Rear lower control arm bushes ?

ScottyD

57 minutes ago, ScottyD said:

should go for the rubber style

If you do, be aware the front and back bushes are different sizes and the workshop manual states the large fixing bolts on the ends should be tightened / torqued up with the car loaded with the equivalent weight of two small adults sitting in the car as well as a full tank fuel.

• 1 month later...

So today I removed my RLCAs to replace the bushes, started by removing the spindle with my a home made tool ( old seat leg, some thread bar, washes and nuts ) quick and easy.

1D5FF843-A56A-438C-83D6-D8F28BEA6FDC.jpeg

BD5F5FE5-62AF-4515-AABA-DAFF76701D2E.jpeg

8366D772-1623-4C59-9CB5-1AFE81B99F1B.jpegThen to the brackets closer to the diff, came out easy as well, then up on the bench with the unit I notice the larger bushes weren’t rubber bushes at all.

4A0CD692-A43B-47D6-8095-6CABB880E276.jpeg

0F78CCA7-61CB-4C79-9CDC-E2AE63985551.jpeg

33BA0755-5E00-4640-9F56-0CEE704FA9E6.jpeg

933E558D-5EBF-487F-8EA2-D1DE97B8F32C.jpegTurns out Steven the original builder fitted adjustable bushes 20 years ago and are now worn out, no wonder it sounded like an old red rattler, anyway I fitted the new larger bushes but the smaller items are still in good shape and will be staying in.

How good are these rainy days tinkering in the garage.

Edited by ScottyD

31 minutes ago, ScottyD said:

So today I removed my RLCAs to replace the bushes, started by removing the spindle with my a home made tool ( old seat leg, some thread bar, washes and nuts ) quick and easy.

Seems you got lucky as I read sometimes these can be diabolical to get out!

Your home made SST (special service tool) looks just the thing.

sounded like an old red rattler,

Giving away your age there - when did the last one of those run?

Edited by AndBir

You're oh so very very lucky those spindles came out like that. I had to take a gas torch to the rubber bushings on mine and burn those out as the spindles were seized fast to the inner sleeves. That was 30yrs ago, acting on a mechanic friend's advice I used copper grease when I installed the new ones and they are still free to this day.