newbie from Darwin

G'day. I am a complete newbie at renovating a car so I am sure I will have lots of questions although I see lots of useful info on this site. I guess I am probably the only member from Darwin although stand to be corrected.

My son recently left home ( moved only 10 mins down the road) but before he went he said he wanted a project car for Father son bonding! He would have preferred something more modern having had 180sx, s13,s14,s15 and now an evo but I wanted something more of a classic and always loved the old Z cars. We used to see this old 260z drive past our house every day and then it stopped 5 years ago but we did see where it lived. It sat outside for 5 years not moving, we talked about it so I suggested my son wrote the owner a letter explaining we were looking for a project car for family bonding etc, ask if the owner was interested in selling and put it in the letter box. To cut a long story short he rang, we looked at it and now we own it - probably overpaid but have seen worse on e-bay for more money. It looks a bit rough, sun damage, rust buggered tailgate, a bit in sills, a bit near chassis rails etc. Having said that some parts look surprisingly good - no apparent rust in floor pans. It even came with the original warranty and service booklet!

Car was seized on the old owners property, took some time to free off brakes and then got it around to our house. Brakes cleaned up and fluid changed. All oils changed, new plugs, dist cap and rotor and of course battery. Got it running although very rough (that was a bit of a surprise) but now have to look forward to attempting to do her up, hopefully its not unsalvageable.

Oh..... and today enrolled on a mig course at uni as I know I am going to need it!

105734572_10219223713676573_6670677291743871445_n[1].jpg

104908099_10219223714116584_3161589495793206282_n[1].jpg

d3.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Edited by old and bold
removing view of vehicle rego

3 hours ago, old and bold said:

look forward to attempting to do her up, hopefully its not unsalvageable.

Certainly looks OK and if the rust is just as you described then it will definitely be salvageable.

A great father-son project :)

It looks like a very good candidate for a resto judging by the photos. Way better than some of the horrors that some Z owners have tackled on this forum.

What year 260Z is it? It's been cared for at one time, retro-fitted with round-top carbies and an alloy radiator.

It is 1976... I believe SU carbs fitted and last owner got the radiator done (prob due to our hot and humid conditions in Darwin). Last owner had it for 12 years he said although not moved for the last 5 (think he was happy driving his Carrera around). He was getting on a bit (reckon about 70) and did say he used to do most of the work on it himself. I suspect tailgate stuffed as the spoiler on the back had been screwed onto it so I think the water had got into the tailgate that way and boy do we get water in the wet season. We ended up paying 6k for it - I hope that was a reasonable price and I didn't want to insult the old boy.

Welcome to the Forum. 6K is a great price for a 2 seater. I also have the 1976 RS30 model. The carbs are the desired 240z Hitachi/SU models as opposed to the flat top original 260z carbs.

I noticed that the rear carb has the top fitted 90 degrees clockwise. The little bump should face the air cleaners like the front carb. When realigning make sure the piston moves up and down freely. Good luck with the build and have fun.

( opps!  Sorry guys, I thought that they looked like the Hitachi/SU carbs of the 240z. I stand corrected).

David.

Edited by Enzo
I supplied wrong information

2 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Welcome to the Forum. 6K is a great price for a 2 seater. I also have the 1976 RS30 model. The carbs are the desired 240z Hitachi/SU models as opposed to the flat top original 260z carbs.

I noticed that the rear carb has the top fitted 90 degrees clockwise. The little bump should face the air cleaners like the front carb. When realigning make sure the piston moves up and down freely. Good luck with the build and have fun.

David.

Thanks for that - it was probably me as I had the tops off cleaning them out and changing the damper oil..... 

4 hours ago, old and bold said:

Thanks for that - it was probably me as I had the tops off cleaning them out and changing the damper oil..... 

Just checked re rear carb being 90 degrees wrong position. Due to the way the three attaching screws are offset ie not equidistant, that is the only way that carb top can be fitted, I cannot rotate it so the bump is facing the air cleaner

Just looked on the internet, there are a few pics of dual HS6 SU that look like the same set up as mine, ie the offset bumps. Below is one pic off MGB found on the net

su6.jpg

Edited by old and bold
attach pic