What electric Fuel Pump?

cruzer

Hi all,

I will be putting in a L28 into my 260z.

As the L28's don't come with the eccentric cup washer that mounts on the front of the cam gear to operate the mechanical fuel pump, I can't install the mechanical fuel pump.

So my next option is to get an electric fuel pump.

What fuel pump is everyone using?

Any of them quite while in operation?

I'm guessing I need a max of 3-4 psi to keep it going.

Hi I use a carter p4070 - very noisey though but been reliable for 7+ years.

You could probably source the eccentric cup washer if you wanted to keep running the standard mechanical pump.  I ran mine that way for years also.

Edited by Roady

The link Locky posted above is the one.

I ran it originally with SU’s with the plan to install Weber’s (which is now what I have on the car).

Its installed right at the back right beside the fuel tank (with electric pumps, it generally helps prevent vapour lock having it close to the fuel tank).

Jason

If you are mounting the pump under the car at the tank there is already (normally) a wire (Green) in the std harness that is for an electric fuel pump. 
Runs from a plug at the fuse box to the tank with the fuel gauge sender  

Jeff

FE044A8F-5EB8-4E82-9AB2-82EDD8E39B84.jpeg

939F8D62-B370-486A-B49F-87B1B13E7320.jpeg

I picked up a wire (sorry cannot remember witch one) at the fuse box that was active when the ignition was turned to position 1. It was in the loom. I used this to tell the computer that ignition was on. Then ran the fuel pump output through a manual switch on the dash into the plug in the picture. Using the wire in the harness to connect to the in tank fuel pump. Im running EFI. The separate switch is a safety and anti thrift device so you cannot just start the car. If you have a dig around with a meter I  am sure you will find the a wire that is energised with the ignition.

Jeff

21 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

I picked up a wire (sorry cannot remember witch one) at the fuse box that was active when the ignition was turned to position 1. It was in the loom. I used this to tell the computer that ignition was on. Then ran the fuel pump output through a manual switch on the dash into the plug in the picture. Using the wire in the harness to connect to the in tank fuel pump. Im running EFI. The separate switch is a safety and anti thrift device so you cannot just start the car. If you have a dig around with a meter I  am sure you will find the a wire that is energised with the ignition.

Jeff

Thank Jeff. I'll poke around the wiring loom and figure it out.

16 hours ago, AndBir said:

Is a collision safety cut out switch (inertia activated) recommended for electric fuel pump installations?

My thinking is you need to stop the fuel flow in a event of an accident. Last thing you want the car to do is catch on fire!

I've looked into inertia switches as well, and apparently the Ford BF Falcon has these on the passenger footwell somewhere.

I'll check out my local wrecking yard and see what I can find.