Ichigo280z

Lowering Springs Help

Just need some help identifying which lowering springs go in the front and which in the rear.

I purchased a set of King Springs (lowered) second hand for a 260Z and unfortunately the part numbers had rubbed off. Since then I have powder coated red.

There are 3 pictures for comparison.

The yellow set are King Springs which I was trying to compare them to (pic found online).

The first red set are Tokico (denoted by F for Front and R for Rear) (pic also fpubd online)

The second red set with no numbers are mine. Which I cannot identify which go where. You will notice that one set have an extra two coils. Both sit into the seat of the strut nicely. The yellow King Springs show one set are longer than the other which mine are not.

Any advice would be helpful.

Telling me that I should have test fitted them prior to powdercoating or that I shouldnt have trusted the seller is not helpful, haha!

post-100549-0-90437400-1518690599.jpg

20190710_144940.jpg

20190710_065716.jpg

Copy paste from something I wrote a while ago.

Standard S30 springs info varies but for my 1970 factory specs were:

• Front RH at 386mm free length with a spring rate of 83lb
  • Front LH at 373mm free length with a spring rate of 83lb
  • Rear 381mm free length with a spring rate of 104lb

King Springs standard replacements for the 240Z are:

• Front – KDFS-08 at 295mm free length with a spring rate of 185lb
  • Rear – KDRS-09 at 315mm free length with a spring rate of 175lb

King Springs lowering springs (30mm lower):

• Front – KDFL-08 265mm free length with a spring rate of 185lb
  • Rear – KDRL-09 285mm free length with a spring rate of 175lb

As above post.

If you find that a pair of springs are of slightly different lengths then the longer one of the two obviously goes on the driver's side. Some Kings Springs are labelled RH / LH.

The issue here is that I was sold the standard height as they match to George's description. Not the lowered which is why they look different. Never trust Gumtree sellers. :(

I thought the KDFL-08 (which lowered the front 30mm) actually had a free length 305mm but progressive 100-170lbs hence even though they are a longer free length the car sits lower than standard springs

FWIW, a problem which I found with my 260Z 2-seat when trying King's springs is that the 'lowered' version while 30mm shorter and stiffer were also too short for spring capture. At the fronts they were too short by about 10mm, the backs only just touched and that's only because I think they are actually 2+2 springs which have longer struts.

Without complementary shorter shock inserts, the 'lowered' springs actually raised my car's ride height above what the original old springs with half a coil trimmed off sit the car at. To date I haven't bothered with the exercise any further.

Best thing is to simply test fit what you have and see what ride height you end up with and take it from there.