Looking for a z project

Hayden

Hi Guys 

I am looking fpr a z project.

I am after a  240z/260z preferably with no motor or box as i want to change that anyway i am not going to keep original so im after a reasonable example but not a great one.and im after a 2 seater. 

Id like as little rust as possible however there is always a bit to remove on a z.

Thanks guys.

You have one for sale ?

It all depends the condition of the car.

I am after one closer to 10k but can go 15k if it is in reasonable condition.

Without motor and box etc prob only worth 5k to 10k. 

Who knows with covid and world economy might be worth 500 bucks by december.

A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time.

Thanks m8.

2 hours ago, Hayden said:

You have one for sale ?

Nope.

2 hours ago, Hayden said:

Without motor and box etc prob only worth 5k to 10k.

Good luck and I hope your rust removing skills and/or budget/time is up to the challenge.

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2020 at 5:40 AM, Hayden said:

Hi Guys 

I am looking fpr a z project.

I am after a  240z/260z preferably with no motor or box as i want to change that anyway i am not going to keep original so im after a reasonable example but not a great one.and im after a 2 seater. 

Id like as little rust as possible however there is always a bit to remove on a z.

Thanks guys.

Anyone in Sydney to inspect and put an offer in for you ? https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/potts-point/cars-vans-utes/datsun-240z-thursday-is-the-only-viewing-time-/1254110088

Hi andbir

Thanks for that i check everyday but did not see this one.

I have replied  and have someone who can take a look.

It depends on rust as to what i am willing to pay,looking at it now id say 8k max,however it may be better or worse. What do you think it is worth? 

Will wait to see.

Thanks again.

Been onto this since yesterday and this guy does not message back , he wont give out phone details and is very unclear on price.

I have a feeling its sold already.

Thanks for the spotting  though m8

The ad is still up here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/632638634314633 

I think this one is a lot of work and you dodged a bullet. If it's rusted that bad on the door and rear quarter, I can't imagine how bad it would be on the rest of the shell, it would take a lot of sheet metal work to recreate some of these panels and source panels, someone like username C.A.F. on these forums could probably get it done, but for a normal hobbyist it would take a lot of dedication. 

Yep still up he is closing the sale at 9 tonight.

He has had 60 people come to visit today and over 300 call's.  He got back to me and said he is conducting an auction. The highest 10 bidders he will call again in an hour and after that the highest bidder takes it.

Its at 9500k at the moment howerver im sure it will go for way more than it is worth.

Smart seller,he will get people to pay more this way however its dirty as. Im almost going to put in a stupid high price to win it and then decline the sale later. Dirty seller.

20 minutes ago, Hayden said:

Smart seller,he will get people to pay more this way however its dirty as. Im almost going to put in a stupid high price to win it and then decline the sale later. Dirty seller.

Good fishing on your part, you've got a bite.

Yes auction a bit poor, but seller might have no idea what's it's worth and not many people would sell something for less than people are willing to pay. Market value is what people are willing to pay. So what it's worth, is really what someone pays.

What would really piss me off is someone offering to buy something with absolutely no intention of doing  so. Had it done before. Nothing worse that people stuffing you around. I'll refrain from stating what I'd call someone like that. 

Edited by GregTas

It's his car, he is under no obligation to you, he's entitled to sell it off any way which suits him. He's been inundated with replies, so in actual fact a limited auction is the fairest way to ascertain the market price so the car goes to the keenest buyer who is prepared to take the greatest risk.

You call him a 'dirty seller', why? just because you don't like all the competition? yet you're considering playing dirty yourself and stuffing him around? Pot calling the kettle black.

He may need to get shot of the thing, but if it were me I'd sit on it for another year or two, it'll be making better money that way than the money in the bank earning less than 2% interest.

Edited by gilltech

gilltech

He cant afford to wait another 2 years as the market will crash and the car will be worth nothing then as noone will be buying cars,they will be focused on buying food and paying for a mortgage.

I didnt understand the rest of your rant can you please explain? 

1 hour ago, Hayden said:

Its at 9500k at the moment howerver im sure it will go for way more than it is worth.

There seems to be a difference between "what its worth" and "what Hayden thinks its worth".

"What its worth" is whatever a buyer and seller agree on, an auction type scenario will work out its true worth pretty quickly and accurately.

Edited by 1600dave

Thanks

Daretobedifderent

ill keep an eye out and see if anyothers come up for sale.

gilltech

He cant afford to wait another 2 years as the market will crash and the car will be worth nothing then as noone will be buying cars,they will be focused on buying food and paying for a mortgage.

44 minutes ago, gilltech said:

He may need to get shot of the thing, but if it were me I'd sit on it for another year or two, it'll be making better money that way than the money in the bank earning less than 2% interest.

Seems to be a deceased estate. Having been in a similar situation with my father's estate (which included a collection of vintage bikes), in most cases its not worth messing around to get a few extra bucks for something like this. Datsun nuts are freaking out about the opportunity to get a zed,  but to the seller its probably just one more thing amongst a pile of other stuff, house, etc that needs to be sold up quickly with the least hassle possible. "Best offer on the day" will sort that for them. 

Edited by 1600dave

So Hayden if the 'market crashes' won't everyone on this forum who likes buying old cars for more than a new car prices, just try and buy another one? So wouldn't this drive the prices back up to where they are now? :)

I suspect many of on here have a few years behind us and so smaller mortgages and plenty of food in the cupboards. I'd even be happy to stop eating for a while it it means I can get another one.

I don't think any of us understand your propensity to blame everyone else and publicly attack in particular Zed vendors for your inability, thus far, to obtain a Zed within your below-current-market budget range (you said max $10K for salvageable rusty and up to max $20K).  Surely the penny has dropped by now that you are most likely about a decade too late with that budget and left well behind. They've obviously been a pretty darn good investment over the past decade. But you say you don't see the value in Zeds any more.

Well looks like you're on your own there if that Sydney vendor has been inundated with interest and already has bids for what looks to be a very rough and risky prospect that is sitting under a pile of s**t and little attempt has been made to present it nicely for sale. Which just underlines what the rest of us have been saying all along.

You might be right, the classic car market might soften as it did during the GFC, but that scenario didn't last long. If prices slip back it actually makes the cars more affordable and collectible so more people who still have the means get into the market and prices rise again due to demand. Simple market economics.

So, either up your budget and have money ready to pounce and consider it an investment, or walk away and find something else that takes your fancy. Good luck.

30 minutes ago, Hayden said:

Greg

The answer is no.

You wont have the money to buy another car.

Infact you will try and offload the cars you have but noone will buy. 

Thanks for your concern, but I think I'll be just fine.

Although I do have a bit of a problem. My garage is getting a bit too small to fit more toys in. I don't like selling things which becomes a problem as you get older because you run out of space. Sounds like it'll need to be bigger in two years time to accommodate my new purchases. :) 

Edited by GregTas

Although I do have a bit of a problem. My garage is getting a bit too small to fit more toys in. I don't like selling things which becomes a problem as you get older because you run out of space. Sounds like it'll need to be bigger in two years time to accommodate my new purchases. :) 

Ditto. Me too! Damn, maybe it's time to build myself that 6-bay garage I've always wanted. Three Zeds, three Mustangs...