[eBay] - 1971 Datsun 240z LOW 651 production number , Engine matching , AUST Delivered

gav240z

• Administrators
16 hours ago, cracker said:

I recall this one sticking around on ebay for a while maybe 18 months or so ago and sold for somewhere in the $4k range?

14 hours ago, gav240z said:

Yes quite a bit of rust if I recall..

Found it..

https://www.viczcar.com/forums/topic/17311-cars-for-sale-3rd-party-sites-ebay-carsales-etc/?do=findComment&comment=200514

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, hmd said:

@gav240z You need another one.

Ok you may not need it, but you sure want it ;)

I'm pretty sure I don't need another rust bucket lol..

55 minutes ago, 1600dave said:

"A lot of what you see is virtually superficial surface rust".............

This guy would make Pinocchio blush....

The cheek, taping over the rust.

A bit of rewording for the ad. 'Owned by a panel beater who realised that it was too far gone to restore economically so I bought it looking for a quick buck flip.'

Edited by 260DET

• Administrators
9 hours ago, GregTas said:

Gees you guys are picky. You don't have to repair a lot of that rust. A bonnet, hatch, two guards, doors a couple of sills and bumpers and you'd be ready to make a start on the body resto.

I somewhat agree and most of the above is joking in jest really, but we all know these things rust inside out and plenty of signs that what is on the surface is far worse below it. We also know it's history to some extent is that it sat under a tarp near the Ocean along the South Coast (near Canberra) for quite a while. Which I'm sure did it no favours. I'll merge this thread with the earlier one.

I've set the software up to list each new eBay listing (since I don't always see them all myself) and automatically post them. Which means when sellers relist we get a new post.

14 hours ago, gav240z said:

I somewhat agree and most of the above is joking in jest really, but we all know these things rust inside out and plenty of signs that what is on the surface is far worse below it. We also know it's history to some extent is that it sat under a tarp near the Ocean along the South Coast (near Canberra) for quite a while. Which I'm sure did it no favours. I'll merge this thread with the earlier one.

I've set the software up to list each new eBay listing (since I don't always see them all myself) and automatically post them. Which means when sellers relist we get a new post.

Sorry forgot to put sarcastic emoji at the end of my post.

I agree it does look like a lot of work and cost to get sorted. On initial glance it doesn't look too bad, but in a search for panels over a couple of years for my own car I realised. how hard and costly panels can be. So getting all those panels would be some effort and cost, which makes a car that looks cheap, not so when it all get added up..

Edited by GregTas

On 10/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, CptZa said:

Out of curiosity, if you had to make a wild estimate..how much do you think it will cost to get this on the road. 20k?

I was talking to a restorer I'm working with at the moment regarding this last week. He was suggesting at least over $100K if you're doing it properly.

Yeah, i asked a couple guys locally and labor costs alone would understandably be exorbitant. Probably best i didn't bid even at a winning price of $6600.  My thinking of bringing one in cheap (say 10-15k) to lessen import and customs costs and then spend 25-30k over time doesn't seem ideal. I'll take gav240's advice and save up a bit more..the dream continues!

• Administrators

My general rule of thumb is that each panel on a Z costs about $1000 of labour to treat trust / weld in new metal and remove dents etc..

On a Z you have.

Bonnet

Hatch

2x Doors

2x fenders

1 roof skin

2x rear quarters

So that's $9k there...

Then you have the unibody:

Radiator support $1500

Floor pans $1000 each side.

Rails same time...

Rusty wheel well $500?

Sills $500-$1000 P/side.

Accident damage costs more, more pervasive rust that requires extensive fabrication of non available sections, such as firewalls, windscreen pillars etc.. all add extra..

You can see how $20k evaporates fast. I try and do a lot of work on my own car, but rarely satisfied with the level / quality of it. Materials costs + tuition cost a small fortune on its own.

Buy the most rust free example you can.