Raw .mov files are just too large.

Images should be re-indexed (fingers crossed).

• Administrators

As a follow up to the last post and the task that got hung up due to the large video. This interrupted the moving of files between the old local storage on the server to the Amazon S3 storage. I have had a couple of folks message me about broken images in their threads. I assume this is for posts created recently that didn't quite get migrated across (or at least the threads still have references to the old location).

For example if you see a broken image in a thread of yours.

It will likely be because the image is pointing to:

Old location:

https://www.viczcar.com/uploads/monthly_2020_08/86997C7A-3CE6-455D-B333-5BD02BE52D84.jpeg.dd50af1c6b86a8de3bffeea114ef4aec.jpeg

New location:

https://auszcarinvisionbucket.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_08/86997C7A-3CE6-455D-B333-5BD02BE52D84.jpeg.dd50af1c6b86a8de3bffeea114ef4aec.jpeg

The images themselves have not been deleted, just the referenced location..

If you're having issues please link to the thread where you're seeing a problem here.

I've found that if you edit the post you can see the attachments in the bottom of the editor and can fix these images.

If there is enough people impacted I'll look at writing an SQL statement to make the updates the short way..

Note: The new location is basically the Amazon storage (static storage) location eg: auszcar invision bucket the next part is the server name s3.ap-southeast-2 (local server in Asia) and amazonaws is the service. This has given us much more scalable storage space for attachments etc..