Quick trip to the grampians

Linton

So after installing the power steering from Justin he asked me to try it out  and report so I Decided to do a quick trip to the Grampians. Got to say no more need to do arm exercises although it is very direct, as in no centre free play where you move the wheel it goes, takes a bit of getting used to.

20190316_165849.jpg

Hi Linton, 

I'm glad you got over there safely and I bet you have had a few looks towing your camper trailer, well I take it's yours in the picture behind the zed. Car looks great by the way.

Yes I agree and going from heavy steering to electric power assist does take a bit of getting use to. In my orange 260 I run a fair bit of caster and it was very harsh on straightening up out of corners etc. It was two hands on the wheel on any corner but now since i did my first column for it, its a one hand operation if you want and to be able to change gears any time especially on windy roads is much nicer. I also found that 95% of my tracking disappeared and i wasnt fighting with it on uneven road surfaces.

Have a great trip, stay safe and I hope it doesn't take too much to get use to and it works well for you and I'll chat to you more when you get back and see how it all went. 

Cheers, 

Justin 

On 3/20/2019 at 9:38 AM, 600Z said:

That would be interesting behind the bike at times I bet 

the trailer or the boss !! ;D;D it was interesting when we fell off at eagle hawk nest, my fault of course, bike wheels went under the steel guard rail  smashed the shit out of the bike, it was a great holiday though love Tassie. She don't ride on the back any more that's her 1250 in the background..pm me your address mate please to return the column. thanks

Wow! Towing a camper trailer behind a motorcycle!

How much do they each weigh?

do bikes have a legal max towing capacity like cars?

great news about the column, sounds like a very comfy cruiser. 

well technically any motorcycle is not rated/designed to tow a trailer, therefore there is no max towing capacity, however, it is an accepted practice and if your bike can pull it then go for it. I have fitted hydraulic over ride brakes to help with emergency stopping.

My Beemer is 378kg with fuel before I put luggage in it and sit on the bugger so 2 up about 500kg loaded. the camper is 160kg before loaded as you see it in the photo above so all up about 7-900kg fully loaded with a passenger.

Wow!

i have just upgraded the suspension on my landcruiser, in part to increase the GVM. I’ve never had to think about it before but we are about to embark on a “lap” of the country so are getting things organised.

what I’ve learnt from the process is that a standard  cruiser has very little carrying capacity.

standard GVM is 3300kg

My cars official weigh bridge ticket weight 2775kg (no bull bar, roof racks, 3rd row seats or spare tyre)

this leaves just 525kg’s for all your goodies like, bull bar, winch, racks, spare tyres, rear drawers, passengers, luggage and caravan draw bar mass and everything else  

the increased GVM is 3850 so I will have a little more capacity but probably still over. 

Crazy to think your fully loaded weight is more than double your bike mass where legally, I can only add a little over 30% after a GVM upgrade.