Slow post time?

• Administrators
4 hours ago, KatoKid said:

Whatever you've done Gav its 100 times better!

Thanks!

Thanks, but it's still too slow for my liking.

• Administrators

Hey guys,

Just an update here:

1. We ran some scans to make sure there was no remaining nefarious scripts on the server causing issues or slowing things down. All clear.

2. Upgraded to PHP v7.3.

3. Enabled PHP-FPM support which appears to be a quicker Engine for PHP scripts to run on.

4. I've enabled some software Caching which should allow for faster response of common requests.

There is some further tweaks I could look at to improve performance further. (not yet enabled)

1. Enable LiteSpeed, but this has a licensing cost of $20 extra p/month on top of existing plan (which is around $170 USD p/month) - not cheap.

2. Look at utilising AWS (Amazon) as a CDN (Content Delivery Network) - basically this means static files like images etc.. will be served from a server nearby (based in Australia) and should reduce lag times, it may also increase storage capacity for images/attachments. I just have to look at current bandwidth usage and storage to compare costs. But I've been thinking about this for a while now since native storage on the existing host is relatively expensive.

3. Could move hosting companies to Google Cloud, Amazon or Invision Powers native hosted plans.

I need to do a cost / benefit analysis on the last 3 points to see if it's worth pursuing.

So for now, I'd like to request feedback on performance here over the next week or so? If you notice things are a lot better and responsive etc..? Any particular times of day it's slow etc..?

Gav im noticing alot of dead links straight from Google. 

Also links/tabs ive had ooen for days and weeks, when refreshed come up broken. 

Not sure if coincidence or not with above, ill let you know if i keep seeing this happen. 

Quite often I'll have many tabs Open in Google Chrome on my phone and when I return to them, just of late I've noticed when refreshed or reopened it appears to be a broken. Nat0

• Administrators

Hi Nat0,

I had to move the forum software from /forum to the root directory when I retired the old front page.

I believe many of the previous links were of the format: forum/forums/

If you remove the /forum part so it's just /forums/ it should load those pages for you, but if not please copy / paste the tabs here.

Google should reindex the site over time and fix the broken links, but I may set up a redirect to handle it.

Right now the only redirect I have is from /forum/ requests to go to /forums/

I will need to check the server error logs to see how often old URLs are being accessed.

I know it's a pain, hence why I put this off for ages, but after everything slowed down I realised I couldn't postpone things any longer.

• Administrators

Although the website appears to be responding faster, I noticed caching was no longer correctly configured (post server updates). I'm hoping to resolve this soon and hope to have improved performance. I have noticed certain actions take longer to respond (unread content links) and posting new posts/replies. But general page navigation seems quick.

I will also look into Amazon (AWS) as a CDN which may allow me to free up space allocation for uploads etc..

• Administrators

Made some minor changes this evening, which appear to have sped things up a little. Interested to see if others feel there is a difference?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, gav240z said:

Made some minor changes this evening, which appear to have sped things up a little. Interested to see if others feel there is a difference?

And made further changes again, which I think has improved response times a little more again. Certainly seems faster to navigate between pages.

• Administrators

Some actual data that shows solid improvements. This is comparing from June - August (Before) with last 2 weeks (late July early August 2019). Average load time has been cut in half and server response times are much faster.

However you can see response times vary a lot on region, the site is hosted in the US, so probably doesn't help. Hence why I was looking at Cloud based hosting (locally hosted) and distributed CDN (content delivery network). Which could potentially cut it in half again or shave a few more seconds off response time.

The data in these reports is heavily sampled so could be quite skewed. But it at least points to improvement.

before-timings.jpg

after-timings.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hmm noticed it a bit slow again this evening. Noticed a new software update is available, not sure why a slightly out of dat version would cause such slowdowns however. Odd..