rubberman

1980 Fairlady Z 2 seater

Great buy!

I have been after a 2 seater 280ZX for ages.

So lucky I was away on holidays and not aware of this auction happening!

Looks to be a series 1(as the year suggests), but has series 2 tail lights. 

If ever you decide to sell.......

cursing i never knew about this. Love the 2 seater.

i had one years ago!

Great car.

compliance plate is obviously from a local car

In fairness never heard of Burns and Co, seems more and more of these private auction houses are auctioning off these cars.

Perhaps we should compile a list of all these sites to check in on from time to time?

By the way is it a 2.0ltr or 2.8ltr? Looks like a Japanese market car.

8 hours ago, Mr Camouflage said:

Yeah, obviously, but why? Seems dodgy.

The chassis number would have to match, not too hard to work out ;)

All two seaters were imports of course and can be registered without a compliance plate providing the required procedure is completed. I imported mine about 10 years ago.

9 hours ago, Mr Camouflage said:

Yeah, obviously, but why? Seems dodgy.

the fact it reads Nissan Motor Co (Australia)

and as others have said the 2 seater was never imported here.

regardless, if the car is or has been registered here, shouldn't have a problem for a 40 year old car.

mine din't have any compliance plates

On 9/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, gav240z said:

In fairness never heard of Burns and Co, seems more and more of these private auction houses are auctioning off these cars.

Perhaps we should compile a list of all these sites to check in on from time to time?

By the way is it a 2.0ltr or 2.8ltr? Looks like a Japanese market car.

It’s got a L20E in it at the moment, though that may change as I have access to a L28ET.

Yes L28ET is the way to go with these, especially given modern engine management tech and fast spool turbos. Should be quite fun!

even a warmed up N/A L28 goes well. When I rebuilt the L28 in mine 65mm throttle body, coil packs,EMS ECU, Crow Cam, port and polish, extractors and 2.5" system produced 185kw (250bhp), super reliable, never missed a beat, daily driver for 5 years at 16 litres/100km....Lol

24 minutes ago, EJ101 said:

even a warmed up N/A L28 goes well. When I rebuilt the L28 in mine 65mm throttle body, coil packs,EMS ECU, Crow Cam, port and polish, extractors and 2.5" system produced 185kw (250bhp), super reliable, never missed a beat, daily driver for 5 years at 16 litres/100km....Lol

Not to mention the great sound the N/A L28 makes!

Unfortunately I may have to flip this baby as there is no way it will get thru inspection here in Adelaide with that compliance plate. Could try in another state but it won’t fly here.

Options are to keep it and turn it into a track car but was really hoping to turn it into a father son project for my lads first car. 

Open to offers if someone wants to have a try at getting it registered or I may throw it back to auction. It’s a shame as it’s a great little car.

E2EE55BD-C13E-4894-ADC8-E4B5865C2739.jpeg

If the chassis number on the plate matches the number on the chassis, whats's the problem? If it doesn't then surely there is a procedure that can be used.

Number on the firewall matches the tag, problem is they do a full inspection here and it reads seats 4 so will raise eyebrows.

Been told it shouldn’t be a problem in ACT, WA or Tas but they may seize it here, not keen on that at all.

Mine was registered in Q as a 2+2 apparently because there was no two seater listed on their data base.

Good to know, it was last registered in 2001 in ACT, so someone has had luck with it before. Insurance is the same, just had to note it on the policy.

4 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Bit of a shame for you... rare car.

Yeah big shame Gav,  I have plenty of cars just no Datsun at the moment. Hoping it gets on the road soon.

Damn that's cheap... had this been a year ago I probably would have gone this way rather than my 240z and had quite a bit more spare change in my pocket...