Slow post time?

• Administrators

Hey Folks,

I noticed that when I submit a reply or submit a new topic it takes more than a few seconds before the server responds and the reply appears on the thread. I've noticed the same from Desktop and Mobile.

Just wondering if others are seeing the same issue?

I'm thinking the recent database server crash may have something to do with it. Hence if others are seeing it consistently I'll look into it further.

Thanks,
Gavin

• Administrators

The software is out of date, so I think I'll try update it and hope that fixes it.

But I suspect it's SQL server timeouts.

the whole site has been frustratingly slow on my pc  for ages can take up to 30 seconds just for the site to start working, if I try to go back to a post I was previously on, well, just forget it most times

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Linton said:

the whole site has been frustratingly slow on my pc  for ages can take up to 30 seconds just for the site to start working, if I try to go back to a post I was previously on, well, just forget it most times

18 hours ago, C.A.F. said:

Just noticed it then - very slow to add the post.

So I think it may be anti spam countermeasures. But certainly would be a good idea to upgrade the forum software also as a starting point.

15 hours ago, KatoKid said:

Yep, same for me.

Has been very slow to load any pages for quite a while now.

Hmmmm this sounds more like DNS lookup issues or perhaps the site is on some kind of block list or some of the scripts are being blocked.

What web browsers are you guys using? Are you using any ad blockers or similar?

3 hours ago, peter t said:

Works quite quick for me.

It should, the slowness to post is new for me. It's not consistently doing it either.

• Administrators

Spoke to hosting company, they agree with my plan to run backup and then upgrade forum software and hosting software switch from PHP version 5 to 7.

Homepage software is dependent on PHP V5 but it's time to deprecate that and retire it, just been putting it off since it quite a bit of work involved.

Months for me too. 

I work off a company PC which has pretty serious protection, use Chrome but this is the only website that is really slow to load any pages.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Linton said:

months for me I use firefox

34 minutes ago, KatoKid said:

Months for me too. 

I work off a company PC which has pretty serious protection, use Chrome but this is the only website that is really slow to load any pages.

I've noticed my own IP address has been blocked in the past. It has some aggressive anti spammer/bot filters that sometimes get triggered.

I've just upgraded the software now and it seems to be running ok. I've had to disable the homepage as it won't run on the newest version of PHP. So I'm going to be doing some moving about of stuff..

• Administrators

Just ran some updates, the index needs to be rebuilt, along with the cache. I discovered a security vulnerability which rewrote a core system file. Looks like some script kiddy may have exploited an old version of Wordpress sitting on the server and set up some rewrite rules which were slowing the site down. Seems a lot faster now I've removed all that junk in there (which was likely sending things into a loop).

Wonder how you're going with it all now?

21 hours ago, gav240z said:

Spoke to hosting company, they agree with my plan to run backup and then upgrade forum software and hosting software switch from PHP version 5 to 7.

Homepage software is dependent on PHP V5 but it's time to deprecate that and retire it, just been putting it off since it quite a bit of work involved.

Try going straight to PHP 7.3 if possible, 7.1/.2/.3 each have a pretty worthwhile performance boost over the previous.

Are you going to be moving the homepage into the Invision CMS?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, brent012 said:

Try going straight to PHP 7.3 if possible, 7.1/.2/.3 each have a pretty worthwhile performance boost over the previous.

Are you going to be moving the homepage into the Invision CMS?

Yes I think I'll move to Invision's own hosting. The whole site is now Invision Suite powered. But I have to learn how to use it to customise the homepage etc.. no time to learn like the present haha.

• Administrators

Hmmm just noticed a really long delay in post time again.. Seems there is still some kind of underlying problems.