Roady

New Koni for 240z/260z & 280zx

Interesting...

Top Performance Koni in Vermont advised Les Collins (who then told me) that the Yellow Sports are no longer available for the 300ZX which we use in our early Zeds,
and have been replaced with a 'Sport Gas' cartridge instead. Not inferior - just different. 

The description is lacking in that article about weather the cartridge is designed for standard height Z or a lowered Z - this make a massive difference
depending on what you are trying to achieve...
I'd want some more information before making a purchase.

I agree.  thezstore website has them listed as “new shocks” coming soon.  No further details yet, I’ve sent an email to see if they can add anything else to the equation

You can Mossy.

z store response is, that they cannot add any more information except to say they will be coming soon.  The staff will know when the customers know.

You can buy them locally.

I was researching in the last fortnight any and all struts from Koni to see if any were more suitable than the 1060 but they are the pick of the bunch by far for closest body length with good travel etc.

I actually bought a set of 4 and then by some fluke have ended up buying a car with them already installed (unexpectedly!). The brand new in box set of 4 will go up for sale shortly, or drop me a message if you want details.

When asked about whether it they were designed for a lowered car I was given a highlighted passage of the article above - stating it’s designed for road cars through to track cars.  I explained that many people section their struts to give the shock more clearance.

So reading between the lines, I would say this means they are designed for unmodified struts.  Therefore couldn’t fit into sectioned struts.  I’d presume you could using lowering springs etc and have limited shock movement like today without sectioned struts.

Thanks George.

So they are not suitable if you are going to lower your S30 from standard ride height...

Well, you could hack the tophats to get a bit of low and use lowering springs if you don't mind reduced travel and unseated springs (can be wired I know) every time you jack it up.

I'm going rock 4WD mode for now and try to steer clear of the fitment police. Won't be an internet hero car. Not sure how I'll live with myself. 

Thanks for the pics George, nice to see some more parts arriving.

those instructions are clear as mud, you should have no problems. Haha!

On 3/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, George said:

Well, you could hack the tophats to get a bit of low and use lowering springs if you don't mind reduced travel and unseated springs (can be wired I know) every time you jack it up.

I'm going rock 4WD mode for now and try to steer clear of the fitment police. Won't be an internet hero car. Not sure how I'll live with myself. 

Hi George, 

Apologies, this may come thru twice? 

I've just sent a mail to The Z Store asking them to confirm these are still available as only today I was told Koni no longer an insert for the rear struts on a 240Z. 

Was wondering what springs you matched these with? 

Many thanks 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:23 PM, TDoherty said:

Hi George, 

Apologies, this may come thru twice? 

I've just sent a mail to The Z Store asking them to confirm these are still available as only today I was told Koni no longer an insert for the rear struts on a 240Z. 

Was wondering what springs you matched these with? 

Many thanks 

Sorry for the late reply.

You probably received an email already from the Z Store advising you they are available. The new batch of Koni inserts are exclusively sold through the Z Store. Not sure who told you the rears are not available but any local dealer would not have access to these. This might change in the future but as far as I understand it the Z Store developed these in conjunction with Koni and there is an agreement in place for exclusive distribution.

There are workarounds to use alternate Koni inserts if you want to use spacers. I priced both options and buying from the Z Store was slightly cheaper and the product is a perfect fit for standard strut tubes. It was a no brainer for me.

I'm using standard King springs:

• Front – KDFS-08 at 295mm free length with a spring rate of 185lb
  • Rear – KDRS-09 at 315mm free length with a spring rate of 175lb

How well they're matched only time will tell.

4 hours ago, George said:

Sorry for the late reply.

You probably received an email already from the Z Store advising you they are available. The new batch of Koni inserts are exclusively sold through the Z Store. Not sure who told you the rears are not available but any local dealer would not have access to these. This might change in the future but as far as I understand it the Z Store developed these in conjunction with Koni and there is an agreement in place for exclusive distribution.

There are workarounds to use alternate Koni inserts if you want to use spacers. I priced both options and buying from the Z Store was slightly cheaper and the product is a perfect fit for standard strut tubes. It was a no brainer for me.

I'm using standard King springs:

• Front – KDFS-08 at 295mm free length with a spring rate of 185lb
  • Rear – KDRS-09 at 315mm free length with a spring rate of 175lb

How well they're matched only time will tell.

Many thanks for your reply George! 

Yes, I had already received a reply and have now placed my order! 

I'm thinking the same or maybethe lower spring, need to do some further investigations. 

Cheers 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:11 PM, C.A.F. said:

Thanks George.

So they are not suitable if you are going to lower your S30 from standard ride height...

2 hours ago, 260z blues said:

So im in the market for springs and shocks for my 260

What was the verdict on these?

Do they suit lowered aplications?

Cheers.

Money well and truly spent! I installed the Koni's and lowered King Springs, very happy with the look and handling improvement! 

13 hours ago, TDoherty said:

Money well and truly spent! I installed the Koni's and lowered King Springs, very happy with the look and handling improvement! 

Any pics to show the ride height? 

So which King springs did you end up using if you don't mind me asking? Your ride height looks perfect to me.

16 hours ago, gilltech said:

So which King springs did you end up using if you don't mind me asking? Your ride height looks perfect to me.

No problems! 

KDRL-09 (RL= Rear lowered) 

KDFL-08 (FL= Front lowered) 

As they had to be manufactured delivery was 6wks!

Cheers