Sign in to follow this  
daretobedifferent

240Z Passenger Door

You don't know until you ask right?

If no one has one within the timeframe that I'll need then I'll definitely grab one from muscle car parts. Just trying to keep a tight lid on the budget for now. 

11 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

Just go buy a new one from Muscle Car Parts - they look identical. 

The thrill and ease of spending other people money ::) :)

Jeff

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CBR Jeff said:

The thrill and ease of spending other people money ::) :)

Jeff

It's not that at all Jeff.

(Assuming you are being serious) It's a factor of economics - if you can find an original Z door, it'll have rust. So once that's fixed, you then have to paint strip it. That's $$$ and it becomes a false economy.

The new doors are brand new and an excellent fit - just paint and fit. And you'll never have to worry about rust appearing ever again.

Edited by C.A.F.

Locky I wasn’t  being totally serious. Rather a comment on exactly what you have said. You are a business and look at it that way. You spent other people money to get them the best outcome. As opposed to it being a hobby. 
BTW I totally agree with you.

I spent ages working on my original bonnet. The reproduction ones were not available at the time. I was never 100% happy with it. So I recently picked up a preproduction one from MCP that I will paint at some stage and fit to the car. Probably would have just replaced the drivers site door if they were available as well. 

Jeff

Posted (edited)

I agree with the comments above but the economics of buying used + repairing has worked out better for me so far.

I think the assumption you're having is I'll just buy a used rusty one and that's false, it would still have to be good. I think most people don't know how to inspect panels and that's where the horror stories begin. My personal method is to always inspect the backside of the panel for rust / past repairs / dents, the frontside of a panel doesn't really give away much unless its obvious. 

With patience, I've managed to pick up a driver door (no rust, I do admit I probably got very luck to find this, the blasters asked me how the heck did I find one in this condition) + driver and passenger fenders (with some rust, no repro's in stock so just had to go with the best ones I could find) + bonnet (no rust, just two small dents on the top side which pulled out very easily) + blasted inside and out + did the repairs myself for in total $1,300.

The go to is definitely always just to buy new parts which is what I'm going to do if nothing turns up, but I see no point if I can wait it out and try to find some good used ones. There are still other jobs I need to complete for the car, so I'm happy to wait it out for now. 

Edited by daretobedifferent