The official viczcar cycling thread

KatoKid

Troy and Kye (CBR boy) had great results in the DH. Young Canberra lad and Datsun driver Jackson Frew had his best result of the season finishing 3oth and 3rd Aussie home. Props to all the Australian team with some great results in the Jr XC ranks.

Jeff

Bec had another good result on the weekend at snowshoe, 4th.

Its been a good season for her. She has secured one womans place for Australia in Tokyo. See if we can get a male place before the cut off early next year.

Tracy getting the DH overall is excelent.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

• 2 months later...

Some of you may recall I bought a Canyon Spectral back in August, this was specifically for Derby.....got back a couple of weeks ago and have to say that everything that you read about Derby is true......its heaven on a MTB stick!

Had 6 days there and started out on the easier blue trails and then did Blue Tier and Atlas and then spent the last few  days on black and double black which I never thought I would do. Riding with some really capable and skilled guys really pushed me out of my comfort zone as I have never done any gravity stuff before but the bike was awesome and the more I rode the more confident I became. By the last couple of days I was "comfortable" enough to be able to enjoy tracks like Trouty, Roxanne and Kumma Gutza . Favorite just fun trails were Air ya goin (just an absolute riot) , Flickety Sticks and Return to Sender.

If you're into MTB Derby is a much do! If you want any advice or suggestions let me know.

Pic of the gang.....

IMG_4501.thumb.JPG.25749965de9a6a5ddeb1d2590f10c6fb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Lads Happy New Year to all

I wanted to see if I could get some advice on purchasing a MTbike. I have been at my local Trek bike shop and have been looking at two different bikes. I initally had my eyes set on a Marlin 7 but after looking at a couple of other bikes Im also considering the X-Caliber 8 a bigger price difference at $1499 from the Marlin 7 $800 or so. 

Im heading to the bike shop again today to have another look but would live to hear your feedback. This will be my first bike in a few years to get me back into things

Cheers 

Youhan

Youhan 

They and both similar bikes,  29” hard tails. Neither are a bikes I would ride as I’m into longer travel and slacker angles. Both would be capable entry level XC bikes. With these bikes as with most bike models the more you pay the more you get. Advice I give to most people who are purchasing bikes is to get the one that suits your needs and pay as much as you can afford because the better equiped bike will be better to ride and last longer. 

Jeff

58 minutes ago, CBR Jeff said:

Youhan 

They and both similar bikes,  29” hard tails. Neither are a bikes I would ride as I’m into longer travel and slacker angles. Both would be capable entry level XC bikes. With these bikes as with most bike models the more you pay the more you get. Advice I give to most people who are purchasing bikes is to get the one that suits your needs and pay as much as you can afford because the better equiped bike will be better to ride and last longer. 

Jeff

Hi Jeff 

Thanks for your reply 

Yes I agree, I wont be doing any hardcore tracks or long distance courses I don't think the X-Caliber 8 wont suit my needs, the guy at the shop said the same thing. I think as I get more experience and want to excel in XC or Enduro will consider an upgrade 

The Marlin 7 is $899 plus on dirt/road costs such as bottle holder, wider saddle for those cheeks, bottle mount, stand and minus Bupa 10% setting me back just over $920 which is no too bad for s decent bike. I think I will shop around for other accessories for when I need them but I did forget the bell, dammit!

Choice depends on if you think MTB riding is something you will really get into. Mossy gave me some great advice when I was first looking.

Its a balance between what you need and what would be nice to have. Hardtail 29er for sure and spend as much as you can afford. As you've pointed out, the Marlin is a good basic bike but you will be disappointed with it if you do more regular ridding. The X-Caliber 8 is more that you need now but will be a much better deal overall if you get into the sport.

Jump on to bike exchange https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/hardtail-mountain-bikes?option-value-ids=4005-4015 plenty of good deals on last years models etc. and don't limit yourself to any particular brand as all the big names produce pretty good stuff.

There are plenty of Facebook MTB buy sway sell pages as well were you can get really good deals. I've bought 2 bikes this way.

Post up any options you are looking at if you want advice.

@CBR Jeff Thanks Jeff I will definitely hit them up for a bell and If they decline I will threaten them woth fair training lol. 

@KatoKid Hey Dave thanks heaps I will definitely check out the link and FB pages. Yeah your right about the X- Caliber 8 it is a much better optioned bike. I feel if I was to keep the Marlin 7 I would need to do the upgrade down the track or if worth it upgrade parts on the Marlin 7. 

Even though you are right I dont want to make the jump for now to the X-Caliber 8, Lets see how I go with getting back into riding and enjoying the sport again. I might even find a good deal within the FB pages. 

Cheers Youhan

• 3 months later...

So as much as Covid-19 sucks it means I can't travel for work so riding pretty much every day and the fitness level is getting back to where I was 3 years ago. That's the good. The bad is that all the Spring classics are cancelled and I cant see TDF happening irrespective of what the organizers are saying :'(.

Everyone seems to be out exercising which is a good thing. Dandenong's were full of bikes today, easily more bikes than cars!

How is everyone going, getting some good riding in?