240z front radiator support

Devil zed

Sounds like the guy on eBay is hand-fabricating the radiator panel in 3 sections from his description, with just one side advertised at present. If yours is so completely stuffed it really can't be repaired then it could be worth contacting him, as I think your chances of getting a decent non-rusty 2nd hand one removed (ie. ideally with all the spot welds drilled out) from a shell let alone a NOS panel are pretty low. More likely you'd have to buy a whole nose cut to get it and then remove it yourself and that's if you can even find one, after all it's the front end of the car that is most often smashed up and with Z values climbing steadily there aren't too many cars being parted out.

If you post some photos of your panel you should get some useful advice as to how it could perhaps be repaired, plenty of other Z owners would have had to deal with the same issue.

Edited by gilltech

G'day gilly, 

The bloke with the evay ad is the same gentleman currently doing rust repairs on my z. The 1973 front radiator support is different to the 260z one which he makes. 

I have contacted Rob in Melbourne and will upload some photos this arvo when my mechanic gets it out. 

A few people have looked at it.

The main issue is that now it has been removed straightening the car is much more diffucult as there is no reference point. I will upload a photo of how it sits currently. 

Thankyou for your input. 

Cheers 

Joseph

IMG20180902170238.jpg

cid_514.jpeg

Ah, I remember seeing these photos in a previous post. The 260Z one your panelbeater makes is for the later 260; he may not realise there are different 260Zs (the later 260 panel is quite different, the front rail dips down, the radiator is taller). Early 260s - like mine, a '74 - would have much the same panel as your '73; it looks the same comparing your photos above to my car. So who removed it? If he makes the later 260 type can he not fabricate an 'early' panel for your car? He has the original to go by. Or repair. What about the chassis front X-rail, is that reusable?

There are published chassis dimensions to check whether the upper & lower frame rails are within spec - jack them apart, or pull them in - and re-install & adjust the X-rail & panel to suit. Is the car on a chassis alignment machine? I'm not understanding why this is holding you up, must be so frustrating.

Edited by gilltech

21 hours ago, gilltech said:

Ah, I remember seeing these photos in a previous post. The 260Z one your panelbeater makes is for the later 260; he may not realise there are different 260Zs (the later 260 panel is quite different, the front rail dips down, the radiator is taller). Early 260s - like mine, a '74 - would have much the same panel as your '73; it looks the same comparing your photos above to my car. So who removed it? If he makes the later 260 type can he not fabricate an 'early' panel for your car? He has the original to go by. Or repair. What about the chassis front X-rail, is that reusable?

There are published chassis dimensions to check whether the upper & lower frame rails are within spec - jack them apart, or pull them in - and re-install & adjust the X-rail & panel to suit. Is the car on a chassis alignment machine? I'm not understanding why this is holding you up, must be so frustrating.

^This.
Personally, I'd just make a new Rad. support panel.

It's not rocket science to fix them. I do it reasonably often:
20181112_142249.thumb.jpg.b123031582ece576689aa79d44ca91b7.jpg

20181221_152851.thumb.jpg.805fdfb2cb1aac7254506da1f2b77ee0.jpg