Kuba

Wakefield/Eastern Creek track days

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to take my 260z for a track day around Sydney, Eastern Creek or Wakefield, and wondering if there are any members who take their z's to the track?

Can't say I'm too experienced driving around the track, even less so with a classic so would be great to meet and hear some tips in between the sessions.

On the side note any recommendations for seats which will seat low enough for 1.88m dude with helmet?

The various Datsun clubs in Sydney tend to not run motorsport events themselves. Sydney Datsun Club puts on the odd weekday evening motorkhana on the wet skidpan at Eastern creek (although they tend to be more "random skids in the wet" than "proper motorkhana"). We don't have any planned at the moment, last one was scheduled for May but was cancelled due to Covid-19.

If you're interested, my "other" club (NSW MX5 Club) runs quite a few events a year on either the South Circuit at Eastern Creek, at Wakefield Park or at Pheasant Wood (Marulan). Most events include dedicated sessions for newcomers, with in-car instruction from experienced drivers for the first of those sessions at EC or WP, or full day driver training days at Pheasant Wood. Details of future events are on their website, all you need is to be a member of a CAMS-affilliated club and hold a CAMS licence (some events have on offer a single-day "Come and Try" licence to avoid the need to fork out the $120-odd for an annual licence), members of other clubs are welcome. 

As far as a seat goes, the key is to mount it as low as possible. What I did was measure the amount of usable floor space available and then check the base sizes of seats I was interested in plus of course the internal bum/hip width.  I'd start by checking out the Sparco range.

Hey Kuba, I have wrx seats in mine and I pulled the seat out and disconnected the springs which dropped the seat base foam to the floor and gave me enough room to fit with a helmet. I’m 187cm, I’m don’t know what seats your using but it might work.

21 hours ago, 1600dave said:

The various Datsun clubs in Sydney tend to not run motorsport events themselves. Sydney Datsun Club puts on the odd weekday evening motorkhana on the wet skidpan at Eastern creek (although they tend to be more "random skids in the wet" than "proper motorkhana"). We don't have any planned at the moment, last one was scheduled for May but was cancelled due to Covid-19.

If you're interested, my "other" club (NSW MX5 Club) runs quite a few events a year on either the South Circuit at Eastern Creek, at Wakefield Park or at Pheasant Wood (Marulan). Most events include dedicated sessions for newcomers, with in-car instruction from experienced drivers for the first of those sessions at EC or WP, or full day driver training days at Pheasant Wood. Details of future events are on their website, all you need is to be a member of a CAMS-affilliated club and hold a CAMS licence (some events have on offer a single-day "Come and Try" licence to avoid the need to fork out the $120-odd for an annual licence), members of other clubs are welcome. 

Been to the SDC skids, they're good fun but not really what I'm looking for. MX5 events look interesting, thanks for the info! Will need to wait for the whole pandemic to finish though to get some in car instruction, seems like this is off the cards for now.

1 hour ago, ScottyD said:

Hey Kuba, I have wrx seats in mine and I pulled the seat out and disconnected the springs which dropped the seat base foam to the floor and gave me enough room to fit with a helmet. I’m 187cm, I’m don’t know what seats your using but it might work.

Our cars already look way too look alike, at least the seats should be different ;)  I have saas seats, they're quite low but there's way to much foam. If only the padding would be removable!

Yep, definitely wait till after things settle down Covid-19 wise. I'm organising an MX5 Club motorkhana this Sunday and some of the changes we've had to make to get the event approved and running have been challenging to say the least. What would have been our next driver training day at Pheasant Wood in a few weeks has become an ordinary track day as no passengers / trainers are allowed at the moment. For the motorkhana this weekend we couldn't even get approval for parents to be in the car to supervise their kids so have had a couple of juniors pull out.

If you've done the SDC skids nights, we've probably met - I've been Clerk of Course for the last couple.