HICAS Gremlins

Zorro

Seeing the emphasis in most of the forums is on intense mechanical themes - I'd better move with the flow . The 300ZX Z32 twin turbo has 4 wheel steering as part of its specs (known as HICAS). There are two sensors to monitor this system - one is behind the speedo and one in the bowels of the undercarriage near the gearbox. As the car comes into a corner the HICAS system monitors the speed (speedo sensor) and uses this to create a better turning angle by turning the rear wheels to an appropriate angle to enhance the cornering ability. However, as I have discovered - if any of these two sensors "go on strike" - one is immediately confronted with a big orange light on the dashboard and the speedo stops working. After pulling the speedo apart - it was found that it was the sensor "down under" and not the speedo sensor that was the culprit. Pricing on E Bay at the time for the sensor was north of $750 . Incredibly, it was less than half the price to get it from America - even factoring in the exchange rate and postage. After replacement , the orange light has disappeared and the 320kms/hr speedo is smiling again. Interestingly enough , on another topic - I had the wick turned up on the turbos to over 300kws , but later noticed a number of You Tube videos where 300ZX twin turbos ( purporting to be stock) were recorded doing in excess of 300kms/hr. ? maybe I should have saved my money.

When I think about it - the chip was replaced on my 300ZX TT when they boosted the turbos. This chip is piggy backed onto the normal chip - which still allows the normal functions - but enhances the overall performance parameters . The top speed is normally regulated to 255kms/hr with the regular chip . I suppose it is possible to use the stock engine with a non-regulated (non standard) chip to get a substantially higher top speed ( at the risk of course of damaging the engine at higher speeds). 

Further comment:  It is worthwhile considering a brake upgrade for the TT if you wish to let it all hang out. My daughter ( driving the 300ZX TT) ran up the back of my near new 370Z on her first run - as the brakes ( although state of the art in the ninetees ) need a decent shove to operate. Fortunately , only damage was to pride.

I am Secretary of the Z Car Club of Sydney where we welcome all Z car owners . I had no idea that this club was so exclusive. There are members of the Sydney Z Car Club who also don't own early Zeds - I'd better warn them.

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

I am Secretary of the Z Car Club of Sydney where we welcome all Z car owners . I had no idea that this club was so exclusive. There are members of the Sydney Z Car Club who also don't own early Zeds - I'd better warn them.

It's not about being exclusive - rather keeping the content specific to the purpose of the forum, which is for 240z/260z/280z/zx vehicles :) 

• Administrators

Also I moved this to the "off topic" section rather than the NSW events sections. Since it was showing on the homepage as part of our upcoming events. :).

We do discuss all classic / vintage cars, Japanese, Nissans/Datsuns. I've even been known to post an early rotary or 2 also, but generally we have always been about the early S30Z's at least when we started. Then 280zx owners joined up and ruined the vibe of the thing, but we're ok with that. ;).

We've debated catering to later Z's in the past. Generally the consensus is that people thought https://www.aus300zx.com/ already existed for that and thought it best not to step on toes.

And obviously no forums for Z cars less than 40years old . It's ironic that the membership form doesn't even ask for the type of vehicle or any vehicle details for that matter

. I've been referring potential members to the Auzcar Club with later model Zs for some time now - obviously not much point.

• Administrators

For a while I was trying to get www.vintagejdm.com off the ground, as it was to cater to all vintage/classic Japanese cars, but I was too time poor to really put the necessary time into it and it's stagnated for a while now. I am hoping if I can get this site working better (and reduce the hosting costs), I can dedicate some resources and time towards that site and building it up to become a place for all 25+ year old Japanese cars.

Since I also own an FD RX-7 and Nissan Stagea 260rs :). I'm sure many members here have had experience with later Zs, Skylines etc.. too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...