240z reproduction dashes - expression of interest?

scotta

How much interest is there in getting replacement dashes for 240z / Fairlady Z?

I have a Fairlady Z RHD car and am currently based in the US and have been looking for a replacement rather than going down the rebuild path.

Hung Vu, who is very active in the US Z community, has been producing reproduction Z parts for some time. He recently started developing dash replacements.  Vintage dashes have done a LHD 240z (Mk1 & 2), 260z / 280z version as well as 510 and other cars. They are the dashpad only, fitting over your existing frame.

I have seen these dashes installed on a few 240z at local meets. They are very good quality and built using more modern material, hence much more likely to last than OEM stock. 

He has plans to do a RHD 240z version, it is in the mold process. If we can demonstrate interest it will help him gauge demand and move the priority up the list. Please post here if you are interested and email them them to get your name on a wait list 'Vintagedashes@Gmail.com'

https://www.instagram.com/vintagedashes/?hl=en

43820680_783071092058013_2224799038393638352_n.jpg.3470301c352c76d6bb833c120b34c93b.jpg

42742673_507474303104333_179084985424154385_n(1).jpg

Edited by gav240z
Hung Vu* is correct (Not Hong Vu).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had a chat with Hung a month or so ago.

Relative to the LHD versions there is only a small demand for the 240z. Whilst he has spent a lot of time looking for manufactures that will do smaller volumes, the tooling cost are still quite high. Min volume to make it viable is about 1000 dashes. As a result at this stage he is unlikely to do the RHD 240z dashes.

Let hope things change in the future and this gets back on the list. 

I had a reply from the office, I assume either Ivan or Hung.

In response to my enquiry as to whether or not this project will be going ahead, and likely cost, they said:

We don't have the price until we start the process. Will put you on the waiting list.”

So maybe a glimmer of hope in this? not in any rush so I’m happy to watch this space ::)

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

I know Hung quite well and have spoken to him about the viability of this venture, the challenge is that RHD cars are considerably more rare than LHD cars. Whilst a number of you have indicated interest, you'll have to remember the shipping costs and conversion to USD$ that will push the prices up.

I have to ask why folks would opt for a reproduction dashboard when a completely acceptable (IMHO) option exists via the Dashboard Doctor in Coburg that vacuum skins your existing dashboards?

https://www.dashboarddoctor.com.au/

I have a spare 240z dashboard (rough shape) that I was going to send off to The Dashboard Doctor for restoration and then put up for sale on an exchange (core basis). You send me your old dash and I send out a restored dashboard. This way your car isn't off the road, you can receive a good dash and then when you remove your old 1 send it back and I can repeat the process.

• 1 year later...

little update for RHD dashes. I just saw Freddy from Top Stage in Melbourne on the 25/5/21 and he said he makes whole dashes either fibre glass for $640 or Carbon for around $1550. he is taking orders through contacting him directly on his number found on his website. picture below of the carbon dash. No photo description available.