Glovebox Inscriptions on S30Z's

gav240z

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 24 Dat said:

i checked my 72 240Z HS30-11509 and it had this inscription (photos attached)

It looks like that car was originally silver from factory 901?

• 3 months later...

Have had the dashboard out of my 240 lately and thought I should get a shot of the inscription on the dash column support before it goes back in the car.

71 model chassis HS 001555, 904 White manual

Would have included the glovebox markings but they are too faint now...

20210304_141538.jpg.c6112bad4f94f32ccfce3cff8059eef2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This is from HS30 10552 my late 71 build (Dec) 240z.

Looks like H <> AST where <> is something blurred / rubbed off?

I'm guessing it's H for HS30 and AST for Australia.

Car was factory 5speed 71a manual.

I was really hoping to see 432-R damn.

IMG20210424105837.jpg

IMG20210424105828.jpg

5 hours ago, gav240z said:

This is from HS30 10552 my late 71 build (Dec) 240z.

Looks like H <> AST where <> is something blurred / rubbed off?

I'm guessing it's H for HS30 and AST for Australia.

Car was factory 5speed 71a manual.

I was really hoping to see 432-R damn.

Faint letter might well be 'Q'...? That would be correct for Aus market car.

For comparison:

Glovebox-base---72-UK-HS30-.jpg

@HS30-H and @gav240z was there any differences between the gauges used in the UK and Australian delivered Zeds? Might explain the inscriptions being so obviously marked.

Also is there any South African members on this forum who might have early Zeds with there glove box inscriptions?   

There would be lots of differences between UK and AUS market models, even if some of them were fairly minor.

Spring and damper rates for the 'proper' UK market cars is a fairly big one, but I don't think the glovebox notations would have dictated/informed production line processes and content. My take on them is that they were more to do with handling/logistics for finished or almost-finished cars rather than specifically dashboard and instrument specs and details. 

For example, factory code for the Fairlady 240ZG models was 'HS30-H' and I've taken the time to look under the dashes of ZGs in Japan whenever I have had the opportunity. All the genuine ones I've seen (spotted the odd 'oh dear me...' too) have 'H - H' under the glovebox, including both of my own 240ZGs. Obviously the first H refers to L24-engined variant, and the second H refers exclusively to ZGs. However, why would a ZG require a different dash notation than an 'HS30-D' coded Fairlady 240Z-L model which might have been right behind it on the production line? As both were Japanese 'Deluxe' content models made at the same time, they would have had IDENTICAL dash instrumentation and controls. Only possible difference would be factory aircon, which was an extra cost showroom ordering option.

So the glovebox notations don't seem - as far as I can see - to have been a part of the *dash* build process...

Edited by HS30-H
sp

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, C.A.F. said:

From the dashboard of HS30-00211:

16219290182047693455234419391220.jpg

I've taken the liberty of turning your image so that the script is the right way up, and adding a phonetic 'translation'.

It's a single Kanji character and - as with almost all of these column support dash scribbles - it doesn't really make much sense on its own. It reads as 'Rui' (pronounced 'Rooey') and normally it would be coupled with another Kanji character in order to mean something more specific. On its own it means something along the lines of 'Sort' or 'Type', but is kind of incomplete. I would suggest it would normally be paired with the Kanji 'Shu' to form the word 'ShuRui', meaning a more specific or ordinal 'Type', but that would be to put words into its mouth.

Like almost all of these we've seen, they obviously meant something only to the people who were writing and reading them, and we civilians were never expected to even see them, let alone understand what they did or didn't mean... 

Rui dash column support.JPG

• Administrators
3 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

From the dashboard of HS30-00211:

Lachlan if you get a chance have a look at #51s dashboard and see what that has?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, C.A.F. said:

You haven't seen where that car is buried in storage!
It'd take me hours to extract it...

Sounds like it's safely tucked away from the world. :D

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, gav240z said:

@HS30-H just found this radio with the markings. Had to take photo on an angle to see it. Very faint. Any idea what it says?

IMG20210621215816.jpg

It says 'Austo' ('Oh Su Toh' = Australia) and what looks like 'vol' on the end.

Australian wavebands version? Automatic Australian Vol Control? (goes up to 11 when The Easybeats and The Hoodoo Gurus come on, but back to 0 for Kylie & Jason?). :)

• Administrators

If only these radios came with a rubbish filter like you describe.

Oh and apparently this radio came out of a Green 71 240z that now lives in the UK. Sold about 10 years ago..wonder if it's a car you're familiar with. Guy I got it from said he couldn't remember VIN# sadly.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

@C.A.R. found this marking on the body shell of a car being restored when removing the rear valance panel. I shared it with @HS30-H who commented:

Oh! That's cool! It says (same as the gloveboxes) 'Oh Su Toh', phonetic (Katakana) for 'Austo' (as in Japanese pronunciation 'Austoralia'...) so the bodyshell must have been designated as an Australian market HS30 from an early point. Nice find!

So looks like there are more stampings / marks to be found on these cars. Which may tell us more about how they were made.

301865390_820177002461850_9088988886503269123_n.jpeg