WTB 260z Trans Tunnel black diamond vinyl (new or second hand)

Dirtydatto

Hi, I'm currently hunting a matching set of the interior black diamond vinyl to suite a late model 76, 260z coupe.

I am unable to find anywhere currently producing these in Australia or anyone that has these for sale. 
I'm happy to purchase either new or secondhand, as long as it is in reasonable condition. 

Preferably if you have the matching pieces for the rear strut towers that would be ideal. 

I'm located in Melbourne however more than happy to arrange shipping.
Please feel free to PM me pictures and prices.

Pictures below are as an example of what I am looking for. (Edit: I have a right hand drive car, these were just the best ones I could find to show what I am looking for)

Thanks guys 

35fb8-P1050158.jpg

72_240Z-3-1024x682.jpg

Edited by Dirtydatto

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone interested.

Found a U.S. supplier who has been honestly awesome to deal with and his reputation on the American forums seems to back his quality. 

He appears to be the one making the kit rather than just on-selling it and as such his price is cheaper than other suppliers and most importantly he's more than happy to flip the design for a right hand drive car.

So far so good but I'll do a proper write up in the appropriate sub-forum here with install and overall recommendation when it arrives and I can get it in.  

You can get viynl or leather sets from here, but they are in US. I'm assuming the late 260Z is the same as the 240Z

I haven't bought them, but bought a set of their seat covers and was very impressed with the quality. 

https://interior-innovations.com/product/1970-1973-datsun-240z260z-tunnel-covers/

Edited by GregTas

IIRC the vinyl in a late 260Z has a different looking pattern and texture to a 240Z.

240Z / early 260Z rear strut vinyls won't fit a late 260 as the rear strut housings are taller on the latter.

So if using a US supplier for your Aus late 260Z you'd be looking at their 280Z pattern, they only had the 260Z for about a year '74/'75-ish.

12 hours ago, gilltech said:

240Z / early 260Z rear strut vinyls won't fit a late 260 as the rear strut housings are taller on the latter.

So if using a US supplier for your Aus late 260Z you'd be looking at their 280Z pattern, they only had the 260Z for about a year '74/'75-ish.

Correctomundo! Also there are some (pretty minute) differences around the trans tunnel as well.

I ordered a 280z pattern and then got him to flip it.

@GregTas Yep those are the guys! I found a few of their products installed on the American forums with some good feedback to match. The seat covers especially look hella sick. 

@CBR Jeff @nat0_240_chevZ I had to order from the US because as mentioned above the late model 260z's are different to the earlier 260z's and 240z's, I may have a guy in Melbourne who has them in stock but i'll have to check. If he does i'm happy to pass on his details and if not i'll fill you in on this US supplier once I can confirm he is indeed the tits.   

Edit: unfortunately he does not, as mentioned above Interior innovations is where I ordered from and have been dealing with Khalid (https://interior-innovations.com/product-category/datsun-240z260z280z/) maybe a group buy is on the table?

Edited by Dirtydatto

Just looked back on it.. It was sold as a 1970 - 1978 240z/260z kit but I think the issue lies with the late 260z that was made specifically for the Australian market. 

They couldn't work out what had happened, ended up refunding me the $670 for the whole diamond leather kit and letting me keep it all. 

It was sold as a 1970 - 1978 240z/260z kit 

I've noticed that many parts suppliers don't realize that not all 260Zs in Australia are 2+2,  but in fact there are also 260Z 2-seaters that closely resemble the 240Z, albeit fewer of them, let alone allow for there being differences between the early and late models. It's complicated, the S30 scene, so many running changes. Just got to triple-check you're getting the right matching part before laying down your hard-earned.

The late 260Z was sold in other markets too, not just Australia. Some countries such as the USA (and Germany/Europe?) got the fuel injected 280Z, others the carby 260Z. Until all replaced by the S130 series.

Edited by gilltech

• 1 month later...

So! The kit is installed and i can give you all some feedback on how it turned out (followed at some point with pictures) 

Trans tunnel: perfect to a fault, turns out on left hand drive cars the handbrake is still located on the right hand side of the centre console aaaaaaaand in doing so is located a lot further forward than where it sits on a right hand drive car. This led to the cutout for the handbrake to be a good 30cm too far forward. To get around this I made a template of the hole and cut it out where the handbrake was actually located and then used some excess trim offcuts to fill in the  original hole. between the hole being located so far forward and lineing the excess trim up with the surrounding pattern it gets hidden nicely. 
I applied this trim over sound deadner but even with the extra layer it fit quite well, a few relief cuts required and if you wanted a completely smooth appearance over the tunnel you will need to apply either extra deadner or some other material around the inconsistencies stamped into the metal. 

luggage raiser: easiest to fit, no cutting required, however make sure to do this last as the side edges and hemmed seam over the centre console will present better than the other pieces. 

strut tower and wheel arches: start at the back and then work towards the front of the car with these, some small cuts required around the luggage raiser. Found it hard to get these to stay tight as the carboard pieces that sit against the strut towers kept moving slightly. all up they don't look perfect but i'm more or less happy.

overall quality: pretty good (8/10) you will need to put in relief cuts and more than likely modify the trans tunnel piece but the materiel itself is really nice and workable. i went for the vinyl option over the genuine leather and couldn't be happier. Looks almost identical to the original 240z trim.

• 1 year later...