Jacksonp2483

WTB: 240z/260z

Hey Z car guys n gals, 

I’m looking to buy a complete and running 240z or 260z. After something modified, but I am open to anything. engine swaps are ok depending what kind.

please get in touch and let me know if you have something. ✌️ 

M8 at the prices most people are asking its just not worth buying a z anymore.

If they are cheaper it is because it will cost you an arm and a leg to restore and remove rust.

The z car has gone out of reach of the average man and enthusiast lets face it for the 40k or 50k they are asking for a reasonable z you can buy a reasonably new mustang 5litre v8 that goes harder handles better looks better and is a hell of alot safer.

I have given up on the z's too many wankers wanting high prices which is why they don't sell and they end up keeping them.Or wait a few months when everyone is desperate for cash and they have to sell them at a reasonable price to survive.

Hey mate, I’ve seen some of the ridiculous prices yes but I’ve also been lucky enough to find a couple within good reasonable price thats aren’t rusted buckets. Had someone on here offer me something nice a few months ago and now won’t reply to my txts and calls unfortunately. But other than that you I couldn’t pay me to drive a mustang. Not a fan. But yeah I’ll either hang out for this guy or I’m in the market for an r35. 

Posted (edited)

I have given up on the z's too many wankers wanting high prices which is why they don't sell and they end up keeping them.

That may be your impression but it's not at all accurate. The reality is that the Zs were not built in large numbers to start with, and too many have succumbed to rust and neglect over many early years when they were, in hindsight, very much under-valued simply because they are Japanese cars. How things have changed. My long-term-owned and as yet un-restored RS30 has easily tripled in value over the past dozen years. So has everyone else's.

Having restored several early Mustangs, I can tell you now that it costs a lot more and is a lot harder to restore a Z than an early Mustang simply because, unlike the Mustang scene, parts are scarce, there is very limited and spasmodic support from the aftermarket, and so few parts are being re-manufactured. Makes it hard and time-consuming to restore a Z when one has to fabricate so much from scratch.

I expect that many of the more expensive S30s on the market, the good ones which have undergone at least some if not total restoration, would in fact owe their owners a lot more than the asking prices. That's the uncomfortable reality.

It's a case of supply and demand at the end of the day. My 2c worth anyway.

Edited by gilltech

You Have a few good points there

I believe my impressions are totally accurate the current market and lack of high priced cars for sale that do not sell is proof of this.

The z's have become overpriced.

and yes you are right they simply are not worth restoring or cost effective to buy due to the overinflated prices and scarce availability of parts. That is why the expensive s30's just dont sell and sit there for months,simply they just are not worth the overinflated prices people are asking. 

The datsun was an affordable car to do up resto and enjoy now they are just not worth it.

Unless prices go down you would have to be crazy or love the s30 alot to buy one now. Id buy a reasonable one for 20k max and one that needs rust work thats not ready for the tip like most of them for 10k. At the end of the day they are still s30's  a reasonable sports car but by no means a sports car commanding a high buy price.

I am trying the us as a guy imports them and they seem to be mostly rust free,a few dings here and there but at roughly 18k Australian landed it might be a good option for me.

Posted (edited)

Evening folks,

I think there are still opportunities on scoring a good priced Zed. It really depends on the seller and what they want to do with their Z.
In time people will have to let go of their vehicle and some simply want to pass it down to the next happy owner. 

It can get frustrating seeing very bad examples and very un-roadworthy cars going for sale at high prices, but they do not sell well. It could be a flipper or just someone trying  to
make up their losses.

Maybe an important note is not to feel left out of the market (can admit, how I feel sometimes), there are always better and more useful things  your money can be used for.
Try not to be too greedy too when you do get that opportunity

My Apologies Jackson, for indirectly responding off topic. Hope you find one too! maybe put down a budget and some more detail?
I did get some private offers on my old post, one of them was quite nice but had a different engine.

Cheers!

Edited by DattoZ
going off topic.

28 minutes ago, DattoZ said:

It can get frustrating seeing very bad examples and very un-roadworthy cars going for sale at high prices, but they do not sell well. It could be a flipper or just someone trying  to
make up their losses.

I think this car is a great example of the above .

Not Engineered 

No RWC or Reg 

RUST ! 

Asking $75k :o

Screenshot_2020-07-30-19-20-27-69.png

Well we'll have to agree to differ on some matters.

and yes you are right they simply are not worth restoring or cost effective to buy due to the overinflated prices and scarce availability of parts. That is why the expensive s30's just dont sell and sit there for months,simply they just are not worth the overinflated prices people are asking.

I'm not saying they are not worth restoring or cost effective, not at all. If you want one today, then you either stump up the money for either a good working car or a sound project car as suits, or walk away and buy something else that takes your fancy. The good cars that are sensibly priced do sell from what I've observed. 'Overpriced' ones - where owners have tipped a lot of money in and naturally want to get most of that back - will take longer and many owners are happy to sit on them meanwhile as prices come up if not forced to sell urgently. That's their choice, doesn't mean they are wankers as you put it. You would surely do the same were the roles reversed, no-one wants to 'do their dough' although in the automobile world it's easy to do. It doesn't take long to tip K$40-50 into a car, a decent paint job can cost K$15 plus never mind all the body work prior.

If you do go down the USA-source route remember that their cars are LHD with all the implications of that. Their 260Z and 280Z are also different in many details, take the chunky MPH bumpers for starters. Best of luck in your search. One never knows what might pop up in a fire sale; just be ready to move very fast on it as you're not the only one looking. The 260Z 2+2 prices usually lag behind the 240Z/260Z 2-seater prices so that's been a sensible and practical option for a lot of Z owners.

Thanks Gilltech.

That is you opinion ,however ill note it and disregard it just all the same thanks, good chatt 

No offence taken naturally. Good luck in your search though, hope something turns up for you soon. And for the OP not forgetting him.

Same as the one my mum had. Went quite well but a bit under-powered compared to my SSS.

Good luck finding parts for that, I suspect rust and the crusher took care of the vast majority of those.

Hayden why are you posting on a zed forum ripping into zed prices? Think you may have to pick your crowd better.

As a somewhat relevant aside, someone is not a wanker simply because they want a lot of money for their car. Documented sale prices have proven values are higher than what they were so to deny that is just burying your head in the sand. Prices changes and time moves on. A cheap zed used to be $1000.. then it was $5k. Now a cheap zed is $30k. Sale prices are not made up, they are a result of people making informed decisions with their cold hard earned cash.

I'd suggest you jump on the ET pulsar forum if you are just going to rip into owners on this forum because you can no longer afford one.

Ps. A Mustang is faster, newer, has better tech, even bluetooth, nice cold AC and lovely powerful V8 - but none of those are reasons why you buy a zed.

7 hours ago, Hayden said:

I have given up on the z's too many wankers wanting high prices which is why they don't sell and they end up keeping them.Or wait a few months when everyone is desperate for cash and they have to sell them at a reasonable price to survive.

This is probably just bait. But I can't help myself.. since I love a good game of tennis.

Spare a thought for us long term enthusiasts a minute, every other day some flat brimmed hat wearing, vape smoking, soy latte drinking, YOLO kid, joins up looking for a 240z/260z (2seaters ONLY PLEASE)* and hoping they will get a rust free, straight, RB25 400HP + conversion car, fully engineered, DID I SAY rust free car? for $20k? Oh and they have been looking for 6 months and have got sick of looking in the classifieds and want it all spoon fed to them. But first they want to offer their doomsday example of an S13 coupe which has been put into every wall at the drift track with a massive dildo gearknob pic as 1 of the key selling points.

* Oh btw 2+2's are a strict no no, because it won't score you enough instagram internet points when slammed on its guts with massive flares, cheap eBay fender mirrors, LED tail lamps, massive bright red Recaro's and a straight pipe exhaust affectionately known as "blast pipes".

But of course we the owners are the "wankers". :).

5 hours ago, Hayden said:

At the end of the day they are still s30's  a reasonable sports car but by no means a sports car commanding a high buy price.

According to Hayden's book of collectible sports cars from the 60's/70's and 80's? Someone paid $300k for an old Ford Falcon covered in Chicken Shite.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-30/rare-ford-falcon-sells-for-300k-after-30-years-in-shed/12503282

And you're complaining about S30Z prices?

I am trying the us as a guy imports them and they seem to be mostly rust free,a few dings here and there but at roughly 18k Australian landed it might be a good option for me.

LOL, ok good luck with that. I actually really hope you get a good car. But let me just say I've seen a lot of these HLS30's in the flesh. They are often in far worse shape than HS30s but look "good in photos". In person it's another deal all together. Prices in the US have been rising and a car that cheap is unlikely to be any good. Plus it's resale value in this part of the world will be lower.

The z's have become overpriced.

Not really, when you consider there is none on the market anymore. In terms of classic cars compared to many of their peers they still represent good buying. Whilst central banks keep printing money (they call this stimulus) it will just keep inflating asset prices (seen the price of gold or BTC lately?). What about real estate? They are viewed as a bit of a safe haven asset. Unlike that Mustang you crowed about which is a depreciating asset at this point in the cycle.

You can also buy a Z34 for $20k now, but nobody seems to want those, despite probably being better than an early Z at everything. Except turning heads. :).

2 hours ago, Hayden said:

That is you opinion ,however ill note it and disregard it just all the same thanks, good chatt 

I like it when the new guys make an effort to fit in. :).

48 minutes ago, cracker said:

As a somewhat relevant aside, someone is not a wanker simply because they want a lot of money for their car.

I can understand the sentiment if you've missed out on the price boom. I am still upset I didn't jump on a GTR (R32/R33 or R34 in particular). I thought R34 GTRs were expensive at $40k back in 2012 odd. I was like I'll wait a bit longer and prices will come down a bit more. Never happened though! Now I kick myself lol.

Such is life.

Id buy a reasonable one for 20k max and one that needs rust work thats not ready for the tip like most of them for 10k. At the end of the day they are still s30's  a reasonable sports car but by no means a sports car commanding a high buy price.

20K will just, if your lucky just, get you in the door of owning a "so called" decent S30 shell (until you strip it down and get it dipped or blasted) is unregistered, an auto and in need of another 40K in body work and some parts. Then the rest depending on where you want to go with your Z.

There are good examples at the 60K mark and you would still need to put in $$$ to get it looking to what you really like (even at that price there would be rust). If you want a nut and bolt restored S30 then diggggg deepppp

Either you spend the money or sit back, admire the Members Projects Journal page or Google Images under the search Datsun 240z.

This is an absolute  blast.

Look at all the haters.

Dont hate kids lol.

Way to much effort in ya hate mail.

And 2+2 look like absolute trash. Id rather drive a busted shopping trolly.lol keep it coming butt hurt  much salty as guys. 

It's funny - I recently sold a 240 and when listed on EBay I literally had over 20 people message me saying 'I will give you 10K or 12K cash tomorrow' (even after the price was higher than 12k), and telling me how crap my car was and that I needed to give them a quick answer otherwise they were going to buy something else.

At the end of the day, the price is the point at which a buyer and seller agree.  Some people get a deal, some don't.  I tried to get a 2+2 last week but we could not agree on price, that said, I think he will end up with his asking.  It will just take me a while to realise a good 2+2 is worth more than I want to currently pay, and if I am honest with myself, I will ending up probably just paying more.

Hi Cliff

If you dont mind me asking What did you sell the 2 seater for in the end or are you keen to keep that one to yourself which is totally fine.

Buying a 2+2 should be a good experience as there are soooo many more of them and they are a fair bit cheaper. 

Best of luck getting your 2+2 mate,enjoy.

Lol settle down, ya bite like a pack of piranhas  lol

This is an absolute  blast. Look at all the haters. Dont hate kids lol. Way to much effort in ya hate mail.

What hate mail? You're the over-opinionated one. Members are taking the trouble to put forward opinions and advice as to a suitable budget and car values but clearly your mindset is firmly closed and you are rudely refusing to listen to owners of Zeds who have long experiences with the cars. And who are the best sources of information in what is quite a limited field and community when it comes to finding Z cars and parts for them.

You've talked yourself out of buying a Zed as you think they are over-priced, your budget is insufficient, so why are you still persisting in this conversation which you have hi-jacked from the OP?

Time to say goodbye.

I am curious if you have even driven an S30 of any variation and a current model Mustang?

I have owned a 2+2 up until recently, and been in a few 2-seaters (240z & 260z). Now i have never owned a mustang, but have covered a decent chunk of the US in a 2019 model, and would happily do so in one again, heck i'd even own one as a daily. Its good for long drives, comfy & all the mod-cons, but i tell you what, driving a S30 on the weekends, as most would not have an S30 for a daily now, it puts a smile on my face every time. There is something you get from driving an old Japanese classic, heck even a 90s JDM car, that you will never get from driving a heavy, modern & "safe" car such as a Mustang or even 370z. I am guessing you probably can't afford a new-ish Mustang, so maybe you should buy a Toyota 86 first.

also, as someone who really wants a 2-seater, I am also upset at the current prices, and have probably missed that boat, unless I sell my new born (jurys not out on that one yet), I can also appreciate to current prices on decent 2-seaters in Australia. HLS30s in the US in similar standard probably fetch for just as much, if not more over there. Even in Japan, S30s are getting up there.

So you are saying, all of these sellers are wankers? I doubt they are.......well maybe this guy https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-ryde/cars-vans-utes/1976-datsun-240z-red/1239391979 but you can't put everyone in the same boat. Maybe it's the people who are buying the said "overpriced" S30s that are the wankers?

Maybe try go buy a fastback Mustang, and then go let the current owners know how you feel as well. 

P.S. anyone selling a running rust free S30 2-seater for under $30k?