Newbie to this form - quick intro

Hi all,

thanks for letting me join this forum. I’m based in Sydney and am finally getting around to restoring my 1970 240Z. I bought this off my brother in about 2000 and it’s been sitting in my parents hay shed since then. I rescued it in Jan before the fires swept through SE NSW, and am now on the hunt for rust!

I expect this to be a lengthy project as I am keen to do most (if not all) the work myself and I want it done well. So I am in maximum learning mode and therefore looking for tips, tricks, techniques and (at times) moral support when I feel as though I am in over my head! By the looks of things in these forums, I think I am in the right place!

wish me luck!

Mike

9502B37E-3D90-4089-B7DC-20738CB6B695.jpeg

D6113009-0CE6-47AA-9527-9D3D0701095B.jpeg

• Administrators

Hey Mike,

Did Joe from Get My Ride recently tow this for you? I thought I saw a black 1 like this on his Facebook page.

Do you know what the chassis no. is?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mike F said:

So I have the little sister!

which one of your pair are you working on first? The white one looked mint!

The white 1 I've just put on temporary registration, will get it on Historic Plates as soon as possible. The Safari Gold car is my current project and priority, but it is also a lot of work. :)

2 minutes ago, gav240z said:

The white 1 I've just put on temporary registration, will get it on Historic Plates as soon as possible. The Safari Gold car is my current project and priority, but it is also a lot of work. :)

Have you done something like this before?

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Mike F said:

Have you done something like this before?

I've been trying for 20 years, does that count? :). A lot of it I'm doing for the first time. Learning as I go.

11 hours ago, gav240z said:

I've been trying for 20 years, does that count? :). A lot of it I'm doing for the first time. Learning as I go.

Haha - I’m in the same boat. I was finally inspired to get off my butt by watching the Might Car Mods guys do their 240Z, and then even moreso by watching Home Built by Jeff do his (which was a ground up restore). Then learning the craft by watching a zillion instructional vids by Eastwood and others, and of course practice practice practice. And that’s just the body work!!! I should be fine with the mechanical side of things.

• Administrators

The only word of caution I would give you is that bodywork is much harder than it looks (to get it right). Especially fixing previous collision damage, cutting out rust and patching it up isn't too bad.

If you are very picky with the overall finish of the car and bodywork, I'd highly recommend outsourcing some of the more difficult area. I've re-done a lot of spots I wasn't happy with and still not 100% happy with in some cases. Mechanical stuff on the other hand is easy enough to do (with the right tools).

The MCM boys bought a car with a solid body, which made everything else easy. The car Jeff bought was quite rough to begin with, he had a lot of messing about with the bodywork.

If you're in Sydney and want to do bodywork you may be interested in the classes at Ultimo. I have moved to Melbourne and can no longer attend.