Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice knowing you Ryan - see you in 20 years

Hi all Really looking forward to getting this project moving and getting all of your input and advice along the way! Names Ryan, I have been a lurker on here for a very many years now. I am

Hopefully not too much white powder on the parts to trigger Aus. customs interest 

Posted Images

Received some goodies in the mail...

really glad I was able to support an Australian supplier instead of send money to the US. Thanks Lurch 

CD22BC3E-11C9-44F3-A609-7512D21B3554.thumb.jpeg.51c4b67e28372b160227b00dcab0c79b.jpeg97A67434-1F19-4E17-A225-40AD4DA0875A.thumb.jpeg.49cd39d0acd075e9e002d91834fd2b7e.jpegDB627505-9861-4DD1-8266-2730174C238E.thumb.jpeg.ca5c5c5ec347139a95819556efb277f6.jpeg

I have to say quality is fantastic. Fitment is unknown but I am highly confident they will fit well. 

Two questions for the maestro of metal @C.A.F.

1. What is this cut out for? Is it the tie rod brackets? I was trying to look through my photos to work it out but didn’t have a underside shot of my rails. 

CE292649-1517-417D-A668-E7F88EA998E2.thumb.jpeg.c18c57f55b726a6d51c4d987d4770f6d.jpeg

2. I won’t be installing these for a while, do you recommend I chuck some easyphos or something for protection in the meantime? 

ryan 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME
Link to post
Share on other sites

That notch will need to be cut back to match the inner skirt. It'll become clear when you offer it up into position.

If you are not installing them soon, a coat of silver gal or cold gal is advisable. Also before you install them, paint the inside with KBS/POR15/Rust Bullet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

That notch will need to be cut back to match the inner skirt. It'll become clear when you offer it up into position.

If you are not installing them soon, a coat of silver gal or cold gal is advisable. Also before you install them, paint the inside with KBS/POR15/Rust Bullet.

Ok no worries

yep was planning on a inner coat of kbs, no worries I’ll throw some gal down. 

Cheers Lurch

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

So I’ve decided to start doing some small parts restoration at home. As anyone who is following along knows, the car is not at my place but about 35-40 mins away. I only work on it once a fortnight, basically a day of my R&R. So to keep motivation and progress rolling I’m doing these mini projects. 

First Mini Project is...

 

597E1F5B-38FF-45C2-93D1-CDE809233DA6.jpeg

AF77A30B-EA70-4D59-972D-BA0DCEA8649B.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

As you all know I’ve never done any of this before so I’m relying on you wise sages to correct my mistakes and give your worldly advice...

I was thinking about doing one SU at a time just to have one to reference off when rebuilding but I’ve taken a lot of photos and feel confident I can put them back together using those. Let me know your thoughts. 

Planning to:

-order a Ztherapy rebuild kit

-vapour blast intake manifold, bodies and dome

-replate hardware

-new hoses 

let me know if I’ve missed anything critical

few photos of dismantle on front SU

CC762CE3-E899-4CA2-BF38-FDF7A976C0F4.thumb.png.622a673ff8108da11b176d76e05de16d.png3355C88F-84F6-412D-A7E3-5E6722E8866B.thumb.jpeg.588d0b5d3789af3fd8d82bfc4d08467b.jpeg87A61EE1-4EF5-471C-987E-D7F0991A7A06.thumb.jpeg.75818e0a08721ffcb5657c433d1df633.jpeg3C377733-E6EC-4F30-BF4E-20A2D26523AC.thumb.jpeg.a9cf6ccb714014d69c3a66a293d88427.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Getting the needles out can be a pita. I was gonna check you removed the grub screw. Basically what's holding it in is a bunch of carbon build up (probably from the PCV being fed into the intake). You could try soak it in kerosene or use lots of carb cleaner on it and let it sit for a while. 

I butchered my needles getting them out (with pliers) because I ran out of patience. I kind of regret doing that too!

Z-Therapy will give you new needles but the original L24 sized ones are hard to find now and generally the Z-therapy ones are SM needles which are a bit rich..from what I've seen.

You won't regret getting Z-therapy rebuilds. I had a bunch (4 sets) done a while ago. I think I sold 2 sets and kept 2. Can get a little expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Getting the needles out can be a pita. I was gonna check you removed the grub screw. Basically what's holding it in is a bunch of carbon build up (probably from the PCV being fed into the intake). You could try soak it in kerosene or use lots of carb cleaner on it and let it sit for a while. 

I butchered my needles getting them out (with pliers) because I ran out of patience. I kind of regret doing that too!

Z-Therapy will give you new needles but the original L24 sized ones are hard to find now and generally the Z-therapy ones are SM needles which are a bit rich..from what I've seen.

You won't regret getting Z-therapy rebuilds. I had a bunch (4 sets) done a while ago. I think I sold 2 sets and kept 2. Can get a little expensive.

Thanks gav! I’m not in too much of a rush with this as I just I’m just doing these mini projects when my 2 year old is napping. He loves waking up to find tools on the coffee table....>:D  I’ll try the kerosene and carb cleaner soak and see what happens. I have read your SU rebuild thread over a few times so knew you had troubles too. 

Can I ask how much a restored set up retails for nowadays? Ball park figure? I’m still undecided on if I am running SUs or going straight to Weber’s, I think it will depend on if a decent second hand Weber set up comes available before the decision needs to be made (which will be a couple years away....) I’m not willing to buy new, cost is insane....

Ryan 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I can't recall the cost now for the Z-Therapy rebuilds. It wasn't cheap though. They should be able to quote you, but shipping there and back gets expensive.

I bought a bunch of cores in the US and sent them direct that way. Problem is getting stung on import duties on the way back.

Depends on what you want from the car, but I am a big fan of Triple Mikunis. Weber's tend to be a mixed bag based on when and where they were cast.

Mikuni really improved the Solex design over the years.. but they are not cheap either (for good reason).

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/mikuni

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gav240z said:

I can't recall the cost now for the Z-Therapy rebuilds. It wasn't cheap though. They should be able to quote you, but shipping there and back gets expensive.

I bought a bunch of cores in the US and sent them direct that way. Problem is getting stung on import duties on the way back.

Depends on what you want from the car, but I am a big fan of Triple Mikunis. Weber's tend to be a mixed bag based on when and where they were cast.

Mikuni really improved the Solex design over the years.. but they are not cheap either (for good reason).

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/mikuni

Ahhh sorry I meant I’m going to do the rebuild myself, using the Ztherapy DIY kit they supply. 

I know they do roller bearings etc but I’m not convinced it’s essential. 

You mentioned to me you thought the rebuild you did yourself was nicer than the Ztherapy rebuild you had done, so I’m going DIY. Will probably be half the price of sending them to Z therapy to do. As you say shipping and import duties are killer. 

What I meant was you said you sold a couple of pairs, how much does a rebuilt SU setup sell for these days? I have heard 1500-2000$ Unrestored  but haven’t seen anything myself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well sorry it’s taken time to get back to updating the needle sitcho. 

but this little thing has been keeping me busy, she arrived last week. 

DAD7EC51-F433-4EAE-8784-D8F39281A616.jpeg

But I did get round to trying to get the needles out, I decided to first try some rubber and some vice grips as it was the easiest to conjure.

DC80AFCC-3EEE-4B3B-860A-A81225F3E8E7.jpeg

And long story short it worked! Just needed the grip  of the rubber to apply enough torque to twist it free!  The second needle came out by hand. 

One of the needles had N27 on it, the other had nothing. I believe these are 240z needles? 

Ryan

Link to post
Share on other sites

And (hopefully) by the time you have the car back on the road the WA Govt. may have in place their proposed classic car rego scheme (similar to that in NSW/Vic) :  https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/concessions.asp

Work has commenced on regulatory changes to introduce the Concessions for Classics scheme (C4C) – a voluntary conditional licensing scheme which will be available to eligible street rods and vehicles manufactured prior to 1990, including motorcycles.

A vehicle licensed under the C4C scheme:

  • can be used for a maximum of 90 days annually, being
    • 60 days to participate in approved motoring club sanctioned events; and
    • 30 days for personal use, testing, maintenance and repair. 
  • cannot be used for fee, hire or reward; and
  • must display an approved plate or label stating ‘restricted use’, which is to be affixed to the top or bottom of the vehicle number plate(s) to identify that the vehicle has restricted road use.

Vehicle owners who wish to apply for the C4C scheme will need to be a financial member of a DoT approved motoring. DoT approved motoring clubs will be required to maintain a record of vehicle use by their members for auditing and compliance with the scheme. 

Eligible vehicle owners who apply for the scheme will receive a 75% vehicle licence fee discount, along with a reduced motor injury insurance premium.

COVID-19 has delayed the implementation of this initiative however DoT is continuing to progress the legislative changes and upgrading systems to support the Concessions for Classics scheme.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha congrats on the little one mate!!! I was wondering when it would arrive because you mentioned on my thread you were due soon!

I've started to get "some" time back in the shed now. My little one is pretty chill now (she is 3 months old next week)

On weekends I can usually get up at the crack of dawn to give her a morning feed, put her back to bed and she will sleep for another 4 or 5 hours and that's when I'll sneak into the garage and get as much done as I can.

Rudi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, AndBir said:

And (hopefully) by the time you have the car back on the road the WA Govt. may have in place their proposed classic car rego scheme (similar to that in NSW/Vic) 

Yeah my mate sent me that not long ago, good scheme, makes owning a classic slightly more affordable! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...