Knock in suspension in one corner

andyk_79

My right rear suspension knocks whenever there is a bump or similar.  Interestingly it is also the only corner of the car where my tyres scrub around corners (when turning a hard left).  The knock has been there since I got the car on the road and I haven't thought too much about it but thought it might be time to address it.

Suspensions is standard struts, King Spring Lows and Koni reds.  I am thinking that maybe the shock in that corner I inadvertantly twisted and softened the setting (think for memory the reds had 4 stages of adjustment ?), or that the shock needs replacing altogether.

I know I should have the inner guards rolled with the 15 x 8 +0 wheels I have now to reduce the scrubbing risk, but want to fix the knock first so that at least it is not scrubbing at medium speeds.

Am I thinking along the right lines or is a knocking noise indicative of something completely different ?

Because you've said the knock is over bumps, I'll assume it is NOT going on or off throttle, which probably rules out diff/half shafts/uni joints/stub axles.

I'd suggest your gland nut may have come loose on the top of the strut - I had the same issue a few years ago on an old zed - dropped the suspension out, tightened up again and away I went, sans clunk!

Good luck

• 1 year later...

I had clunking noise rear left when going in and out of the drive over the gutter. Just fitted new shocks and standard springs. Clunk gone. Might have had something to do with lowered springs and konie reds. The bump stops were shagged.