The official viczcar cycling thread

KatoKid

Went for my first roll yesterday on the CX  in a few months, heaps of people on the yarra trails, I don't know if its just me but it looks like everyone is eyeballing each other, ready to call the corona cops if your having too much fun.

Sucks the spring classics are off, probably my favourite racing of the year.

• 10 months later...

I did the Lake Mountain Cascades trail 2 weeks ago.  Got the shuttle to the chalet and was expecting a cruisey 2hr trip down the mountain with the Marysville bakery for lunch. How wrong I was.  I was so under prepared.  Had 1 bidon of water and no food.    I found it Super technical (for someone of my ability).  Got back down to Marysville around 4 and a half hours later absolutely spent.  Couple of pints at the Duck inn helped immensely.

Sounds like a great adventure Bruce. I'm enjoying a beer now after a swim.

I felt like a lemming going down hill today as I was riding with my son. He is a very accomplished rider having competed nationally over many years at DH and 4X. I took the role of a pace car on a few occasions. I gave up after 7 lift rides and almost 50K of riding. At 2:30 legs were good but the arms and shoulders were spent. I was worried about having enough strength to keep going and didn't feel like testing it. Hoping to get back up in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

@BruceYes Cascades is not to be taken lightly. I've not done it but quite a few mates have and they all commented how technical it was.

@CBR JeffGravity/Enduro has really taken off. Its really captured the imagination of the younger kids and has dragged their fathers into as a consequence. Has become a real family thing which is great. But don't overstep the mark, its easy to get carried away watching the young and fearless !

14 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

At 2:30 legs were good but the arms and shoulders were spent

@CBR Jeffit is surprising how much upper body you use.  

I fitted a droper post to my bike which I tried out at Lysterfield this morning, seemed to do the trick on some descents however I am still not instinctively using it which hopefully will come with practice.

To true Dave. 
I was riding a few weeks ago watching some young kids doing some jumps and talking to their dad. He made a comment about trying the jumps to me. I laughed and said if they crash it’s 6 weeks on the couch playing PlayStation. If we crash it’s 6 months or longer of pain and anguish. 
Enduro has gone crazy over the last few years. Our local club races are caped at 200 entries as that’s all the timing chips that we have. Every race is sold out. But in saying that MTB in general is on a big wave at the moment. Just try to purchase a bike and you will soon find out how popular it is. It’s almost impossible to get a bike at the moment with delivery dates blowing out to 6 plus months. 

Jeff

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

@CBR Jeffit is surprising how much upper body you use.  

I fitted a droper post to my bike which I tried out at Lysterfield this morning, seemed to do the trick on some descents however I am still not instinctively using it which hopefully will come with practice.

A dropper post is a must Bruce. I am constantly adjusting my seat hight. 29” wheels, slack head angle and long wheel base also go along way to making going down hill enjoyable and most modems sleds climb with little effort. 

Jeff

Wow just fell across this forum, had no idea you Guys were into MTBs. I've been riding dirt for almost 20 years, Lysterfield mostly, 3 or 4 times a week. Have a 2020 Reign Advanced which I love. I ride most Friday, Sat & Sun mornings at Lysty (except when Sat school sport is on).

Yell out if you ever want to hook up for a ride.

1 hour ago, CBR Jeff said:

Anyone going to Nat Champs next week at Maydena? race, watch, help?

I am heading down for the week as part of the officials team. It should be a good week.

Jeff

Keep an eye out for the Duke Flanders MTB team, my old CX team. My mate owns it and hes got some good young guns coming through.

22 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

Anyone going to Nat Champs next week at Maydena? race, watch, help?

I am heading down for the week as part of the officials team. It should be a good week.

Jeff

I wish!!!

My son and I had a ball at the Willo on Sunday - great atmosphere as usual! My son got 1st place in his category, and I got leg cramps on my second lap! Clearly I’ve been spending too much time cutting rust out of Datsun’s and not enough time flushing rust out of my own pipes!!

On 3/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, CBR Jeff said:

its guna be fast and fun

Jeff

Got a few mates from my Tuesday night ride group down there. That's some sweet Tassie dirt there!

On 3/1/2021 at 5:42 PM, mossy said:

Keep an eye out for the Duke Flanders MTB team, my old CX team. My mate owns it and hes got some good young guns coming through.

Duke Flanders finished 2nd in the teams race yesterday evening. 
Jeff

5EB10A3B-B93A-45B7-BB93-ACAD7A4F77DC.png

Zoe Cuthburt racing the women’s XCO race yesterday doubling a gap jump riding to second. She can ride Zoe also raced to second in pump track on Friday night. Photo from AusCycling media (thanks Jo)

Jeff

460B9CA0-E80D-4ADF-B9B1-C7C4E4FF525D.jpeg

On 3/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, KatoKid said:

Got a few mates from my Tuesday night ride group down there. That's some sweet Tassie dirt there!

One of the young guys from our Tuesday night group took out the U17 XCO......one to watch for sure

Jack.png

After a big week a very big after partly last night it’s a dusty morning. Looking forward to getting home tonight and a sleep in my own bed. Some great racing in XCO XCC Pump track and DH over the last few days. 
Troy Brosnan and Sian A’Hern showed how it was done on the DH yesterday both with smoking runs.

Jeff

On 3/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, CBR Jeff said:

After a big week a very big after partly last night it’s a dusty morning. Looking forward to getting home tonight and a sleep in my own bed. Some great racing in XCO XCC Pump track and DH over the last few days. 
Troy Brosnan and Sian A’Hern showed how it was done on the DH yesterday both with smoking runs.

Jeff

Looked like a great weekend, Jeff. I, on the other hand, was down your way over the weekend enjoying East Kowen and helping my brother render his house.

east_kowen.thumb.jpg.b220d4f46c372a6a2514ed344cc1aadf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...