240z aircon

Alexr

Hi All,

I recently bought a 240z with a L28 and would like to install aircon. I am looking for any parts to get this done like a compressor bracket, pulley, balancer or any other parts that I will need. I live in Sydney and I’m happy to pick if you don’t want to post it out.

thanks in advance,

Alex

• Administrators
1 hour ago, C.A.F. said:

260Z air conditioning system won't fit into a 240Z without considerable work - you'd have to use a 260Z dash, evaporator assembly and wiring loom.

An easier option would be:

https://www.retrospares.com.au/vintage-air-mini-slimline-under-dash-system-cool-o

Pickup from 9 Silver St Eltham, Vic 3095. Mon-Friday 9am-5pm Sat 10am-1pm.

That's handy, I was gonna say go to Vintage Air

https://www.vintageair.com/

But if they have a local reseller, even better.

Try find an old unica under dash unit... These were fitted back in the 70s I think possibly a dealer option.. This is what I used, this puts the air out the dash vents. There's a good compressor bracket from the USA, the rest is just generic parts, compressor, Condensor, dryer and hoses.. And some basic wiring

I kept all the info of parts used if you need

20141122_182711.jpg

20141127_154628.jpg

20141127_154618.jpg

• Administrators

My 71 240z has a dealer fitted kit. I can take reference photos if it would help? After driving Sydney to Melbourne today in 40+ degree heat. I think aircon is a requirement in Australia now.

The unit in mine looks a bit different to the above, but sits in passenger footwell.

Does the unica unit work well? It would be nice to find one. 

Any photos and parts used will be great if you could post them up. Also if you have any photos of the compressor, belt and crank pulley setup. Im a little confused with what to do at the front of the engine and if I need to change my crank pulley. 

Thanks

My tip is to find a pulley that will work, then find a compressor that is readily available / reasonably priced, then make or get a bracket made to suit all those bits - its probably easier to get a modern compressor and fabricate a bracket than find an original bracket and then have to find a good condition compressor to match the factory bracket. 

The setup I did back in the 90's  with an underdash unit + original pulley + homemade bracket + a custom hose or two + compressor and everything else from a VL commodore worked a treat and was pretty simple to install. Only downside was losing a bit of passenger knee-room

Edited by 1600dave

21 hours ago, Alexr said:

Any photos and parts used will be great if you could post them up. Also if you have any photos of the compressor, belt and crank pulley setup. Im a little confused with what to do at the front of the engine and if I need to change my crank pulley. 

Thanks

Yes it's great, only downside which I'm looking to change is cold air only comes from dash vents and not foot well vent.. Which is just the design of the original heater / fan system. I just need to put a tee piece in somewhere.. 

I'll dig up my folder of info... I spent a lot of time on researching 

On 12/22/2019 at 10:32 AM, Alexr said:

Thanks

Yes it's great, only downside which I'm looking to change is cold air only comes from dash vents and not foot well vent.. Which is just the design of the original heater / fan system. I just need to put a tee piece in somewhere.. 

I'll dig up my folder of info... I spent a lot of time on researching 

20191224_162041.jpg

20191224_162137.jpg

20191224_162232.jpg

20191224_162626.jpg

20191224_162642.jpg

20191224_162648.jpg

20191224_162655.jpg

20191224_163100.jpg

20191224_163000.jpg